Sleepyvillain - A new band to impress your friends with!

PDA

View Full Version : Sleepyvillain - A new band to impress your friends with!

jackbutt
12-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Sleepyvillain is a one man group. Its bleeps and blips, electronic drum tracks, and all that stuff we've come to know in love.

Akila Fields, the only member, has his background in jazz piano. He's absolutely brilliant. He worked teaching jazz combos at the Arizona Jazz Academy before leaving to play organ for The Ringling Bros. circus. Now located in Florida, he makes his living doing commercial jazz gigs, but does Sleepyvillain on the side.

His influences are:
Radiohead, tv on the radio, Broken Social Scene, Tortoise, Deerhoof, Thelonius Monk, Squarepusher, Miles Davis, Olivier Messaien, Bjork, Andrew Hill, Wayne Shorter, Mos Def, Flaming Lips, Madlib, De La Soul, Ben Allison, The Bad Plus, Greg Osby, Jason Moran, Quasimoto, Common, Joe Lovano, Kurt Rosenweinkel, Charles Mingus, Robert Gomez, Ornette Coleman, Fiery Furnaces, Brad Mehldau, so on and so forth............

http://www.myspace.com/sleepyvillain

Andrewbiles
12-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Really like this chilled out, glichy electronic stuff, and his is good, but its not really much new. I think the quality of myspace is letting it down quite a bit as well. I've got a friend at Uni who does it really well (should be under dottusk or .tusk on myspace - I'd highly recommend checking it out).

jackbutt
12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
This guy was actually my jazz piano teacher and he taught my jazz combo when I played at the Arizona Jazz Academy. He's very young and extremely talented. Definatly not something super new, but something fun to listen to all the same.

.tusk was good. Although I like more of a build up. Another band I would suggest checking into is the Lymbyc Systym. It's just two brothers. The drummer is absolutely amazing. When my band played with them, the drummer played this incredible beat and orchestra bells on his snare at the same time.

http://www.myspace.com/thelymbycsystym

Andrewbiles
12-16-2006, 09:35 PM
That's really good stuff.

Just noticed a comment saying they've opened for Buckethead? That's slightly odd...

Shine On...
12-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Anyone heard of 'We Will Build'? They're another electronica band that mixes frequent acoustic guitarwork into their stuff. It's pretty chill, you guys might like it.

Myspace: www.myspace.com/wewillbuild

The blog 'I guess I'm floating' has a nice chunk of their songs, i'm not sure of the exact link, but it would be easy to find on elbo.ws.