What Do You Think?

PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think?

Doolittle
12-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Alright guys, i am very upset at the moment. I get Guitar World magazine, i mostly get it for the tabs, but sometimes they have interesting stuff. So anyways in this past issue, there was this poll for best Alt-Rock guitarist. and this made me sick. Numer Uno was....was.. Wolfmother. They got like 26% of the votes. But The Mars Volta got 25%. now i don't listen to them, but i think they're like the only ones who actually deserve to be on this list. Jack White too, but he came in last with only 12% of the votes. And i read a fan letter saying basically that guitar world is too close minded and needs more Jonny Greenwood. I full heartedly agree with this statement. What does the real Alt/Indie crowd think of this magazine. I've been wondering this for a while. I think there's way too much shredding involed. anyways, discuss.

bobthemonkey14
12-16-2006, 02:35 PM
That's some ****ed up shit right there...even if TMV wasn't my favorite band. It seems like everything out there is being converted to the mainstream, and people are starting to lose sight of what real music is about.

DorkusMalorkus
12-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I think I get some of them because I bought something from somewhere that gave me a subscription. But I don't read them. Really it is pretty lame, so I wouldn't be upset because of something like that.

The only magazine that I read: Arthur

Patches McGee
12-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Personally, I think this is because Guitar World is a very shitty publication that fails to cover artists that are, in my opinion (and probably others as well) more deserving and consequently publicly obscure artists. But it's good to see the Mars Volta being recognized, though GW has been covering them since the release of Deloused.

Nevertheless, I still agree with you that there are a maryiad artists in the genre who have put out great records this year with awesome guitar playng and I'm surprised that even the most obvious artists who sorta broke through in 06 putting albums that won the praise of fans and critics alike. (TV on the Radio and the Decemebrists) and although they've been around forever but still managed to crank out one of my favorite records of this year, Sonic Youth also deserve some recognition for being consistently awesome for all these years.

Knife2aGunFight
12-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I think most people here wouldn't care. I sure as hell don't.

jagstang270
12-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Like anything in entertainment, they need ratings.

pumpkins_rule
12-16-2006, 04:10 PM
The thing is Alt/Indie almost never has really technical guitar work. The focus is more on the songwriting and is not always dominated by guitar.

Doolittle
12-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Personally, I think this is because Guitar World is a very shitty publication that fails to cover artists that are, in my opinion (and probably others as well) more deserving and consequently publicly obscure artists. But it's good to see the Mars Volta being recognized, though GW has been covering them since the release of Deloused.

Nevertheless, I still agree with you that there are a maryiad artists in the genre who have put out great records this year with awesome guitar playng and I'm surprised that even the most obvious artists who sorta broke through in 06 putting albums that won the praise of fans and critics alike. (TV on the Radio and the Decemebrists) and although they've been around forever but still managed to crank out one of my favorite records of this year, Sonic Youth also deserve some recognition for being consistently awesome for all these years.
sonic youth should have been in there do you guys want me to post all of the alt. poll? i know you guys probably don't care like someone said, but man it just pisses me off.....

change of subbject: What artists do you think deserve to be considered "best alt./indie guitarists of 06" like who did a good job and such

opivy21
12-16-2006, 07:39 PM
change of subbject: What artists do you think deserve to be considered "best alt./indie guitarists of 06" like who did a good job and such
Allan McNaughton from Giant Haystacks. If you like the Minutemen, and I know that you do, then you should check 'em out. They list the Minutemen as an influence and you can definitely hear it.

Doolittle
12-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Allan McNaughton from Giant Haystacks. If you like the Minutemen, and I know that you do, then you should check 'em out. They list the Minutemen as an influence and you can definitely hear it.
hey man thanks i'm gonna check em out

Andrewbiles
12-16-2006, 09:39 PM
The more popular the band, the more people have heard of them, the more people will vote for them. You're not going to get many people voting for Sam Zurick just because none of his bands have ever really broken out like Wolfmother and TMV.

Omar is a great guitarist though when he wants to be, just a shame he plays such horrible music with his talent.

Patches McGee
12-16-2006, 11:00 PM
The more popular the band, the more people have heard of them, the more people will vote for them. You're not going to get many people voting for Sam Zurick just because none of his bands have ever really broken out like Wolfmother and TMV.

Exactly.

I'm not surprised by the results at all.

It's a bit of a shame that GW doesn't cover the more talented artists (with the exception of TMV) in the genre instead of catering to the needs of GW's key demographic ("true rockers") by doing articles about the more popular (and in most cases generic) "rock" bands like A7X and Hinder.

But that's how mass media works I guess....

*shrugs*

AWA
12-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Man, can you expect much from a guitarist magazine?

bobthemonkey14
12-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Omar is a great guitarist though when he wants to be, just a shame he plays such horrible music with his talent.

Says YOU. I think he's a genius. When it comes down to it, none of these lists or other shit is really comprehensive, since it's all a matter of opinion in the end. Besides, I wouldn't even consider TMV to be an alt/indie band...they're something like jazz fusion/psychedelic acid rock with a latin feel at times, but that's not exactly a genre you could put anything else into.

slinks
12-17-2006, 10:33 PM
You're not going to get many people voting for Sam Zurick

One can always dream, though. *sigh*

Goon
12-17-2006, 11:20 PM
The thing is Alt/Indie almost never has really technical guitar work. The focus is more on the songwriting and is not always dominated by guitar.

Meh, I disagree with you sir.

The Alt and Indie genre can cover such a huge variety of music, so in turn there are many bands out there which do indeed have a major focus on guitar. There are plenty! There are also plenty that don't but there is a definite balance between the two.