[GP5/MIDI] Relaxing, two piano, short peice

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5/MIDI] Relaxing, two piano, short peice

dopey_toad
12-17-2006, 11:06 AM
This is a GP5/midi file, and its my first attempt at trying to put two intruments together in unison,

i dont think ive done a very good job of that, but people say its pretty good, so i will see what you lovely young people say

dunno what its called, and its only 12 bars long

its two pianos btw, no guitar, unless you change the instrument, (but i dont think it sounds as good in GP if you do that)

mattvl
12-17-2006, 11:14 AM
It doesn't sound bad by any means, and for a first try that's something to be proud of but I think that the MIDI also takes away from it a little bit. It almost sounded as much like two guitars as two pianos. If you got an actual recording not only would it sound better (in my opinion anyway) but it would also give you a practical way of making changes (my best songs or transitions usually come by playing a piece over and over and then screwing up, going out of key, and then somehow it turns out amazing...I guess when you playing any song thousands of times chances are you'll accidentally do something cool by accident).

cashewchaching
12-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Check some of the chord voicings around the 5 second mark. otherwise, it's prettymuch just a generic chord progression fingerpicked.

dopey_toad
12-17-2006, 11:16 AM
It doesn't sound bad by any means, and for a first try that's something to be proud of but I think that the MIDI also takes away from it a little bit. It almost sounded as much like two guitars as two pianos. If you got an actual recording not only would it sound better (in my opinion anyway) but it would also give you a practical way of making changes (my best songs or transitions usually come by playing a piece over and over and then screwing up, going out of key, and then somehow it turns out amazing...I guess when you playing any song thousands of times chances are you'll accidentally do something cool by accident).

What changes would you make?

jplay5
12-17-2006, 11:22 AM
its okay, the first track sounds a lot like 'civil war' just in a major key

mattvl
12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Well it's hard to say until I'm playing the song myself. If there was one thing that I would work on though it would have to be a solid melody, even incorporate a third instrument but you want some kind of flow that the listener can latch on to. Just put the song on repeat and then use your piano (or guitar) and fiddle around in the same key, find a line you like and work with it.

EDIT: I just listened to it over again, it's hard to really make changes since it is such a short piece however there are a few variations near the end that I would make a little more pronounced so that it builds into a chorus line. Say after the last bit you switch to a deep bass chord progression with some higher but soft melody lines to get that visceral feeling but still keeping the song emotional/sombre...I'm just trying to think of a good example that you could use as a reference...I can't thing of anything right now, too tired I guess, I'll write back in a few days when I get back home.

the_captn_flint
12-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I think when you put instruments together you need to be VERY SURE that each individual part is as clean as possible. You have the right idea, but there is way too much "noise", to the point where the melody is barely even discernable. Try flat-picking each part and see where it gets you...
-Ben
aka; THE MASTER