Liquid Tension Experiment

PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Tension Experiment

AMGram
12-17-2006, 07:13 PM
What do you think of them compared to Dream Theater? Some songs are an aquired taste, but I think John Petrucci makes both bands sound similar. His playing may be more pronounced or just plain weird in Liquid Tension Experiment, any thoughts?

lit1219
12-17-2006, 07:21 PM
I love both bands, (and the funny thing is i was listening to LTE when i came across this thread) but i cant choose which i like more. Petrucci is a true guitarist.

TheHeartbreaker
12-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I haven't really listened to Liquid Tension Experiment before.

They sound interesting, considering who is in the band.

Any recommendations?

Godly Moose
12-18-2006, 12:15 AM
IMO Liquid Tension Experiment > Dream Theater

Any recommendations?

Basically three of the four members our from Dream Theater(Well Rudess joined DT after LTE came out). Think prog mixed with fusion.

garden of grey
12-18-2006, 01:05 AM
I used to think LTE were a different prog band with different members than DT lol. I liked both of them though (still do)

BigFatSandwich
12-18-2006, 01:14 AM
LTE is a little bit more... out there.

Stratmaster69
12-18-2006, 01:38 AM
i like dream theater more than LTE but both are amazing but as you said before LTE has some songs that are definitly an aquired taste, where as i own 7 DT albums and have yet to find a song i didnt like right off the bat

xxdarrenxx
12-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Dream theater keeps it more metal as liquid tension are pushing the boundaries of virtuosity, strangness, richness and sound. Not saying dream theater doesn't do that stuff, but i think liquid tension is an outlet for them where by dream theater is just a band.

A bit like my own situation I guess, maybe Im wrong. But i;m in a rockband for playing live with a band, where as with some other musicians we are really pushing boundaries as far as our techniques and musical tastes allow us.

Musical wise - liquid tension

Bandwise - dream theater

Resiliance
12-18-2006, 07:10 AM
LTE kicks DT's ass.

Talon6
12-18-2006, 07:20 AM
DT is my favorite band, but I often find that I like LTE more than DT. Probably because they're pretty much the same, only without James LaBrie. Don't know how much input Levin and Myung have.

Kris_man
12-18-2006, 09:11 AM

Any recommendations?

Yeah bro:

Fast/loud songs: Acid Rain, Paradigm Shift, Universal Mind, Another Dimension, Kindred Spirits

Slower more mellow stuff: Osmosis, Hourglass, Biaxident

You can't go too wrong with LTE; awesome band. I love Dream Theater but I think Liquid Tension Experiment just take the cake. Petrucci's best work was done with them. Also, Dream Theater sound at times like they're trying to fit into the metal genre (eg, "Lie"), and it sounds a bit unnatural. I don't get that vibe with LTE, with them it's just free musical expression.

Talon6
12-18-2006, 12:34 PM
When the Water Breaks and Another Dimension are my personal favorites.

The first five tracks of LTE 2 are the greatest 40 minutes of instrumental metal ever recorded.

chase09
12-18-2006, 04:29 PM
They rule, Petrucci > all and I am listing to LTE right now (When the Water Breaks) as I type.

Erc
12-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm not a fan.

I only like a few tracks.

6DOIT
12-18-2006, 10:55 PM
DT is my favorite band, but I often find that I like LTE more than DT. Probably because they're pretty much the same, only without James LaBrie. Don't know how much input Levin and Myung have.

Umm myung is not involved with LTE.... And Rudess wasnt in DT at the time. The point was for Petrucci and Portnoy to kick musical @$$!!! Just Because we got an incredible keyboardist out of the ordeal, i still dont think of as being basically DT with out a singer.

Hot Pants
12-19-2006, 02:45 AM
When the water breaks has gotta be close to Mike's best drumming efforts and probably one of petrucci's greatest, especially creatively speaking.

Love them both. Both up top in the fave bands.

Tantalus
12-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Both are absolutely amazing.

I think that both Levin and Myung are absolutely amazing. The main difference between the bands is that LTE is much jazzier, and a lot of their music (with the exception of When The Water Breaks) is jammed instead of composed.

Stratmaster69
12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
its hard to believe that LTE wrote acid rain in less than 2 hours, like thats a pretty amazing and complex song

get-born
12-21-2006, 01:01 AM
I like LTE, but I really don't think they match up with Dream Theater. Acid Rain is one of the greatest album openers I have ever heard.

bbqBBking
12-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Anyone looking for reccomendations, just buy both albums.

Talon6
12-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Umm myung is not involved with LTE....

Yes, I know; the only member difference between DT and LTE during the writing process at this point is Myung vs Levin. I was comparing how much influence they each have on their respective groups.

And Rudess wasnt in DT at the time.

He didn't join because of Liquid Tension Experiment, he joined because they weren't content with Sherinian. Rudess even played a show or two as a hired hand on the Awake tour as a hired gun before Sherinian came around. That was when their ideas started circulating with each other.

You've watched the Five Years in a LIVETime DVD commentary, right? It's all explained there.

Godly Moose
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Liquid Tension Experiment 3??? If so I would be insanely stoked.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/liquid_tension_experiment_3_is_possible.html

The Virtuoso
01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
^Awesome!

SnowballofDoom
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
He didn't join because of Liquid Tension Experiment, he joined because they weren't content with Sherinian. Rudess even played a show or two as a hired hand on the Awake tour as a hired gun before Sherinian came around. That was when their ideas started circulating with each other.

You've watched the Five Years in a LIVETime DVD commentary, right? It's all explained there.

DT was never discontent with Derek...

"All four of us really admire Derek and like him as a person, but it was really just a business decision. It was more about what was right about Jordan, as opposed to what was wrong about Derek. We decided that Jordan was what we wanted and where we wanted to take the band in the future. After John P and I worked with him, we thought "why should we work with him part-time? Let's work with him full-time." And it wasn't out of disrespect to Derek, it was just what we thought was better for the band. "

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/about/mpfaq/showquestion.asp?menu=about&faq=1&fldAuto=460

6DOIT
01-25-2007, 09:40 PM
We listened to LTE 2 in my Mechanical Drawing class yesterday!!!!! Everyone was like WTF.......This one girl was like"You buy cds without singing?"......But after she got over that she said it was actually kinda cool.......i was like air guitaring with my 4H pencil...................YAY!!!! listened to When the water breaks first.................My tech teacher was a music major first..........thats why i got away with it...........i got him interested by talking about the chapman stick..........anyway thats my story.........sorry about my...................punctuation.. :D

Baroque_and_Rol
01-25-2007, 09:47 PM
^ Nice! We listened to Malmsteen's Concierto Suite in my Music Theory class along time ago.

Godly Moose
01-25-2007, 09:48 PM
We listened to LTE 2 in my Mechanical Drawing class yesterday!!!!! Everyone was like WTF.......This one girl was like"You buy cds without singing?"......But after she got over that she said it was actually kinda cool.......i was like air guitaring with my 4H pencil...................YAY!!!! listened to When the water breaks first.................My tech teacher was a music major first..........thats why i got away with it...........i got him interested by talking about the chapman stick..........anyway thats my story.........sorry about my...................punctuation.. :D

4H That's the lighter(not counting number) of the two different pencils correct?

lobster624
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
someone on the first page said LTE was for portnoy and petrucci to kick ass...i read that portnoy didnt have petrucci on the top of his list at first
i also read that dimebag was almost guitarist for LTE
and i'm pretty sure portnoy wanted to recruit rudess for DT
and on a side note i'm also pretty sure a lot of LTE is improv.

both bands kick ass BTW but i'd say i like LTE more

6DOIT
01-25-2007, 11:02 PM
4H That's the lighter(not counting number) of the two different pencils correct?
yup........there is a lighter 6h tho too...............if by two different you mean 4h and HB.....

Godly Moose
01-26-2007, 01:00 AM
yup........there is a lighter 6h tho too...............if by two different you mean 4h and HB.....

Yeah I took an art class for two semesters. I forgot what was what.

6DOIT
01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Werd...........................

"putnamehere"
02-13-2007, 08:41 PM
The opening of Paradigm Shift blew my mind. I'm downloading both of their albums as I type this.

SGRocker0791
02-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Amazing band, they are. More reasons why I say Petrucci is a guitar god. :p:

justine0393
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
its hard to believe that LTE wrote acid rain in less than 2 hours, like thats a pretty amazing and complex song

wtf! you serious?!?!?!?

"putnamehere"
02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
wtf! you serious?!?!?!?
I think he means it the other way around.

Maet
02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
I like LTE more than DT. Due in large part for the fact that LaBrie has an annoying voice at times.

Paradigm Shift and Biaxident are my favourites. I'm actually a fan of the DT instrumentals over the vocal stuff. Stream Of Consciousness, Erotomania, Overture 1928, etc.

Witch-king
02-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I like LTE more than DT. Due in large part for the fact that LaBrie has an annoying voice at times.

same here, except id go so far as to say i hate the DT singer and he ruins the band for me.

Baroque_and_Rol
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
same here, except id go so far as to say i hate the DT singer and he ruins the band for me.
Am I the only person on this thread who digs La Bries voice?

chase09
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Nope.

spazzymagee417
02-22-2007, 06:27 PM
i only have the song acid rain. it's awesome.

tubab0y
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
he's a good singer, just not for prog.

SGRocker0791
02-22-2007, 09:17 PM

I dig LaBrie's vocals. I can hear why some people don't like them, but I think they are very good.

Baroque_and_Rol
03-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I dig LaBrie's vocals. I can hear why some people don't like them, but I think they are very good.
yeah, i can see where people could dislike them but i think hes very good. one of my favorites.

Quintessence153
03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
I prefer LTE to DT. There's this jazzy element to the music that really adds a lot to the atmosphere. My favorite songs are Biaxident and Paradigm Shift.

"putnamehere"
03-05-2007, 06:58 AM
The intro to Paradigm Shift= Best way to die.

lobster624
03-06-2007, 01:12 AM
The intro to Paradigm Shift= Best way to die.

either that or when the water breaks...i guess that's a little ironic.

Baroque_and_Rol
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
I prefer LTE to DT. There's this jazzy element to the music that really adds a lot to the atmosphere. My favorite songs are Biaxident and Paradigm Shift.
Biaxident is one of the most amazing things i've ever heard.

utahotc
03-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Acid Rain is blazing fast. And stays that way. Paradigm is awesome, but im not fond of that slow part.

Baroque_and_Rol
03-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Acid Rain is blazing fast. And stays that way. Paradigm is awesome, but im not fond of that slow part.
I like it. it adds atmosphere to it

6_6_6_1_syn
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I was just having a Dream Theater vs. Liquid Tnesion Experiment argument with my friend, and after about 15 minutes we realized it was a pointless argument, considering theyre pretty much the same band.

I think Dream Theater just uses LTE as a way to express themselves, be a little more innovative (if possible), and just combine every extreme into each song to give it a perfect progressive feel. Acid Rain...beautiful...still my favorite :rolleyes:

They amaze me (both DT and LTE) and i don't think i could possibly like either more

(especially as long as Petrucci's there ;) )

:D

YtseJams20
03-11-2007, 12:21 PM
either that or when the water breaks...i guess that's a little ironic.

ah when the water breaks is soooooo amazing. 17 mins of grace! nothing can beat that unmistakeable 6 degrees guitar tone that just apears from nowhere early on... im gonna have to listen to it right now. :)

dreg691
03-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I prefer LTE to Dream Theater. Acid Rain, Biaxident, Universal Mind, Paradigm Shift... all awesome tunes.

Rich

lobster624
03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I prefer LTE to Dream Theater. Acid Rain, Biaxident, Universal Mind, Paradigm Shift... all awesome tunes.

Rich

agreed, but i kind of go in and out. sometimes i'll go through a DT period and sometimes LTE. it's hard for me, but i think i would choose LTE over DT.

goldmember1217
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Mega-bump!

Anyways, LTE is awesome. Paradigm Shift and Universal Mind are the songs that got me into Shred.

DaFjory
02-26-2008, 12:45 AM
As much as I like LTE, I can honestly say that Planet X pisses all over them. MacAlpine smokes 'Trucci in every way, as does Sherinian over Rudess. (Drums and bass don't matter.)

lobster624
02-26-2008, 02:54 AM
i've only heard moon babies by planet x, but i prefer LTE. i think LTE has some of petrucci's best work. i definitely want to check out more planet x though...

DaFjory
02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, for more Planet X try 'Universe' and 'Quantum'. Those are the only other albums they've done! ;)

Y'know, I reckon LTE and Planet X are quite similar in a lot of ways. They both have DT keyboardists, both have world class guitarists, both are prog metal/fusion/instrumental rock, both are very jammy and complex in musical style, and both have only 3 albums out.

Imagine a mashup between the two Sherinian teaming up with Petrucci, and Rudess with MacAlpine or Garsed; all on the same album. Prog madness!

torturer6067
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Well, for more Planet X try 'Universe' and 'Quantum'. Those are the only other albums they've done! ;)

Y'know, I reckon LTE and Planet X are quite similar in a lot of ways. They both have DT keyboardists, both have world class guitarists, both are prog metal/fusion/instrumental rock, both are very jammy and complex in musical style, and both have only 3 albums out.

Imagine a mashup between the two Sherinian teaming up with Petrucci, and Rudess with MacAlpine or Garsed; all on the same album. Prog madness!

you forgot the planet x-planet x albums! its actualy sherinians side project or the first planet x album! lost island is on the album and its the best song theyve made! dont forget virgil donati on drums too! hes one of the est if not the best prog drummer out there! planet x have a much better vibe and they are much more unpredictable!

planet x >dream theater

lobster624
02-26-2008, 10:13 PM
do you mean planet x > LTE? there was no discussion of DT before you said that... unless you just felt like saying that?

torturer6067
02-27-2008, 02:39 AM
yeah i dont know why i wrote DT! lol

Minkaro
02-27-2008, 03:49 AM
The piano solos in Universal Mind are great.

sock_demon
02-29-2008, 01:43 PM

+1 DT side prjects like Jordan's and Petrucci's solo work are chock full of stuff you probably wouldn't hear DT put out, so they really get their loads shot off everywhere with these kinds of ventures. i'm listening to Rudess' Time Crunch right now, and the guitar solo is probably one of the best I've ever heard from a guitar, I love that backing track, makes you feel like you're slipping into a trance, then the guitar comes in and crap..... just that jazz element really gets me into the music.