how can i relic my guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : how can i relic my guitar?

ezequiel89
12-18-2006, 01:32 AM
hey,
i have a fender usa stratocaster, olympic white, maple neck and i'm bored with it's appearance, i really like relic guitars (when done well) and i wondered if i could get mine to look like John Frusciante's white '62 stratocaster he uses in the dani california video. so how might i go about doing that? any tips?

thanks

Generalpwnt
12-18-2006, 01:41 AM
How to relic a guitar:
1) Build a machine that makes whatever inside of it go age faster. Think of it as an inside out time machine.
2) Place guitar inside machine.
3) Rinse and repeat.

Owned
12-18-2006, 01:42 AM
well, the main areas of wear would be where your forearm rests when playing and above the pickguard where the pick scratches off the finish, i'm sure you can find something using google.

peever
12-18-2006, 02:03 AM
belt buckles are how the fender custom shop does it

ezequiel89
12-18-2006, 02:10 AM
^belt buckles, what just wacking them against the body?. thanks, any other tips?

breadstick
12-18-2006, 02:11 AM
why would you ruin an american strat on purpose!?! (collapses in violent spasm)

ezequiel89
12-18-2006, 02:13 AM
^i don't want to ruin it lol. just want to make it cooler
i dont want to over do it, just have a few chips/scrathes here and there

johnos
12-18-2006, 02:32 AM
maybe you should buy a cheapo guitar to practise on ebfore you go and potentially mess up a very expensive guitar

ezequiel89
12-18-2006, 02:50 AM
^but it's not the same with cheap guitars, cos the paint/finish can be easily chipped/scrathed off, unlike my my strat, which has like six layers of of different coloured coatings.

vanzant38
12-18-2006, 03:10 AM
I just don't get it. I know what it is. I know what it's called. I just don't get it.

Adios.

thedonutman
12-18-2006, 06:11 AM
to remove big layers of paint, like eric clapton's blackie for example, you can use a belt sander, but use high grit belts, and dont press too hard or you will reshape the wood which might be bad

anyway, IMHO, unless you are directly copying a "reliced" instrument scratch for scratch, like jaco's jazz bass or blackie, I think the whole relic thing is a bit cheesy.

R_H_C_P
12-18-2006, 06:32 AM
^Don't use a belt sander.

Just chip bits off the paint with a bunch of keys, maybe use some wire wool to dull down the finish in some places.

ezequiel89
12-18-2006, 01:47 PM
thanks for comments so far, but just in case it goes horribly wrong, how much would it cost me to get it completely (professionally) re-stored/repainted/re-finished?

notsojoeyb4eva
12-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Why not keep the thing for about 25 years, do rigurous violent giging, spill beer on it and play it as hard as you can for honestly the next 25 years and you'll have a bang up relic job *thumbs up*
post pictures when done lol :)

Rock Savior
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I hope that we wont have to wait that long....

What kind of relic are you looking for....as there a millions of different ways....

I think the reliced fenders don't look very good....

Heres a list of things you could do....
Paint thinner to take off some paint...
keys to chip it
belt buckle
drag on concrete
soysauce on pickgaurds or bare wood
cigarette burns

theres tons of ways to do it....and the key part IMO is to be unique....

sashki
12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Remove the neck and electronics wait for it to snow, then ride the body down a hill like a sledge, hitting rocks on the way.

lookie here
12-18-2006, 09:42 PM
How to relic a guitar:
1) Build a machine that makes whatever inside of it go age faster. Think of it as an inside out time machine.
2) Place guitar inside machine.
3) Rinse and repeat.
:haha TO relic it just beat the shit outta it or check out AlGeeEaters thread

CorduroyEW
12-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I have always said that I never relic a guitar. I age it. To age a guitar and make it look real takes practice. Most poeple don't get it there 1st try so you will not want to do it on your MIA stat before you tired it on something else.

The key to aging is you take the finish off where your body come in contact with the guitar. The best way to do this is with high grit sandpaper. You can use low grit paper to get yourself most of the way there, but once the wear is starting to look close, then you need to jump to something like 400 to 600 grit and sand very lightly. Keep in mind that it's supposed to be your skin that took the finish off the guitar and your skin is very soft.

You will also need a few hard wear marks. Belt buckles on the back of the guitar work well but you will also need to get some chips where you think your guitar might bang into stuff. The best way to get these is to bang it into stuff. I like to keep the chipping to a minimum because I want the guitar to look old and used, not beat up.

You will also need to make some light serface scratches just to help everything blend together. Some of the scratching will need to be done with steel wool and some will need to be done with sand paper of variouse grits. You don't want to go over the whole guitar, just the spots that seem like the need it.

ezequiel89
12-19-2006, 12:30 PM
thanks for your helpful comments, i'm actually thinking whether i should keep it how it is or relic it. i might do it but if i comes out crap, i'll have to repaint it professionally, maybe the same colour or a different colour. anyways i'm goin on holiday tomorrow morning so i won't be on here for about 10 days.

cheers.

silverguitar
12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I think you should just leave it and let it gather its scratches and chips along the way. That way it will look cooler in time but not fake, I hate seeing people buy relic guitars so people think they have been using that guitar for ages.

beggles
12-19-2006, 07:28 PM
throw some wet coffee on it or some hot tea bags then put a lighter to it...works with paper =D

TJM2482
12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Dude do you think John Frusciante just purposely slammed his guitar with a belt? Just let it naturally wear down, your a tool if you think it's worth ****ing the body up just for it to "look cool".

ExplorerFreak
12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Dude do you think John Frusciante just purposely slammed his guitar with a belt? Just let it naturally wear down, your a tool if you think it's worth ****ing the body up just for it to "look cool".

Your a tool if you think that you have the right to criticise his choice of what he wants to do with his guitar.

TinTin8
12-19-2006, 09:45 PM
throw it on contrete ... drag it across the road ... coffee on it ... belt slashes ... etc :)

Rock Savior
12-19-2006, 10:15 PM
^^(up 2)exactly....

He can do what he wants, and you can do what you want...

pacman-man
12-19-2006, 11:14 PM
drag it behind a car on a gravel road

R_H_C_P
12-20-2006, 06:39 AM
People have to get this into their heads.

Poly finishes don't age like nitro finishes do, so you can't wait for his Strat to relic itself.

Punk_Ninja
12-20-2006, 07:56 AM
don't do it like that, just let it age on its own but dont treat it like a 700 guitar like it is, treat it like you dont care about it (you obviously dont to do this :p: ) and with time it should work, like when your playing make sure you're wearing a big ass belt buckle and stuff like that

Noverion
12-20-2006, 11:52 AM
i find it amusing to purposely hit things with my guitar, it looks funny :)

but its a cheap guitar, not a bloody fender strat, keep it nice! :(

woodenbandman
12-20-2006, 12:32 PM
yeah.

to relic it, something i have never done, it seems like you should start by holding your guitar, wearing a big belt buckle, and find where the spots you touch are. be sure to rust the saddles and pickup covers, but don't mess with the tuners or they might not work. even if they are sealed, and are supposed to be protected, i wouldn't personally mess w/them. don;t forget the input jack, pickup magnets, and such.

leave the frets alone, but work on the fretboard with like light sandpaper or something. make sure you cover the frets so you don't f-them up. you should be able to wear down the stain on the fretboard lightly, so it looks like you played it forever.

and lightly sand with VEry light grit steel wool on the body to dull the finish, like 1500-2500. and the same with the neck. go slightly longer on the body contour, chip it, belt buckle it, and drop the body a bit. take the neck and hardware off when you drop it, and drop it on a wood or linoleum floor, unless you want to dent it.

last, soak the pickup covers and pickguard in light tea or coffee. it's a white guitar, so you don't want them too dark.

fell free to flame me if you think any of this is wrong as it is all hearsay/ common sense

R_H_C_P
12-20-2006, 02:59 PM
But still, the finish won't wear easily, the belt buckle thing will just scratch the poly, not wear it down.

Rock Savior
12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
true, but you could just sand the poly off where you contact it, and play it for a while...

the paint will come off naturally that way...personally I'm a fan of reliced guitars, but you have to be careful that they dont look cheesy...

R_H_C_P
12-21-2006, 08:06 AM
^Nope, it still just puts big scratch marks and doesn't actually wear it down, I've tried it.

I've found that the best way to wear/dull down a finish is to take some wire wool to the area, 'till it's smooth and satin-like, and then rub sweat on it and it makes it a bit more shiny, so it looks like a vintage finish.

And chip random parts, then do the same, looks good.

Mr.Rodgers
12-21-2006, 08:35 AM
^but it's not the same with cheap guitars, cos the paint/finish can be easily chipped/scrathed off, unlike my my strat, which has like six layers of of different coloured coatings.

Maybe there's a reason for that...

dave293
12-21-2006, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't try relicing a guitar with a poly finish tbh. It doesn't work the same as nitro and very rarely looks real, it's very easy to tell it was reliced.

zekk
12-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Play the fuck out of it. Best way ever.

zekk
12-21-2006, 02:06 PM
But still, the finish won't wear easily, the belt buckle thing will just scratch the poly, not wear it down.

I thought all USA made fenders were nitro?

7PlaGues
12-21-2006, 02:09 PM
if you are getting bored with your USA strat, trade it to me:)

R_H_C_P
12-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought all USA made fenders were nitro?
Nope.

The vintage reissues and custom shop Strats use nitro though, and the highway ones use a thin coat of nitro.

mEtAlORc
12-21-2006, 03:57 PM
what does "relic a guitar" mean?

pr1son3r
12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
what does "relic a guitar" mean?

Make it look old, vintage, or like a 'relic'. Usually destroys any and all value the guitar once had unless a. was naturally done over a period of 20+ years or b. was done by a custom shop that has a lot of experience and can make it look good. Go look at some relic'ed guitars people tried to do themselves on ebays, 9 times out of 10 they're awful and the owners just want to get rid of the mess after.

Satch_Boogie
12-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Please someone tell me the whole thread is a joke. Deliberately abusing your guitar? Whats wrong with you?!

*Scared*

FruscianteFnatC
12-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Nope.

The vintage reissues and custom shop Strats use nitro though, and the highway ones use a thin coat of nitro.

Does that mean the 60's reissues come with nitro. Not the '62 but the 60's strats.

Falcatarius
12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I think that almost all relics look pretty sh*tty. Even custom shop ones. (Their "Blackie" model being the only exception)

But at the same time i really like beat up guitars, it adds a true personal feel. I just think it should be done naturally over time. Let the guitar relic YOU, not the other way around.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

PS: Do poly finishes not wear down at all?! If they do wear over time, what's it look like? (pictures would be great)

Will_Minus
12-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I'd assume poly wears down like nitro, but at a much, much slower pace.

zekk
12-21-2006, 11:22 PM
I'd assume poly wears down like nitro, but at a much, much slower pace.

Dude, Poly is plastic, for lack of a better term. Its a paint verision of the same stuff that makes most picks.

dr_love6977
12-21-2006, 11:31 PM
To make it look like it's seen years on the road, night after night of having the shit kicked out of it. Like SRV's no. 1, or Rory Ghalleger's guitar.

ECwomantoneman
12-22-2006, 09:26 AM
To make a guitar "relic-ed" just play it a every breathing moment for a couple of years. At the end of it you'll have a relic guitar and you'll be an amazin player. Simple.

Of course, another way to do it is play the guitar totally naked. The residue on your skin will wear that finish off for you. For belt scratches, just wear a bigass belt when playing naked. Cue the kinky jokes.

PS
If you like to be naked and wear a belt anyway when playing a guitar, then good. Just don't invite me to a gig.

ECwomantoneman
12-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Also.. I generally try to keep my guitar in good nick. Abusing it is just cruel! Love it like it was your child!

R_H_C_P
12-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Does that mean the 60's reissues come with nitro. Not the '62 but the 60's strats.
I meant the American Vintage RI's, I forgot about the Mexican ones (which don't use nitro by the way.)
And I think Japanese ones use poly too.

Rock Savior
12-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Could you refinish it with nitro??

is that by anyway possible...

thanks...