Umphrey's McGee

PDA

View Full Version : Umphrey's McGee

Talon6
12-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Went to their 12/01 show a few weeks ago, it was amazing. These guys can f***ing play. I then bought the show off LiveDownloads.com, it still holds up. If anyone doesn't know them, they have free podcasts of select shows here:

http://umphreysmcgee.com/music/podcasts.php?linkId=103

And their live shows are better than the studio albums in EVERY single way. They don't jam too much on the album.

Also, they're not your typical jam band. They're much more prog, have been heavily influenced by prog, are much heavier than most jam (though not enough to actually be considered metal), and are incredibly organized.

Overall, Umphrey's = :)

Resiliance
12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Mmmmyes, I must check them out some more.

TheUltimateSin
12-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I heard a little of their material. I was impressed with it, I can say that much.

splice
12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
dude...i ****ing love umphrey's

Godly Moose
12-21-2006, 01:59 AM
I'm watching a video of them on youtube from Vegoose right now as we speak. And me likey. :)

splice
12-23-2006, 01:19 AM
the other guitarist in my band went to one of their shows and said that it was brilliant

Resiliance
12-23-2006, 08:55 AM
So I bought Anchor Drops, the music is good, but ****, the voice irritates me. It's like an emo band.

Too bad, really.

metalicarules24
12-23-2006, 11:20 PM
I saw them live with Bela Fleck & the Flecktones back in august and they were freakin great. I tried to find some stuff on there albums but none of it was the same. You definately have to listen to the live stuff.

LedZeppelin
12-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Saw them live back in November, it was great.

Axegrinder#9
12-25-2006, 04:03 PM
uhh I had put up a topic on UM a while ago. I saw them live at Ithaca couple of months ago, the whole band rocks your face off. Jake Cinniger and Brendan Bayliss work incredibly well in unison, great guitar players. and I hate the repetitive comparisons of UM with Phish, 'cos they sound nothing like Phish.

Resi, I dunno what you're talking about, they certainly don't sound emo, though I'll give you this much, both the vox at best sound mediocre. however, I'd recommend you check out the album Local Band Does O.K. The vox have a much more mature sound, and the instrumental parts will definitely hook you in.

Resiliance
12-25-2006, 05:35 PM
uhh I had put up a topic on UM a while ago. I saw them live at Ithaca couple of months ago, the whole band rocks your face off. Jake Cinniger and Brendan Bayliss work incredibly well in unison, great guitar players. and I hate the repetitive comparisons of UM with Phish, 'cos they sound nothing like Phish.

Resi, I dunno what you're talking about, they certainly don't sound emo, though I'll give you this much, both the vox at best sound mediocre. however, I'd recommend you check out the album Local Band Does O.K. The vox have a much more mature sound, and the instrumental parts will definitely hook you in.

I didn't mean the band sounded emo, as I made clear by saying the music was good... I meant the vocals sounded like those of an emo band, in that they're very mediocre.

I will check out that album.

Talon6
12-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I will check out that album.

No, don't get the albums. They don't jam or prog out on the albums, and if they do it's a very rare moment. Get the professional recordings at LiveDownloads.com. I highly recommend 12/1/06.

Axegrinder#9
12-26-2006, 07:47 PM
you do realize that you cannot jam out endlessly on a studio album? bands play live for a reason.

and I don't know about you, but songs like "Nothing to Fancy", "Ringo", "Hurt Bird Path", "White Man's Moccasins" and "Blue Echo" have some real kick to them in terms of musicianship.

PooKoo
12-27-2006, 12:45 AM
axey, i actually checked em out a while ago cause of your thread, i was just too lazy to link to it when i saw this. Found some live stuff, absolutely loved it. Thanks man.

Resiliance
12-27-2006, 10:09 AM
No, don't get the albums. They don't jam or prog out on the albums, and if they do it's a very rare moment. Get the professional recordings at LiveDownloads.com. I highly recommend 12/1/06.

I've already listened to those. I'm not an idiot. :p: