Classic Rock Fingerstylists

PDA

View Full Version : Classic Rock Fingerstylists

PatchworkMan
12-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Fingerstyle guitar has dwindled almost to nothing in popular music since the classic era; post about your favorite classic fingerstyle players here.

Mine:
James Taylor
Paul Simon
Lindsey Buckingham

I suppose hybrid pickers count too, in which case I might add Roger McGuin to the list.

Dirk Gently
12-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Mark Knopfler, FTW.

alliwant
12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest! I love him so.

backtothe70s
12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest! I love him so.

Knopfler IS the best!

psychodelia
12-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Jeff Beck, baby.

rayIII
12-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Steve Howe

CanCan
12-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Knopfler, bitches.

Andrewbiles
12-18-2006, 01:55 PM
John Renbourn was the best in my opinion. Davey Graham coming a close second due to the influence he had over everyone in the 60s.

Dirk Gently
12-18-2006, 01:57 PM
^ Who are they?

rx_eb
12-18-2006, 02:11 PM
^ Who are they?

..fingerstyle acoustic guitarists

(folk guitarists. they're amazing)

flambe chicken
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Fingerstyle = cool.
If we are talking hybrid pickers, it has to be Albert Lee (and Eric Johnson I think). Not sure if they are classic rock though.
*ponders*

Andrewbiles
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
^ Who are they?

Davey Graham is probably most famous for 'Anji', which was then covered by Paul Simon, Bert Jansch and pretty much every folk artist ever. Anyway, he developed a sh*t load of techniques and styles having travelled around a lot collecting new influences.

John Renbourn was in Pentangle with Bert for a while but really showed his skills off playing solo stuff. Go on youtube and search for him, especially 'The Hermit', absolutely amazing player.

ledhed68
12-18-2006, 08:28 PM
o my god i can't believe Robbie Kreiger hasnt been mentioned yet, the most underrated guitarist imo, and played everything but five songs fingerstyle

jskinnirvana
12-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Robbie Kreiger of the doors band from venice featuring Jim Morrison lol.

paintITblack39
12-19-2006, 12:37 AM
I liked George Harrison's fingerstyle guitar works.

Brandon860
12-19-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Knopfler on this one as well, the man has one of the most unique picking style I've ever seen. No matter how hard I try I can't play with my hand like that

rocknroll blues
12-19-2006, 11:17 AM
John Renbourn was the best in my opinion. Davey Graham coming a close second due to the influence he had over everyone in the 60s.

If those are in the running then I'd put forth John Fahey and Dave Bromberg.

Blind In 1 Ear
12-20-2006, 06:37 PM
clapton can play some pretty good fingerstyle blues. but he doesnt do it all the time so i dont think he counts. but yea mark knopfler is great.

PatchworkMan
12-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't count Clapton since he didn't put down the flatpick until the 90's.

Jorma Kaukonen, anyone?

Sherman901
12-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Mark Knopfler is amazing.

The National D
12-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Duane Allman played fingerstyle (but mostly with a slide).

As did Ry Cooder.

Fingerstyle slide>everything.

VR05
12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't count Clapton since he didn't put down the flatpick until the 90's.

Jorma Kaukonen, anyone?

Haha damn, i was gonna post Jorma... his work in both Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna is amazing, damn great folk player, not just blues and/or rock as some people would think.

Derigiberble
12-22-2006, 04:26 PM

Fucking right. Nobody ever talks about those guys around here. It's sickening. I actually prefer Bert Jansch in terms of ability to both those guys (saw him live in the summer and he's just awesome) but I've had the honour of meeting Davey Graham (he was drunk of course) and he's generally an awesome guy. He's pretty much the original and most influential artist of the 60s whether people realise or not.

The best fingerpickers are the country guys though. Jerry Reed is the greatest fingerpicker on the planet by rather some distance.

Check out the video on youtube of him doing the song Jerry's Breakdown with Chet Atkins. It's just unbelievable.

Barstool
12-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Alex Lifeson of RUSH I seem to remember hearing a pretty decent fingerstyle on more
than couple of there tunes!

The National D
12-22-2006, 06:58 PM
The best fingerpickers are the country guys though. Jerry Reed is the greatest fingerpicker on the planet by rather some distance.

Speaking only in terms of fingerpickers, I'd have to say Tommy Emmanuel deserves that title. That said, not even Tommy's chops can hold their own against someone who can play like Django. Fingerpickers like Reed, Knopfler or even good old Chet get blown out of the water by good gypsy jazz and classical players.

Derigiberble
12-23-2006, 06:59 AM
Speaking only in terms of fingerpickers, I'd have to say Tommy Emmanuel deserves that title. That said, not even Tommy's chops can hold their own against someone who can play like Django. Fingerpickers like Reed, Knopfler or even good old Chet get blown out of the water by good gypsy jazz and classical players.

Well I'll agree to disagree over who's the better player between Reed and Emmanuel. But don't mention Knopfler in the same league. I like him but he's really not that good. As for Django, awesome player, but he's more renowned for his improvisation in Jazz than his fingerpicking. Jerry Reed could still outpick him any day.

Sloopy
12-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I always thought Rodger Hodgeson was a good fingerstylists. I don't know if he counts though.

ledhead73
12-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Somebody had to say it and I most certainly will. Jimmy Page is definitely at least worth a mention. Sure he's just a rip off of Jansch in terms of fingerstyle, but a good rip off and better arranger at that.

Derigiberble
12-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Somebody had to say it and I most certainly will. Jimmy Page is definitely at least worth a mention. Sure he's just a rip off of Jansch in terms of fingerstyle, but a good rip off and better arranger at that.

Yeah you're a fool if you truly believe that. Page was a crap fingerpicker. He left out the whole verse part to Black Water Side because he couldn't play it, he could only play the chorus and without singing at the same time. And he certainly isn't a better arranger. He's just a joke really.

ledhed68
12-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah you're a fool if you truly believe that. Page was a crap fingerpicker. He left out the whole verse part to Black Water Side because he couldn't play it, he could only play the chorus and without singing at the same time. And he certainly isn't a better arranger. He's just a joke really.

In case you forgot, Page barley sang, but i agree that he really wasnt that great, but i do enjoy his fingerstyle stuff and enjoying music, and being technically talented at music are two different things

ledhead73
12-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Wow. If there is one region in which Page left the rest of his contemporaries in the dust it was his orchestration and arrangement of guitars. You say otherwise, but you are obviously suffering from either stupidity or severe repressed homoerotic feelings toward the Hammer of the Gods. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe Achilles Last Stand isn't actually an incredible demonstration of arranging and guitar prowess and maybe Ten Years Gone could have been written by a prosthetic vagina, I don't know.

I am actually quite sick and tired of coming to these boards to defend a musician whose fame, fortune, and lasting legacy speak for themselves. I've got better things to do than refute what some egotistcal asshole said about a living legend. Enough, I'm done.

rocknroll blues
12-24-2006, 11:18 PM
I've got better things to do than refute what some egotistcal asshole said about a living legend. Enough, I'm done.

Isn't that what you just did? ;)

Yes, Jimmy ripped a lot of people off. He's certainly overrated. I still enjoy his playing, though, on occasion.

Derigiberble
12-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow. If there is one region in which Page left the rest of his contemporaries in the dust it was his orchestration and arrangement of guitars. You say otherwise, but you are obviously suffering from either stupidity or severe repressed homoerotic feelings toward the Hammer of the Gods. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe Achilles Last Stand isn't actually an incredible demonstration of arranging and guitar prowess and maybe Ten Years Gone could have been written by a prosthetic vagina, I don't know.

I am actually quite sick and tired of coming to these boards to defend a musician whose fame, fortune, and lasting legacy speak for themselves. I've got better things to do than refute what some egotistcal asshole said about a living legend. Enough, I'm done.

:haha

You're such a deluded tit.

frippogenics
12-25-2006, 03:13 PM
John Fahey's my dude