Pitchfork top 50 for 2006:

PDA

View Full Version : Pitchfork top 50 for 2006:

Goon
12-20-2006, 07:54 AM
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/40007/Staff_List_Top_50_Albums_of_2006/page_1

Hmm anyone seen this yet?

I'd agree with some of those but the order is a little whack. I won't say to much just yet because I don't want to spoil it.

Check it out. :)

Andrewbiles
12-20-2006, 09:03 AM
I skimmed through it last night on stereogum (http://www.stereogum.com/archives/004191.html) and it didn't seem overly bad this year. Usually they try to be controversial by boosting something absolutely terrible to the top or by putting something like that Justin Timberlake album at the top, but they actually dropped that this year and went slightly more serious. Although I'm not a fan of 'Silent shout' or 'Return to Cookie Mountain', a lot of people have said they love the albums, so it wasn't unexpected that they'd be in a lot of top 5s.
They could've done better, but they could've done worse.

balltounge
12-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Suprised to see Boris in such a creditable position.

Pink is a smashing album though, well worthy of posi kudos.

paintITblack39
12-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I tend to hate Pitchfork Media.

bobjewell87
12-20-2006, 10:21 AM
i don't get how they focus on 100% american indie bands like neutral milk hotel, arcade fire, decemberists et al then go and review really shit pop-rap

*Truly Ninja*
12-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Ghostface's "Fishscale" really should have been #1. Hands down album of the year, followed by Joanna Newsom.

c_james
12-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Flaming Lips' 'At War With The Mystics' should've made that list.

cortez0
12-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Where is the album of the arctic monkeys and the kooks.

robbie
12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
cortez0, I believe some flamage will be making its way to you shortly, hold on tight!

As for me, the good things about this list are Tapes 'n' Tapes made it on, and Joanna Newsom got to number 3 with 'Ys'. However (and this makes this list the worst list in the history of lists) 'He Poos Clouds' (Final Fantasy) is not on it at all. It should be number one of every list. Ever. Ah well...

Knife2aGunFight
12-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I agree with Andrew about the TV on The radio album , sound that really disappointing.
There are definately some good albums in there. I noticed Boris and Man Man.

starsnostars
12-20-2006, 06:49 PM
sadly, i knew the knife would take the cake this year

that is by far the worst list pitchfork has ever put together, and that's saying a lot.

dougiecrystals
12-20-2006, 06:57 PM
i don't get how they focus on 100% american indie bands like neutral milk hotel, arcade fire, decemberists et al then go and review really shit pop-rap

Because Pitchfork is like your basic hipster.

See, they want to sound like they know everything about music, so they'll criticize the really big indie bands that are really popular, they try and go for bands that no one's ever heard of and say they're amazing, and of course, so they don't seem like they're close-minded, they'll take the most popular bands in pop and rap and say their albums are great too.

Griswold
12-22-2006, 01:53 AM
I think the list is perfectly respectable. They were never going to please everybody - if you don't normally agree with pitchfork then don't read it or take it seriously.

So glad they didn't predictably put the Arctic Monkey's album first, like the Guardian did.

uhh_me?
12-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Ghostface's "Fishscale" really should have been #1. Hands down album of the year, followed by Joanna Newsom.
Mostly agreed, I'd only swap the order

Flaming Lips' 'At War With The Mystics' should've made that list.
I think pitchfork trashed that album

that is by far the worst list pitchfork has ever put together, and that's saying a lot.
Can I get a follow up to why? Especially considering some off their other lists are quite shit...

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
12-22-2006, 09:15 AM
I think Bonnie 'Prine' Billy - the Letting Go should have deffinitely made the list.

Satch_Boogie
12-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Pitchfork lost all credibility when they flopped Damien Rice.

WhereArtEsteban
12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Personally I think "Happy Hollow" should have been somewhere on there. I thought that was flippin' amazing.

starsnostars
12-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Can I get a follow up to why? Especially considering some off their other lists are quite shit...

this one was worse than normal for me because it was completely predictable, and not in any sort of good way. i could have told you their top 20 without even seeing the list. and besides maybe one or two albums in the top 20, they rest have no right to even be that close.

it would be nice if pitchfork no longer cared about trying to be snobs, which any more with the internet, is no achievement, and start actually showing a new perspective towards music. there is no professionalism with pitchfork, which could be used to their advantage, if they had credibility. and in short, this simple list proved to me once and for all that pitchfork is below modern day rolling stone.

and for that, maybe they should get a medal.

Caustic
12-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Pitchfork lost all credibility when they flopped Damien Rice.

I don't know. "O" was a bloody masterpiece. Coming after that, "9" felt sort of like the wet patch you wake up in after a one night stand - satisfying that it's there, but you can't help feeling it was better before. They may have been somewhat justified.

But mostly, yeah, Pitchfork lose.

AWA
12-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm disappointed that they didn't include Young Machetes.

sponj
12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm disappointed that they didn't include Young Machetes.

yeah, that album is amazing. What's Justin Timberlake doing in the list? Please Pitchfork, don't try to be "open minded"...

DorkusMalorkus
12-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Sexy Back is a pretty catchy song, I have to admit.

slinks
12-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Coming after that, "9" felt sort of like the wet patch you wake up in after a one night stand - satisfying that it's there, but you can't help feeling it was better before.

:haha

Knife2aGunFight
12-23-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure that analogy makes complete sense and he just wanted to say something about pulling out.

Caustic
12-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure that analogy makes complete sense and he just wanted to say something about pulling out.

If you'd listened to both albums, it'd make sense.

cortez0
12-25-2006, 06:19 PM
cortez0, I believe some flamage will be making its way to you shortly, hold on tight!

As for me, the good things about this list are Tapes 'n' Tapes made it on, and Joanna Newsom got to number 3 with 'Ys'. However (and this makes this list the worst list in the history of lists) 'He Poos Clouds' (Final Fantasy) is not on it at all. It should be number one of every list. Ever. Ah well...

Why? They're awesome!
Or is pitchfork a record label and not a magazine?

robbie
12-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Why? They're awesome!
Or is pitchfork a record label and not a magazine?

I only said that because people who read and agree with Pitchfork tend to be the sort of people who won't buy any album that more than 7 other people will buy.

starsnostars
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
people who agree with pitchfork buy into whatever new trend that hasn't already been exploited

people who wont buy any album that more than 7 other people will think pitchfork is shit

STRAT811
12-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Post War and Blood Mountain were way to high on the list. I would put them in the top 15 myself. Boys and Girls in America was the only one I really agreed with. What's with all the pop and rap? I also think the Bright Eyes b-sides comp should be on there.

Knife2aGunFight
12-27-2006, 04:00 PM
a list without mewithoutYou's Brother sister is in fact not a list at all but a sham.

2xG
12-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I have nothing against pitchfork. It's not like they're forcing you to agree with them. Granted, some of their attitudes are kinda annoying, but they do bring attention to many artists who deserve more recognition. And that deserves a minimum of respect. You guys should all get off your high horses.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of that list, but then, it's hard to please everyone.

starsnostars
12-27-2006, 11:38 PM
^wait wait, you're saying that the pitchfork writers are victims of elitism?

wow

2xG
12-27-2006, 11:45 PM
^wait wait, you're saying that the pitchfork writers are victims of elitism?

wow

Where did I say that?

starsnostars
12-27-2006, 11:51 PM
You guys should all get off your high horses.

and here, i got you a late christmas present (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/implied).

2xG
12-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I think you misunderstood me.

Whatever. Doesn't really matter.

starsnostars
12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
don't want to explain yourself then?

HavenSake
12-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Pitchfork is lame. Boris shouldn't have even been on there, Pink was released in 2005. Ministry's new album should've taken the top spot.

Andrewbiles
12-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Went mad making this (http://www.last.fm/user/andrewbiles/journal/2006/12/29/301178/).

starsnostars
12-29-2006, 04:25 PM
time well spent, thanks andrew

robbie
12-29-2006, 05:58 PM
Went mad making this (http://www.last.fm/user/andrewbiles/journal/2006/12/29/301178/).

Arrrggghhh!!! I see no Final Fantasy or Joanna Newsom. I cry. :(.

Andrewbiles
12-29-2006, 09:07 PM
^ I do have the Joanna Newsom album, just haven't listened to it properly to put it into any section. Quite a few I've still got to have a good listen to that I've got...

Acoustic Ladyland - Skinny Grin
Duke Special - Songs from the deep forest
In Flagranti - Wrong than anyone else
Islaja - Palaa Aurinkoon
Mark Kozelek - Little Drummer Boy (live)
Aimee Mann - One more drifter in the snow
Merzbow - Black Bone Part 5
Merzbow - Turmeric (box set)
Milieu - Our blue rainbow
Moros Eros - I saw the devil last night and now the sun shines bright
Mouthbreather - Demo
Ms. John Soda - Notes and the like
Joanna Newsom - Ys
OOIOO - Taiga
The Ruby Suns - The Ruby Suns
Alan Sparhawk - Solo Guitar
Story One - Disposable
Sun Ra - The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra
Butch Walker - Rise & Fall of Butch Walker

So many other ones I still want to hear as well. Not a huge fan of Final Fantasy though to be honest so I didn't bother to get the latest one. Probably quite a lot would be moved around as well if there was an extra six months in a year. Pretty sure the top 3 sections (I think it is) of the list will stay up that high, the latest Super XX Man one (Volume XI: A Better Place) will more than likely go up though, just the quality of the album is beautiful (if anyone buys it, listen with good headphones on a stereo, trust me).

robbie
12-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh, well I'm a total Final Fantasy addict, as you might well have guessed from reading pretty all of my posts in the AI forum.

Slurgi
01-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I tend to hate Pitchfork Media.

Haha, agreed.

:cheers:
Slurgi

Something_Vague
01-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm genuinly surprised Band Of Horses and Sunset Rubdown made it that high on the list, they're great albums, but beating out Camera Obscura? No way, that album was genius.

Justin Timberlake's album should have been higher, it's basically amazing. I'm surprised to not see Arctic Monkeys or Yeah Yeah Yeah's.

Well what do you expect, Bright Eyes didn't release anything this year so the number 1 went to a band I've never heard of.

[edit]I just got the new Joanna Newsom album, it's gorgeous and I'm pretty bummed she didn't get any spots for it.