Acoustic vs. Electric Acoustic

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic vs. Electric Acoustic

Jake333
12-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone! I'm looking into buying a new acoustic (my old one is an unidentfiable brand that my grandma bought me in a pawn shop for $10 about 10 years ago) I would like to take it on vacations camping things of that nature and was wondering is there a difference between only acoustic or electric acoustic? I wouldnt mind plugging it into an amp once and a while (however I have a nice electric already) but its not really necessary if there are cons to having the electric part. I know you will come through for me UG Thanks in advance! :D

WlCmToTheJungle
12-20-2006, 11:27 PM
well i prefer the electric acoustic but only if you play shows. if you have a regular acoustic you would have to have it next to the mic so you wouldnt have very much freedom move around.

Jake333
12-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Nope I don't really intend to do gigs with it, just playing campfire/for fun/friends etc. Are there pros/cons to either or are they both basically the same except one has the capability to be amplified?

olp07
12-20-2006, 11:30 PM
^Agreed. I usually like the sound of my acoustic mic'd, but it is really nice to have the option to plug it in. If I am recording vocals and guitar at the same time, it is a necessity, as my interface has one mic and one plug input. I also like that my a/e has a tuner built in.

EDIT: ^To the First guy. To threadstarter: some people say the pickup makes the guitar sound worse, as it dosent allow the sound to expand as much, however in all my experience I have yet to find this true. If you won't use the electric part, then its probably best to get a plain acoustic, but its all personal preference really.

color me misery
12-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I have an electric acoustic and im not really happy with it.

being able to hook it up to your wah is only fun for about 15 minutes, after that its pretty much useless because the sound quality sucks.

get a nice acoustic and mic it, thats the way to do it.

johnos
12-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Yeah^^^^^
Thats why you should be playing it thru an acoustic amp.
Theyre not made so you can hook it up to your wah. theyre made so u can gig with it, and if you are gigging you would probably have a decentish acoustic amp or an electric amp that could play it decently

Duv
12-22-2006, 03:02 PM
i think the thing with electro-acoustics is aswell as being a good guitar you have to be certain of a good microphone/pick-up inside which will bump up the price, perhaps unnecessarily if it's not that much of an issue.

to me theyre added hassle and unnecessary but its up to you.

oh and you can also buy a normal acoustic and then alter it to become an electro-acoustic if you so wish.

thayes93
12-22-2006, 03:06 PM
The sound may suffer but the cutaway makes up for it with being able to play higher up.

color me misery
12-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah^^^^^
Thats why you should be playing it thru an acoustic amp.
Theyre not made so you can hook it up to your wah. theyre made so u can gig with it, and if you are gigging you would probably have a decentish acoustic amp or an electric amp that could play it decently

i dont play it through the wah all the time obviously, but even with my old bands really nice pa speaker it just dosnt sound as good. External mic is the way to go trust me.

CorduroyEW
12-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Even if you want an electric acoustic you shouldn't go out looking for an electric acoustic. You should find the acoustic you want and then add an aftermarket pickup. A good acoustic with a great aftermarket pickup will cost you less that a crap electric acoustic.

So get yourself a good acoustic and then wait untill you need it to get a pickup installed.

johnos
12-22-2006, 07:36 PM
i dont play it through the wah all the time obviously, but even with my old bands really nice pa speaker it just dosnt sound as good. External mic is the way to go trust me.

fair enough. What sort of guitar where you playing through it tho? did it have a decent pickup. Cos I have heard some guitars with stock pickups that sound fantastic through a PA (when its a good PA that is)

color me misery
12-26-2006, 10:50 AM
fair enough. What sort of guitar where you playing through it tho? did it have a decent pickup. Cos I have heard some guitars with stock pickups that sound fantastic through a PA (when its a good PA that is)

Its this shitty ibanez aeg-10, the top 4 strings sound great through the pa but it dosnt pick up the unwound strings for some reason.

Courchesne
12-26-2006, 12:12 PM
If your just playing for small groups of people, it would be cheaper to get a better regular acoustic then just an ok acoustic/eletric guitar, so if you know your not goin to be playin in a gighall or something, just go with your basic acoustic

jimtaka
12-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Its this shitty ibanez aeg-10, the top 4 strings sound great through the pa but it dosnt pick up the unwound strings for some reason.

you aren't the first person that i've heard have this EXACT same problem with an ibanez acoustic-electric. i think there's gotta be some defect in their pickups. it obviously doesn't happen to every single one of their guitars, but this doesn't seem all that uncommon.

to threadstarter: i'd reccomend just getting an acoustic. a regular acoustic is perfect for the way you want to use the guitar. you're going to get a much nicer regular acoustic than acoustic-electric for the same price, and it doesn't seem like you'd really plug it in anyway. also, keep in mind that later down the road you can always add a really nice pickup to your acoustic if you want. if you think that you might want to plug in anytime soon, i'd reccomend just getting a cheap magnetic soundhole pickup for now. judging by your posts it sounds like you'd probably be playing it through an electric amp anyway. a magnetic soundhole pickup is a much better option for you at this point, imo.

color me misery
12-27-2006, 12:21 AM
you aren't the first person that i've heard have this EXACT same problem with an ibanez acoustic-electric. i think there's gotta be some defect in their pickups. it obviously doesn't happen to every single one of their guitars, but this doesn't seem all that uncommon.

to threadstarter: i'd reccomend just getting an acoustic. a regular acoustic is perfect for the way you want to use the guitar. you're going to get a much nicer regular acoustic than acoustic-electric for the same price, and it doesn't seem like you'd really plug it in anyway. also, keep in mind that later down the road you can always add a really nice pickup to your acoustic if you want. if you think that you might want to plug in anytime soon, i'd reccomend just getting a cheap magnetic soundhole pickup for now. judging by your posts it sounds like you'd probably be playing it through an electric amp anyway. a magnetic soundhole pickup is a much better option for you at this point, imo.

or just put a microphone up to it, its not like your going to be doing guitar flips with an acoustic anyway and it will sound way better. Most acoustic recordings are done with external microphones.

Orarei
12-29-2006, 08:10 PM
The way I feel about it is that an acoustic electric is a little pointless. If you're getting one it means you have access to an amp. So if you're going to play acoustic, play an acoustic, sound quality isusually better with a straight acoustic anyways, if you're going to play electric grab your electric and plug that in, but yeah, that's just how I feel. Goodluck on your decision.

no1flyhalf
12-31-2006, 04:11 AM
i wish i woulda read this earlier. i already have the acoustic/electric, and i was wondering why all the other regular acoustics sounded much better than mine. hmm... i guess maybe a regular wil bemy next purchase...

crystalh
12-31-2006, 06:45 AM
i just bought a Taylor 814CE 2006 fall limited edition electric acoustic. gorgeous. forked out 4000 canadian for it but it was definately worth it if you're serious about gigs and stuff, otherwise stick to a normal acoustic. i'd take your old guitar out to campfires, and if you do decide to buy a new acoustic, buy a nice one and then be careful where you take it!