The La's

PDA

View Full Version : The La's

radio_schizo
12-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Anyone here like The La's?
They were a pretty influential and underated band from Liverpool who sadly only released one full length album.
They are like a cross between The Stone Roses and 60's British R n B.

Everyone will have heard "There she goes" by them. But personally I'd say that's their worst track.

But anyway, if you haven't already check them out. Best songs= 'Son of a Gun', 'Doledrum', 'Liberty Ship' & 'Failure'.

paul889988
05-06-2007, 07:49 AM
People need to listen to there self titled album its amazing.

j0nmcc
05-06-2007, 12:47 PM
vintage.

vintage!

merkalos666
05-06-2007, 12:54 PM
i like their music

K-Lizzle
05-06-2007, 11:29 PM
My dad had that album, and I slyly swiped it from him about five years ago.

Brilliant criznap, yo.

I'm kinda partial to "Timeless Melody," "I.O.U.," and "Feeling," myself.

Andrewbiles
05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
'There she goes' is a great, classic track, but I do agree with you, it's not their best. The whole album was top notch.

courtneytaylor
05-09-2007, 11:07 PM
I love that album and that band like I love my two legs.

There she goes is incredible.....but, like the sound of your own voice, you get bored of it.

Doledrum is probably my favourite track.

K-Lizzle
05-10-2007, 12:08 AM
"Awwwww no, don't go down to doledrum..."

Good stuff.

Oh, by the way, courtneytaylor - I'm diggin' the username. Dandy Warhols pwn.

courtneytaylor
05-11-2007, 10:02 AM
"Awwwww no, don't go down to doledrum..."

Good stuff.

Oh, by the way, courtneytaylor - I'm diggin' the username. Dandy Warhols pwn.

Dandy Warhols what now? 'pwn'?

Was anyone here at Glastonbury when they reformed? Im looking at you Andrew!

Andrewbiles
05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Can't say I was. Haven't ever attended Glastonbury. I'm probably one of the few people in this country that doesn't think it's worthwhile getting frustrated trying to phone up and access the website for four hours and then losing out on tickets.
No doubt it would've been good though. I seem to remember a friend telling me one of the members was a teacher in Guernsey.

tezhall
05-11-2007, 10:26 AM
The La's? Or The Dandies :confused: lol

I saw the La's at V fest when they reformed, it was a very solid set as I recall.

Controversially, I was always a much bigger fan of Cast than I was The La's, obviously can't avoid There She Goes (it has to be on every jukebox produced in the UK by law), but I have to confess to only skim-listening to the rest of the album.

For those who may not know, the lead singer of The La's (who's name escapes me) wanted to go down the route of a more lo-fi underproduced sound, and the bass player of The La's (John Power) wanted a more modern, cohesive production. This (and the fact that he was a frustrated wannabe frontman stuck playing bass :p: ) led the band to split, and Cast was essentially just The La's without the singer/guitarist/songwriter.

Common sense tells me that they should be a cheap and ineffective imitation of the original, but there's something about their jangly scouse cheeriness that gets under my skin - Sandstorm, Alright, Fine Time, all great singles, but the whole of All Change is a phenomenal album in it's own right imo.

That said, I saw an interview where John Power said something along the lines of "I believe there's only one song, an infinitely huge arrangement of tones and chords, and we as songwriters are gifted to discover small pieces of it at a time..." and basically lost all respect for him at that point :haha