Solo Malkmus

PDA

View Full Version : Solo Malkmus

#1 synth
12-23-2006, 12:00 AM
I loved his work so much in Pavement and I just got wind that he will be playing here soon. So if you guys have listened to his solo stuff, is it any good? And if so, which Album would you get first (out of three I believe)?

Also, if anyone has seen him live, is it worth it? I mean, I'm definitely seeing him, if only for his legendary alt status, and I was just wondering if he puts on a good show.

I did not see a thread on him when I searched, if there is then please close this and direct me to the right spot. Thanks for listening :)

starsnostars
12-23-2006, 01:06 AM
don't think there's a thread on his solo stuff, but there's tons about him in the pavement thread. thank god you are seeing him live, you will not regret it.

malkmus live is an experience, he performs songs as he's feeling at the moment. he'll change chords, he'll change lyrics, it all just depends on what running through his head at the moment. i have a few videos on my youtube from when i saw him over the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdXpgml3VDw

and here's a video for dark wave, which if i can remember right, is about as close as he's got to becoming mainstream with his solo career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_GLUnlv75g

as a huge pavement/malkmus fan, i would say skip his first solo album, listen to it when you decide you like him. go for face the truth first, since it's probably what he'll play most of, then go onto pig lib.

and if you decide you hate his solo stuff, and that he's boring live, it's worth it to go just to see joanna bolme
http://www.bonnaroo.com/BonnarooGallery06/images/Sunday,%20June%2018th/Stephen%20Malkmus%20&%20The%20Jicks/jkemp_stephenmalkmus01_6-18-06_jkemp.jpg

also, i hear janet weiss is drumming for him now, so that'd be neat to see.

DorkusMalorkus
12-23-2006, 01:28 AM
I have Face the Truth. There are some pretty good tracks, butsome of it is pretty forgetable.

My favorite songs are Post Paint Boy and Baby C'mon. The video for Baby C'mon is great.

Godzilla1969
12-23-2006, 01:56 AM
^Exactly my thoughts.

starsnostars
12-23-2006, 02:15 AM
face the truth does get old fast, but i'd say it's a good start for people who haven't heard his solo stuff before

*Truly Ninja*
12-23-2006, 01:31 PM
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/082502/stephen-malkmus.gif
toothpaste for dinner (http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/)

Well, not really. "Pig Lib" and "Face The Truth" are both pretty great albums.

Dude, you're asking if you should see Stephen Malkmus ?!
That's like saying, "Should I bother seeing Jesus even though I'm not a christian?"
Except you are a christian, 'cause you like pavement!
Dammit go see him.
Do it.

DorkusMalorkus
12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Why choose Malkmus, of all people, to make a haircut joke?

DorkusMalorkus
12-23-2006, 02:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_obEe6kpY

Baby C'mon video.

paintITblack39
12-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I haven't gotten around to his solo stuff, but I'm willing to, sooner or later.

AWA
12-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Why choose Malkmus, of all people, to make a haircut joke?
Maybe because of that song "Cut Your Hair."

DorkusMalorkus
12-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Maybe because of that song "Cut Your Hair."
I guess...But I think there is anything wrong with his hair.

paintITblack39
12-24-2006, 08:40 PM
I guess...But I think there is anything wrong with his hair.
He does like to joke around. Even if it gets Billy Corgan to hate him.

#1 synth
12-25-2006, 08:45 PM
I got Pig Lib and his debut. Loved them. And am buying tickets as I type. Merry Christmas to me! :D

...Merry Christmas to the rest of you too :p:

sponj
12-25-2006, 09:08 PM
brilliant video, the baby c'mon one.. I love face the truth, gave it to my dad on his birthday last year or two years ago, can't remember.

Arbiter000
11-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Again, resurrected for 2011. Thoughts about Mirror Traffic? Anyone?

At the outset I liked:
Tigers,
No One Is(Or etc)
Senator

Then the other songs grew on me, especially Brain Gallop. This album is very solid.

neidnarb11890
11-06-2011, 01:58 AM
I love it, solid record in my opinion. The aforementioned plus "Stick Figures in Love" and "All Over Gently" are probably my favorite cuts. I haven't listened to too much of his solo stuff, I bought Mirror Traffic on a whim & I really dig it.

Arbiter000
11-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Man, you should really reconsider your position on not listening on his other works. I've listened to all, and in quick phrases here's what I think of them:

1st album - easily his most melodic solo album, Pink India is one of his best songs for me ever
Face The Truth/Pig Lib - didn't really grew on me, but It Kills, Baby Come On and some of the songs are great
Real Emotional Trash - his epic songs album, by epic I mean songs that go past the 5 minute mark
Mirror Traffic - really solid, not one song is bad

neidnarb11890
11-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I've spun Real Emotional Trash a few times since getting Mirror Traffic. I like it, but I prefer Mirror Traffic.

I almost grabbed Face the Truth & Pig Lib last time I was at Newbury Comics, but then I didn't 'cuz I found something else I wanted.

Arbiter000
11-06-2011, 02:22 AM
You found something you want more than the lead of Pavement? What could it be? Wow. Not a lot of bands could do that.

neidnarb11890
11-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Tremolo by My Bloody Valentine, and I'd take them over Malkmus all day, every day, sorry!

Plus those two records don't have the added allure of drum goddess Janet Weiss. :heart:

Arbiter000
11-06-2011, 02:33 AM
I never really got what My Bloody Valentine was all about, guess it has something to do with your consciousness of music once My Bloody Valentine was active? I like their song "Soon" though.

Edit: I take back that Face The Truth is not a good album, just checked out the track list again, some of the songs there are great.

It Kills
Freeze The Saints
Loud Cloud Crowd
Mama
Post-Paint Boy
Baby C'mon

^^

uhh_me?
11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Pig Lib>Real Emotional Trash>Face The Truth>SM

still haven't gotten around to hearing the new one, despite having gone to a show on the tour and walking away thinking that they killed it.

Arbiter000
11-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Really? The first album is the worst for you?