Tune with capo?

PDA

View Full Version : Tune with capo?

psytox
12-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Is it ok to tune when i have capo on my guitar?.. because when i put my capo on, it sounds out of tune.. help me pls... thx in advance, sorry for my poor english

Matic
12-24-2006, 08:45 AM
when i first got my capo, i was really confused as if tuning would work if u had it on. I tried it out. I dont notice any difference,but in ur case if its out of tune when u have it on, it probably is either too tight or too loose. Try to make it perfect! and Merry Christmas!

Stratmaster69
12-24-2006, 02:27 PM
i wouldnt suggest it, i mean how hard is it to simply just remove the capo for a second or two, if you find the guitar is in perfect tune before the capo and it goes out once you put it on, decide whether it is going flat or sharp, and when tuning without hte capo just go a little flat or sharp to compensate for it

jimtaka
12-24-2006, 03:23 PM
if your guitar is in tune without the capo but goes out of tune when you put the capo on... one of two things is happening.

1. you aren't putting the capo in the right position on your fretboard. placing the capo too far back from the desired fret actually does pull the guitar out of tune.

2. the intonation on your guitar is off. this is the more likely of the two options. take your guitar and have a technician do a set up on it. they will clean the guitar, change the strings, adjust your action, and fine-tune the intonation. it usually runs anywhere from 40-80 to have this done.

to directly answer your question, you shouldn't really tune your guitar with your capo on. you weren't really specific in your first post, so i'm not sure exactly what you're doing. you certainly don't want to put a capo on your guitar and then use an electronic tuner to tune the guitar to standard, unless you capo at 12. this defeats the purpose of the capo entirely.

olp07
12-24-2006, 03:49 PM
you certainly don't want to put a capo on your guitar and then use an electronic tuner to tune the guitar to standard, unless you capo at 12. this defeats the purpose of the capo entirely.

This isn't necessarily true. I tune my guitars to standard w/ a capo on the first fret, because my tuner dosent register half steps, and I play in half a step down. But yeah, hopefully it's just you have the capo on wrong and don't need to get your axe set up.

psytox
12-24-2006, 06:10 PM
i put my capo on the 6th fret and it sounds a little sharp... my guitar's intonation is off but im not gnna do a setup on it bcause its a very cheap guitar, the price of the setup will likely be more than the guitar itself.. i tried what stratmaster said, it works.. i tune my guitar so that all the 6th fret are in Bb standard not E..

thx anyway :)

AdamDK
12-24-2006, 06:29 PM
i put my capo on the 6th fret and it sounds a little sharp... my guitar's intonation is off but im not gnna do a setup on it bcause its a very cheap guitar, the price of the setup will likely be more than the guitar itself.. i tried what stratmaster said, it works.. i tune my guitar so that all the 6th fret are in Bb standard not E..

thx anyway :)

Wouldn't it sound sharp anyway, becaudse the E strings would be in A#, and so on, so naturally, the open strings would be sharp.

Blind In 1 Ear
12-25-2006, 01:54 AM
ive tuned with the capo on and ive seen no problems.

jimtaka
12-25-2006, 02:56 PM
This isn't necessarily true. I tune my guitars to standard w/ a capo on the first fret, because my tuner dosent register half steps, and I play in half a step down.

you knew what i meant.

Calum_Barrow
12-25-2006, 05:20 PM
I think he means that the tuner throws his guitar out of tune, and that he tunes the guitar not to standard, but to the tuning that the capo would give; if you get what I mean. I do this as my capo can throw my low E off a little when I apply a capo to the higher frets (usually like 6 or above it becomes noticable, moreso on my 12 string with the higher action). I quickly tune it against the A string once I've put the capo on, and I can't really see it doing any damage at all.