[GP5] Painkiller - which version is better?

PDA

View Full Version : [GP5] Painkiller - which version is better?

Fallenblood
12-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Title :: Painkiller
Artist :: Childish Fears
Genre :: Power Metal
Lyrics by :: DarkLady
Music by :: Childish Fears

I've been debating with a friend of mine over which version of the attached song is better - mine (tagged "_mzr") or hers (tagged "_dark"). We've decided to ask for your opinion, along with some constructive criticism.

P.M.
12-24-2006, 03:29 PM
wtf, not only you took a whole stratovarius riff and put it into the song, the song is heavily out of tune

Fallenblood
12-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Out of tune? What do you mean? And I've never heard anything by Stratovarius, could you point out which part is "stolen"?

Pure_Morning
12-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Out of tune? What do you mean? And I've never heard anything by Stratovarius, could you point out which part is "stolen"?

I haven't heard Stratovarius either, so I can't say what you've stolen.

But what I must say, is get rid of the awful piano. It pretty much clashes with all the other instruments. The pieces sound a lot better without it.

But at this moment, I'm going to say yours is a better piece (because its actually complete).

psychotim
12-25-2006, 04:50 PM
hehe. yeah that was straight from stratovaruises cover of black diamond from kiss.
And it was seriously out of tune.
Ill say go read a bunch of music theory both of you!
Guitar 3 and 4 at mesuare 17 is two different riffs from black diamond.

Fallenblood
12-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I still don't get what do you mean by "out of tune". And, it appears I just might kill our other guitarist ;)

ouchies
12-27-2006, 11:58 PM
well yours had that stupid ridiculous detuning and both of them had that sucky piano so i would say hers was better.

both made me cut myself though :[, so sad. i didnt listen to the whole things though so i could be wrong...

f12button
12-28-2006, 12:20 AM
They sound completely off...i'm sorry, but it sounds like a bunch of different parts of different songs put together randomly. The guitars don't really match each other, and nothing matches the Piano.

And i'm a stickler for drum parts that match a song...this doesn't cut it...it just sounds like double-bass flying everywhere. Why not trying to match it with a rhythym? That might be kind of hard, though, because it seems like the piano and two guitars are on completely different rhythms.

I'd just say it needs a reworking.

Oh, one more thing: Piano can sound GORGEOUS with metal, just not the fast-riff crazy ass stuff. I know it's a guitar tab, but it's not played like a guitar. Why not slow down the piano, put a couple nice sustaining chords followed by single notes or something? If you want fast riffage, piano's not really gonna cut it.

Fama
12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I have to agree with f12button here. The piano doesn't match anything. And I don't like the drums either, although there were some good parts. I didn't like some of the guitar parts either (guitar 2 in verse 1, for example). Some riffs were pretty good tho.

I think your version is better because of that awful tremolo in her verse 1, and bass. Didn't like the bass at all.

Fallenblood
12-31-2006, 03:48 AM
The drums aren't by me, either, I haven't even touched them, the only thing I've written entirely is the piano (which explains why it doesn't fit =P ). When I have time, I'll rework it.

Inspired_by_Vai
01-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Ok, I muted the Piano and Voice in both, because they didnt sound right at all. The tremolo in hers was horrific, i suggest you take that out. It all seemed a bit dischordant

Apart from that, with the just two guitars, drums and bass, it wasnt at all bad, just needed touching up in places.

Id rework the piano if you really want it in the song, and look more at the vocal melody

But not bad, not bad

Crit 4 crit? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492838

:cheers:

Fallenblood
01-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I might actually end up rewriting the guitars from scratch (; Because I quite like the piano, and the riffs (which I have only edited) seem to have been stolen. It means the song is going to become completely different, though.

I don't drink, though (;

Could you please check my latest song, Keeper of Dreams (link in the sig). I still haven't heard any criticism on it.

ian_mcpike1990
01-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Isn't Painkiller a song by Judas Priest? :confused: