King Crimson

PDA

View Full Version : King Crimson

HavenSake
12-25-2006, 12:48 AM
...Is genius. I want to have Robert Fripp's babies.

Dallen_007
12-25-2006, 12:54 AM
thats great...good for you. But seriously great band.

orion89
12-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Epitaph is sooooooo goooooood. Or, In The Court of the Crimson King

psychodelia
12-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Red is awesome. I'll post more later when I'm not tired from Christmas stuff.

TheHeartbreaker
12-25-2006, 01:36 PM
King Crimson is awesome.

One of the most different, yet talented bands ever. Their music is simply amazing, but I feel that one must have a selective taste to enjoy them correctly.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Now your talking, the ultimate prog group hands down.

Red, In the Wake of Posideon, Islands, Discipline and In the Court of the Crimson King are highly recommended listening.

Robert Fripp is King, Long live the King.

XAkitAX
12-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Wow... Wake Of Poseidon owns me, and In the Court Of CK.
Rock on KC lovers!

R0CKER1220
12-25-2006, 05:20 PM
20th Century Schizoid Man! :headbang:

get-born
12-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Robert Fripp is amazing.

TheHeartbreaker
12-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Now your talking, the ultimate prog group hands down.

I find it so hard to compare Progressive Rock bands to one another.

Technically, they are considered to be in the same genre, but each band is so different and diverse from every other band.

get-born
12-25-2006, 10:01 PM
For instance, Yes and Jethro Tull...

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 10:02 PM
I find it so hard to compare Progressive Rock bands to one another.

Technically, they are considered to be in the same genre, but each band is so different and diverse from every other band.
You're right, they all are different but to me Crimson was the darkest and did what they did very well. Personally I'm a more of a Yes and Genesis fan, yet my avatar is Bob Fripp at the mellotron with his Les Paul.

Vantastic!
12-25-2006, 10:07 PM
king crimson is fantastic

psychodelia
12-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Well, King Crimson has (imo) kept their creative edge for the longest out of the main prog groups. Though it wasn't their best, The Power to Believe came out in something like 2003 and still has good tunes. (The one that goes "We're gonna need to have a chorus" is such fun listening)

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Hm... I can probably agree with that.

Yes was fairly weak in the 80s, and Emerson, Lake, & Palmer sort of declined a bit after Trilogy. Genesis, at least in the opinions of most, basically fell apart after Gabriel left.

Apart from King Crimson, I feel that it was Jethro Tull who probably survived the best through time.

Pink Floyd... Surived into the 80s, but I feel that their later albums were a mix of good and poor (in comparison to their previous albums, of course).

streetcarp19
12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah, anytime somebody asks me who my favorite band is and I do have the courage to answer it, usually I'll say King Crimson.

Their catalog is just so diverse and intriguing, it probably has something for just about anybody who likes something a little different.

I recently go the Great Deciever Box Set of theirs, which is a four disc set of strictly live performances between 73-74. Best $40 dollars I have ever spent on music, and the improvs that are on their are to die for.

Nighthawk551
12-26-2006, 11:56 PM
I like Prog Rock, but I never really got into King Crimson's style much. I do like Larks Tongues in Aspic though.

TheHeartbreaker
12-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, anytime somebody asks me who my favorite band is and I do have the courage to answer it, usually I'll say King Crimson.

Their catalog is just so diverse and intriguing, it probably has something for just about anybody who likes something a little different.

I recently go the Great Deciever Box Set of theirs, which is a four disc set of strictly live performances between 73-74. Best $40 dollars I have ever spent on music, and the improvs that are on their are to die for.

You just made me start to drool, man. Where did you find that?

streetcarp19
12-27-2006, 11:01 AM
I got it at a local cd store, and it was slightly used...they insisted that they all played fine and even let me look at the cd's to make sure. i got lucky.

But they do still sell it for like $60 dollars on dgmlive.com, the 'shop' part of crimso's official site. Honestly, not a bad deal, and even the booklet is like 100 pages of really interesting journal entries from Robert Fripp throughout the years.

LKW
12-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Well, King Crimson has (imo) kept their creative edge for the longest out of the main prog groups. Though it wasn't their best, The Power to Believe came out in something like 2003 and still has good tunes. (The one that goes "We're gonna need to have a chorus" is such fun listening)
Yeah, they've always kept their sound fresh. I've only heard The Power To Believe once or twice but i like their album Thrak. It's from 1998 i think, and has some real gems on it (Inner Garden I and II are breathtaking).

My favorite albums are In The Wake Of Poseidon, Red, Starless & Bible Black, In The Court and Discipline. The riffs on Red are some of the meanest in the history of riffage.

streetcarp19
12-27-2006, 01:44 PM
I know this isn't a classic rock comment, but I was curious if anyboby had heard of the band Anglagard? They released some stuff in the early '90's and is very reminesent of early '70's king crimson, though maybe just a little harder. They only put out two albums, but my god, do they have talent. I recommend the album Hybris the most.

STRAT811
12-27-2006, 02:39 PM
My personal favorite prog band. Court of the Crimson King is ungodly good. Same with Red.

TheHeartbreaker
12-27-2006, 02:47 PM
I know this isn't a classic rock comment, but I was curious if anyboby had heard of the band Anglagard? They released some stuff in the early '90's and is very reminesent of early '70's king crimson, though maybe just a little harder. They only put out two albums, but my god, do they have talent. I recommend the album Hybris the most.

Cool. I'll try and check them out some time.

pavan
12-27-2006, 02:52 PM
King Crimson has driven me crazy the past few months. Bootlegs of their live shows are also brilliant.

A very very good band. Amazing stuff. Hybris and Epilog.

STRAT811
12-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Has anyone listened to any of the Fripp/Eno stuff? No Pussyfooting is great.

lexhibit
12-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Has anyone listened to any of the Fripp/Eno stuff? No Pussyfooting is great.
Yes, I have it, the second album Evening Star is great too.