Bands/Songs of the 60's that influenced the ever influential 60's group "The Beatles"

PDA

View Full Version : Bands/Songs of the 60's that influenced the ever influential 60's group "The Beatles"

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 12:48 PM
OK Here's a different twist on a Beatles thread. We all know the Beatles we're influential to other groups of the 60's , BUT this post is to show another side of the Beatles. Just for fun, let's see some examples of how the Beatles were influenced by other groups of the 60's.

Here are my random Beatle song and Album examples of being influenced by other groups of the 60's
If I needed someone - The Byrds

Run for your Life & Come Together John's Lyric's "borrowed" from Chuck Berry songs

Good Morning Good Morning - John's version of 60's Special K Breakfast Commercial

Helter Skelter - An atttempt by McCartney to sound like the Who - "quote from McCartney interview Musician magazine 1980"

Sgt. Pepper - Influenced by the Beach Boys Pet Sounds according to Paul.

You've got to hide you're love away - John doing Dylan

Sun King - John's intro guitar doing Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac's "Albatross"

frippogenics
12-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Norwegian Wood - John doing Dylan again

Derigiberble
12-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Every song - George Gershwin.

telex289
12-25-2006, 03:40 PM
i like this

paintITblack39
12-25-2006, 05:20 PM
McCartney said he wanted to record Helter Skelter because he wanted to make a song more rock n' roll then the Who after he read an interview with Keith Moon saying that they recorded the most rock n' roll song ever.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 05:26 PM
McCartney said he wanted to record Helter Skelter because he wanted to make a song more rock n' roll then the Who after he read an interview with Keith Moon saying that they recorded the most rock n' roll song ever.
Thanks for that info. I'm still trying to find out what that Who song was they were referring to. I'm glad people are agreeing that the Beatles didn't invent EVERYTHING in the sixties.
They were very innovative and paved the way BUT had lots of help and ideas from other great bands.

Shoestick
12-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Well probably the biggest influence on the Beatles was the music of Ravi Shankar.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Well probably the biggest influence on the Beatles was the music of Ravi Shankar.
Good one, thanks

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Here's another one...Back in the USSR was written by Paul in India when Mike Love of the Beach Boys suggested they do a Beatles song that's similar to Surfin USA.

crash 2.0
12-25-2006, 06:32 PM
The Beatles were just influenced by the old rock N' roll trend. Nothin much else to it.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 07:05 PM
The Beatles were just influenced by the old rock N' roll trend. Nothin much else to it.
Very true, you're correct. They were 50's Rock & Roller's at heart.
I'm looking for examples on what influenced their so-called "ground breaking" songs. I love and admire the Beatles for what they did, but I don't agree that they invented every Musical trend in the sixties like a lot of die-hard Beatle fans believe. Bands copied them, but they copied other bands just as much. Why are the Beatles always tagged with the label "They we're the first to do everything in the sixties" It's not entirely true, even they admit it.

VoodooChild15
12-25-2006, 07:48 PM
The Who song in question was I Can See For Miles.

crash 2.0
12-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Ive never heard that label before. All I ever hear is things relevent to "The Fab Four". But yeah, I see your point. They did copy others. Mostly that swing type of music. Like the early 50s shit. Mainly Buddy Holly, Elvis, & Chuck. John Lennon came up with the name "The Beatles" as a tribute to "Buddy Holly & The Crickets". Hoped that helped.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Ive never heard that label before. All I ever hear is things relevent to "The Fab Four". But yeah, I see your point. They did copy others. Mostly that swing type of music. Like the early 50s shit. Mainly Buddy Holly, Elvis, & Chuck. John Lennon came up with the name "The Beatles" as a tribute to "Buddy Holly & The Crickets". Hoped that helped.
Perfect. Thanks for your help dude.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 07:58 PM
The Who song in question was I Can See For Miles.
Yup, I think thats it, thanks. It may have been the song "Disguises" too. Very Raucous guitar and drums a la Helter Skelter in both of those Who tracks.

crash 2.0
12-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Perfect. Thanks for your help dude.
Np. Keep truckin'

paintITblack39
12-25-2006, 11:12 PM
McCartney also claimed that Sgt. Peppers was their "Freak Out" which is Frank Zappa's debut album, and it was considered by many to be the first concept album.

TeleE71
12-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Paul McCartney has claimed in interviews that "Good Day Sunshine" was written with "The Lovin Spoonful" in mind, and "Got To Get You Into My Life" was his attempt at the Motown sound. Some have also said that the whole "Magical Mystery Tour" movie was based on Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters "Furthur" bus trip to search for Tim Leory thing. However, I tend to believe it was based more upon the bus trips from Liverpool to see the Blackpool lights as George describes in the Anthology movie. Paul has also said that much of the Beatles music from 65 and 66 was greatly influenced by the Beach Boys. I think this is evendent much more on McCartney's numbers during that time that the rest of the Beatles.

TeleE71
12-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Thought of another one! In 68 when Lennon wrote "Dear Prudence" and "Julia", both songs were based around a guitar lick identified by claw hammer fingerstyle picking, which was taught to John Lennon in Rishikesh by Donovan, so I guess that could be considered an influence. Aparently, Donovan tried to teach Paul also, but Paul was impatient and came away only with a modified fingerstyle that you can hear on "Blackbird" and also on "Jenny Wren" from his latest solo release.

lexhibit
12-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Paul McCartney has claimed in interviews that "Good Day Sunshine" was written with "The Lovin Spoonful" in mind, and "Got To Get You Into My Life" was his attempt at the Motown sound. Some have also said that the whole "Magical Mystery Tour" movie was based on Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters "Furthur" bus trip to search for Tim Leory thing. However, I tend to believe it was based more upon the bus trips from Liverpool to see the Blackpool lights as George describes in the Anthology movie. Paul has also said that much of the Beatles music from 65 and 66 was greatly influenced by the Beach Boys. I think this is evendent much more on McCartney's numbers during that time that the rest of the Beatles.
Thanks, great examples...and although the Beatles were most of our favorite groups of the sixties, including mine, my reason for this thread is I just think they didn't invent everything about music in the sixties. I hate it when the Beatle Shmoozers say that they were the first to come up with EVERY concept of modern music in the late 20th century.

Sherman901
12-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Very true, you're correct. They were 50's Rock & Roller's at heart.
I'm looking for examples on what influenced their so-called "ground breaking" songs. I love and admire the Beatles for what they did, but I don't agree that they invented every Musical trend in the sixties like a lot of die-hard Beatle fans believe. Bands copied them, but they copied other bands just as much. Why are the Beatles always tagged with the label "They we're the first to do everything in the sixties" It's not entirely true, even they admit it.

They were the first to make it mainstream, that's the difference.

TeleE71
12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks, great examples...and although the Beatles were most of our favorite groups of the sixties, including mine, my reason for this thread is I just think they didn't invent everything about music in the sixties. I hate it when the Beatle Shmoozers say that they were the first to come up with EVERY concept of modern music in the late 20th century.

Well, I appreciate you making a posting of this nature, because you are correct. Many Beatles fans push the issue that the Beatles were the sole manifestation of everything good in the 60's and everyone followed their lead. It's true to some degree, but if you really listen to the Beatles in interviews and specials throughout their career and afterwards, you'll find that they were just as heavily influenced by other groups and musicians as everyone was influenced by them. Thats what was great about the 60's! As Paul said in an interview once "It was a great ideas time. Whoever had the best idea, you'd go with it." But the Beatles certainly had a way of turning a small idea into mainstream culture, gotto give them that!

jim morrison714
12-31-2006, 07:14 PM
hindustani music and ravi shankar got george to start sitar

ferchersan
01-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Norwegian Wood - John doing Dylan again
Yeah, i was gonna say that. listen to Dylan's 4th Time Around on Blonde On Blonde, then listen to Norwegian Wood. Even the lyrical content is VERY similar

Sloopy
01-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Within You, Without You - Ravi Shankar

paintITblack39
01-13-2007, 01:24 PM
hindustani music and ravi shankar got george to start sitar
The most important of all of course.

I was gonna mention it ... but you did it. :cheers:

BassistGal
01-13-2007, 01:25 PM
*Cough* The Shadows *Cough*