Stupid Van Halen Question

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Van Halen Question

Freunleven
12-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Okay, so this is something that I'm debating with a drummer about: Is "Eruption" essentially just an intro solo to "You Really Got Me," or not? I'm comparing it to "Bassically" leading into "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath - they were separated on the track listing, but it's supposed to be a whole piece.

As the thread title says, it's a stupid question. But which way do ya'll view it?

:satan:

Jimmy_Pwns_Jimi
12-25-2006, 03:52 PM
the way i see it, theyre meant to be seperate. i think the only reason Eruption was played with You Really Got Me was to get Eruption heard on the radio. but i really dont know

Johny Bravo
12-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Actually Eruption was a warmup exercise EVH came up with, but it got famous and stuff. I dunno abt it being a part of a song or something.

blues_guitarist
12-25-2006, 10:34 PM
It's separate. And yes, it was a warm up piece that Ted Templeman had heard Ed playing. Ted crapped his pants and had Ed record it.

eviledge87
12-30-2006, 04:10 PM
eruption is a warm up exercise? well that explains a lot...

kshelt76
12-30-2006, 07:48 PM
eruption is a warm up exercise? well that explains a lot...

If you mean that it explains why it sounds like a wankfest piece of garbage, then, yep, I guess that would be right. Warm-up exercise or not, the solo really has nothing to do with "You Really Got Me Now". I imagine, as Templemen and the rest of Warner Bros. were lining up the album, deciding where songs should go and what not, they felt that Eruption ran into Got Me the best, and so they paired them up. The rest, is history.

Edit: I know this is off-topic, but I don't want to make a new thread to ask this question since it pertains to VH. Has anyone heard any new news about the reunion and summer tour. Outside of the DLR rumors, and the band signing and then beginning to practice with Wolf for a potential tour, I haven't heard any solid news in about two months. I was wondering if anyone else out there had heard anything new about it. Thanks.

kissfan_896
12-30-2006, 08:28 PM
warm or not eddy is a great guitarist. :devil:

TheUltimateSin
12-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Edit: I know this is off-topic, but I don't want to make a new thread to ask this question since it pertains to VH. Has anyone heard any new news about the reunion and summer tour. Outside of the DLR rumors, and the band signing and then beginning to practice with Wolf for a potential tour, I haven't heard any solid news in about two months. I was wondering if anyone else out there had heard anything new about it. Thanks.

I've heard rumors of Van Halen doing a tour with DLR. I am doubtful, given Eddie and Dave's "situation", as I'll call it. But, I'd still love to see it happen.

2112swartz
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
ya i heard that dlr was gunna be with the band, but then i heard that he wasnt

kshelt76
12-31-2006, 04:06 AM
I've heard rumors of Van Halen doing a tour with DLR. I am doubtful, given Eddie and Dave's "situation", as I'll call it. But, I'd still love to see it happen.

See, I heard the rumors as well, but they were months ago, and nothing new has surfaced regarding it. I hope it happens, and I could see it happening, but only going a few shows before it all meltsdown. Hopefully, they make it here to Ohio before they just blow up and refuse to do it ever again.

TheUltimateSin
12-31-2006, 03:35 PM
See, I heard the rumors as well, but they were months ago, and nothing new has surfaced regarding it. I hope it happens, and I could see it happening, but only going a few shows before it all meltsdown. Hopefully, they make it here to Ohio before they just blow up and refuse to do it ever again.

My thoughts exactly. I hope they stay together long enough to make it anywhere near where I can see them. If I have to drive all the way to Chicago to see them like I did to see Maiden, so be it.

voxdude26
12-31-2006, 05:23 PM
unchained was originally a warm up too but ted heard it and made them make a song out of it. i think that eruption was just played with you really got me just so it would be heard the radio.

Evil_Magician
12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
I heard that Wolfgang isnt going to play in the reunion tour , dont know if Michael will play bass.

Americanhoser
01-01-2007, 11:02 AM
What? Wolfgang isn't playing bass now? Isn't Michael in the Hagar (the horrible) band Cabo Wabos?

Evil_Magician
01-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Has the tour already started ?

I heard that they that Wolfgang isnt ready yet to play in the reunion tour , but im not sure its just something i heard.

ukdudeinuk
01-01-2007, 09:38 PM
In the February edition of guitar world they said that Eddie has offered DLR the vocalist spot on a reunion tour, but he hasn't yet accepted or declined.

kshelt76
01-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Here's the news as I know it. Michael Anthony isn't in Hagars band, but he once in a while does guest spots and shows with him just for kicks. Wolfie has beens signed into the Van Halen band, but whether he'll be ready or not for the summer tour, no one knows or has really said much about it yet. DLR has been spreading rumors about doing a reunion tour, but the band is also keeping fairly quiet about that, and at the moment, a full reunion of the band is nothing more than a vague, empty rumor.

Americanhoser
01-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Ah damnitt, oh well ticket prices would have been ungodly anyway....

kshelt76
01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Ah damnitt, oh well ticket prices would have been ungodly anyway....

True, but watching my favorite band(even without Anthony) playing a live show with their best singer(DLR) would be worth a lot of money to me.

true_bacon22
01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
well it was just an intro song nothing else

Freepower
01-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Basically, eddie was playing aboot and the producer came in and said "wtf m8s, ltz rcrd th15 1337 sh33iet!!!1!". Then they added some drums and put it on the album.