The Buffalo Springfield

PDA

View Full Version : The Buffalo Springfield

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Any Buffalo Springfield fans out there? They only lasted 2 1/2 years, made 3 records, and were one of the most underrated groups ever. Stills and Young claim they were the best live band in their day.
Group featured now legendary guitar gods Neil Young and Steve Stills.
"For what it's worth (Stop, Hey what's that sound)" was their only popular hit.

highwire9179
12-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Any Buffalo Springfield fans out there? They only lasted 2 1/2 years, made 3 records, and were one of the most underrated groups ever. Stills and Young claim they were the best live band in their day.
Group featured now legendary guitar gods Neil Young and Steve Stills.
"For what it's worth (Stop, Hey what's that sound)" was their only popular hit.

, and a great song.

TheHeartbreaker
12-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Buffalo Springfield are decent.

I own their three albums and listen to them occasionally, but they don't rank very high among my favorite bands.

They had great songwriting, but musically seemed lacking. As a band, they seemed to be more about making statements rather than music.

lexhibit
12-25-2006, 09:58 PM

I own their three albums and listen to them occasionally, but they don't rank very high among my favorite bands.

They had great songwriting, but musically seemed lacking. As a band, they seemed to be more about making statements rather than music.
OK cool.
Apparently they never got their "live" sound on record.

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Actually, I believe that one of their albums did have a live version of "Broken Arrow", if I'm not mistaken.

lexhibit
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Actually, I believe that one of their albums did have a live version of "Broken Arrow", if I'm not mistaken.

Your right, for 15 seconds the live song you're hearing at the beginning of Broken Arrow from a gig with drummer Dewey Martin singing Neil's Mr. Soul after Neil quit, then it seagues in the rest of the song Broken Arrow.

I found a few live bootlegs of the Buffalo Springfield, including Monterey and their final concert at Long Beach CA, but I haven't heard any "magic" gigs of legend yet. Perhaps Neil will release some on his Archive series he just started.

Pineapple17
12-26-2006, 12:03 PM
i really think bf rocks. Mr soul was the first song i heard, and i still enjoy it alot.
I have all their albums (not very hard)

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Your right, for 15 seconds the live song you're hearing at the beginning of Broken Arrow from a gig with drummer Dewey Martin singing Neil's Mr. Soul after Neil quit, then it seagues in the rest of the song Broken Arrow.

I found a few live bootlegs of the Buffalo Springfield, including Monterey and their final concert at Long Beach CA, but I haven't heard any "magic" gigs of legend yet. Perhaps Neil will release some on his Archive series he just started.

Hopefully. It's been a while since I've listened to Buffalo Springfield, actually. I'm trying to imagine them as a live act... Do you know if they were more of a band that was good at replicating their studio albums, or were they also sort of a jam-band (which I'd find hard, in some senses, to imagine)?

lexhibit
12-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Hopefully. It's been a while since I've listened to Buffalo Springfield, actually. I'm trying to imagine them as a live act... Do you know if they were more of a band that was good at replicating their studio albums, or were they also sort of a jam-band (which I'd find hard, in some senses, to imagine)?
The live shows I have are 1/2 short songs and 1/2 long songs "jam band", so they did a little of both. I have a version of Bluebird live that is 25 minutes! Good jam between
Stills and Young, before they were mega-famous.

psychodelia
12-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Is there any way to get the full version of that live "Mr. Soul"? I really enjoy those few seconds I've heard.

lexhibit
12-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Is there any way to get the full version of that live "Mr. Soul"? I really enjoy those few seconds I've heard.
Bad news dude.
I just looked this up in the Buffalo Springfield book "for what it's worth" published in 1997.
The "live" recording of Mr. Soul was a studio trick with Dewey singing Mr. Soul with the band in the studio with an overdubbed tape of screaming fans edited from a tape of The Beatles concert at Candlestick Park 1966. The Buffalo Springfield book is highly recommended for all classic rock fans and fans of Neil and Stills.

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 08:14 PM
The live shows I have are 1/2 short songs and 1/2 long songs "jam band", so they did a little of both. I have a version of Bluebird live that is 25 minutes! Good jam between
Stills and Young, before they were mega-famous.

Awesome. :)

TeleE71
01-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I was just wondering how Buffalo Springfields music compares to Stills and Youngs work with CSNY. To be honest, I have only heard For What It's Worth from BS, but I really love that tune, and I dig on CSNY too. Was wondering if perhaps i should pick up some of Buffalo Springfields stuff? Any suggestions?

Cptbeefheart
01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Self titled and Buffalo Springfield again are the must haves. If you like CSNY, you will probably like Springfield as well.

lexhibit
01-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I was just wondering how Buffalo Springfields music compares to Stills and Youngs work with CSNY. To be honest, I have only heard For What It's Worth from BS, but I really love that tune, and I dig on CSNY too. Was wondering if perhaps i should pick up some of Buffalo Springfields stuff? Any suggestions?
Well these 4 Springfield songs...Still's "Bluebird" "Rock and Roll Woman" and Youngs "Expecting to Fly" "Mr. Soul" are some of Stills and Young's best ever written.
THey get a little country at times but they have the core of CSNY enough for you to enjoy. Buffallo Springfield Again is highly recommended for starters and it has those 4 songs for you to hear for yourself.

Driveshaft Dan
01-15-2007, 08:27 AM
So what if they only had one major hit, one's enough to get them remembered for ages...And it was a beast of a song i don't think anyone will forget in a hurry....

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Even so, a lot of bands that never even had any hits are still remembered today.

In fact, that's true for all music. A lot of these rappers who we've heard only one song (rap :rolleyes: ) from will be remembered for a long time for it.

Driveshaft Dan
01-16-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't think a band could be remembered with no hits......They would have to have at least 1 or they would fade away....and then even then, some artists who used to be really popular have faded away *cough* Gareth Gates *cough*....mind you come to think of it thats not suprising...he was a tv produced artist and they never last....plus at the end of the day no one really liked him..we all started listening to real music insteads....thank god..

TheHeartbreaker
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Frank Zappa didn't really have any hits. He's definitely well known.

Sloopy
01-16-2007, 09:13 PM

Totally agree dude. They still are a big influence, especially with mastering the protest song. Kinda led the way for lots of jangle pop groups like The Byrds to receive fame IMO.

TheHeartbreaker
01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Definitely, though I am a much bigger fan of The Byrds than Buffalo Springfield.

The Byrds are amazing.

Sloopy
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Definitely, though I am a much bigger fan of The Byrds than Buffalo Springfield.

The Byrds are amazing.

Yeah go Byrds!

and CSN&Y like pretty much those two groups together.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Definitely.

studwig
01-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I bought their greatest hits just for the song "For what its worth", but now i am a devoted fan and find my self buying anything neil young or stephen stills related. I love them, they are really good and i definately recomend "retrospect the best of buffalo springfield" to anyone who hasnt heard them it will open a whole new world.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Honestly, for a band that released only three albums, I'd find that the Greatest Hits would be rather pointless.

Personally, it would make more sense to me to buy an actual album of theirs and see if you like it, and then continue buying their other two.

lexhibit
01-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I bought their greatest hits just for the song "For what its worth", but now i am a devoted fan and find my self buying anything neil young or stephen stills related. I love them, they are really good and i definately recomend "retrospect the best of buffalo springfield" to anyone who hasnt heard them it will open a whole new world.
At last, at least someone out there besides me knows they were not a one hit wonder.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 07:12 PM
What about me?! :(