Noel Redding....

PDA

View Full Version : Noel Redding....

radio_schizo
12-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Other than 'She's so Fine' and 'Little Miss Strange' are their any other songs he wrote and sang in when playing with The Experience? Cos' I love those two songs.

get-born
12-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Not that I know of...

He has a good voice, and a good bassist.

TheHeartbreaker
12-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Good bassist?

Ooh, I have to disagree with you man. He seemed to be very lost as a bassist. All I've read about him have been complaints.

In fact, Jimi had to play bass a few times on different songs because Noel couldn't play it right.

psychodelia
12-25-2006, 09:43 PM
He gets slammed as a bassist. It's just not his thing, he's a guitarist forced to play an unfamiliar instrument behind a guy who runs away with the show.

I don't know of any other songs by him, though.

TheHeartbreaker
12-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Have any of you guys heard of Fat Mattress?

It's the band that Noel joined after leaving The Experience. I own one (which I believe in their only) album.

The band is... different. Not bad - not great, but I recommend checking them out.

They're probably one of the type of bands frippogenics would listen to. :p:

frippogenics
12-25-2006, 10:39 PM

;) It would be, but from what I've read, it's sort of generic sounding psychedelia, so it's not really at the top of my list. In time though...in time.

One thing I always wondered is if Noel Redding was such an incompetant bassist and if Hendrix got in frequent arguements with him, why the hell didn't Jimi just dump him?

psychodelia
12-25-2006, 11:18 PM
One thing I always wondered is if Noel Redding was such an incompetant bassist and if Hendrix got in frequent arguements with him, why the hell didn't Jimi just dump him?

I've wondered the same thing. It's mind-boggling, what could his reason for keeping him be?

I was reading through the notes on the inside of my cd "Axis: Bold as Love" and it described of Noel Redding "He made Jimi and Mitch become as tight as the tightest bass and drum combos." The nice way of saying he's a shit bassist. :haha

Lessthanbass22
12-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Have any of you guys heard of Fat Mattress?

It's the band that Noel joined after leaving The Experience. I own one (which I believe in their only) album.

The band is... different. Not bad - not great, but I recommend checking them out.

Does Redding play bass or guitar on that album?

frippogenics
12-26-2006, 12:26 AM
^ Guitar

get-born
12-26-2006, 12:30 AM
I thought he was a very good bassist. He fit well in the band, despite Hendrix having to play on a few tracks. The complaints were because he used a pick on a bass, and Mitch didn't like that.

EDIT
I was looking through your Recordnerd Friggoponics (SP?) and how is Too Old To Rock, Too Young To Die!? I read about it, and it has a cool concept...

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 11:00 AM
;) It would be, but from what I've read, it's sort of generic sounding psychedelia, so it's not really at the top of my list. In time though...in time.

And you magically appear at the calling of your name. :)

I've wondered the same thing.

I am going to assume that perhaps there was a fear that if Noel left there was a chance of not finding anyone better.

That's probably not right, though.

ledhed68
12-26-2006, 11:49 AM
And you magically appear at the calling of your name. :)

I've wondered the same thing.

I am going to assume that perhaps there was a fear that if Noel left there was a chance of not finding anyone better.

That's probably not right, though.

well he knew billy cox from his years in america before moving to england, and billy cox joined the band of gypys, but i think noel's simplicity probably gave hendrix more room to do his own thing, its very hard to pull of something on the guitar like hendrix did with a very complex basis of the song from the bass, so i think the simplicity is probably something hendrix wanted

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
He did know Billy Cox, but he lost contact with him after leaving.

He used to play with him and tell him that one day he would be great, and after he became famous the two hadn't spoken for years.

I'm sure that it wouldn't have even been Jimi's choice to choose someone such as Billy, who wasn't famous.

Oasisy Bob
12-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Apparently Jimi liked him because he looked like Bob Dylan, who Hendrix idolized...
And, also apparently, but slightly less reliable, NOel wrote the riffs for the following songs -

midnight lamp
ending of foxy lady
eazy rider
remember
red house

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Okay... There's a little bit of closure.

Abe
12-27-2006, 04:01 PM
^^I heard he wrote the Burning of the Midnight Lamp riff too.

He does seem like the weak link in the band, I love Mitch's drumming, and uhh I don't really need to say much 'bout Jimi.