YES (the band)

PDA

View Full Version : YES (the band)

Lessthanbass22
12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Due to a little confusion with other threads i have decided to make a Yes thread to talk about this great band. Favorite song, member, album whatever discuss here.

My favorite album would have to be fragile, every song is great.

i(ncubus)play
12-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I like Roundabout and I've Seen All Good People

psychodelia
12-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I like Chris Squire. Been trying to fiddle with my friend's bass to sound a bit more like him.

get-born
12-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Steve Howe
Close To The Edge
And You And I or Siberian Khatru

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 06:46 PM
My favorite member of the band is Steve Howe, though every member of the band was amazing.

My favorite album, at the moment, is either Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, or The Yes Album.

As for songs, I enjoy Beyond and Before (from Yes), I've Seen All Good People, Starship Trooper, Siberian Khatru, or Yours Is No Disgrace.

The_Yoki
12-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Members:
Howe, Squire and Wakeman!

Albums:
The Yes Album, Fragile, Topographic Oceans

Songs:
differs from time to time, right know I'd go for Heart of the Sunrise, Starship Trooper and Yours Is No Disgrace. But Long Distance Runaround is one of all-time favs :)

oh, and Anderson shall burn in hell for Owner Of A Lonely Heart :(

streetcarp19
12-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I will admit that I think they had one of the best line-ups in prog music during the fragile/close to the edge albums.

I just have a hard time believing that it could get any better than Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, Squire, Anderson.

Favorite song is easily Close to the Edge, imo one of the best songs ever written.

TheHeartbreaker
12-26-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think its that bad of a song. :(

The_Yoki
12-26-2006, 10:50 PM
But it's bad for a Yes song. It's just not that sort of music they used to make before. It's nothing like progressive rock... unfortunately :(

Nighthawk551
12-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Chris Squire is an awesome bassist. I like some of Yes' stuff, but even some of it gets a little too odd sounding for my style of prog.

get-born
12-27-2006, 12:35 AM
I think Rick is underappreciated.

Lessthanbass22
12-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Ya Chris Squire is a beast and a half on bass, he is one of my major influenes.

psychodelia
12-27-2006, 02:40 AM
oh, and Anderson shall burn in hell for Owner Of A Lonely Heart :(

His appearances with Mike Oldfield and King Crimson make up for it, though :)

TheHeartbreaker
12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I think Rick is underappreciated.

Really?

I feel that he gets the respect he deserves. You ask people who their favorite keyboardists are, and you hear Rick Wakeman mentioned everytime.

streetcarp19
12-27-2006, 11:06 AM
His appearances with Mike Oldfield and King Crimson make up for it, though :)Agreed, that appearance he made at the first on the song Lizard, really does sent shivers down my spine. God damn i love that album.

get-born
12-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Really?

I feel that he gets the respect he deserves. You ask people who their favorite keyboardists are, and you hear Rick Wakeman mentioned everytime.

But he is in Steve Howe's shadow, and he is the bestand what he does. His arraging skills are underappreciated also, he arragenged a lot of Yes stuff perfectly, that no one notices. Do you have Six Wives Of Henry The 8th?

self-made_page
12-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Squire
The Yes Album
White Car

TheHeartbreaker
12-27-2006, 02:51 PM
But he is in Steve Howe's shadow, and he is the bestand what he does. His arraging skills are underappreciated also, he arragenged a lot of Yes stuff perfectly, that no one notices. Do you have Six Wives Of Henry The 8th?

I used to... :(

I'm not saying he is bad - I feel that he is awesome. He's one of my favorite keyboardists.

I'm simply saying that he is recieving the respect he deserves, because he is so talented.

get-born
12-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Agreed, and Ill send you SWOHT8 on AIM soon...

get-born
12-30-2006, 12:04 AM
I really didn't express this is my earlier posts, but Yes rules. Easily in my top 3 favorite bands, and Steve Howe is a god to me, and I love this band with a burning desire. Yes rules!!!

Luncbox
12-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Yes is awesome. Except when they get TOO progressive, like on their Tales from Topographic Oceans album. That's just too progressive.

Favorite songs: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (I'm not sure if that's by Yes or Wakeman's solo career), The Clap, and Mood For a Day.

ratm_basssolger
12-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Very awesome band.My favourite album is Fragile.Chris Squire is a very talented bassist,my favourite song is Roundabout or Heart Of The Sunrise.

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes is awesome. Except when they get TOO progressive, like on their Tales from Topographic Oceans album. That's just too progressive.

Favorite songs: The Six Wives of Henry VIII (I'm not sure if that's by Yes or Wakeman's solo career), The Clap, and Mood For a Day.

It's Rick Wakeman's solo career.

And how can you not enjoy when they get too Progressive? It's so intense. :p:

get-born
12-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Its just like their other earlier albums except longer...

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Much longer... And their debut album didn't really have many orchestral elements to it, unlike their second album Time and a Word.

get-born
12-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Their debut is very good though. Sweetness, Survival, Everything, all awesome songs my only complaint is no Steve Howe.

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Other than that, though, the album is amazing.

I mean, come on, covering The Beatles? And add to that the fact that the cover may be better than the original? :p:

Yes has always been awesome (except in the 80s ;) ).