Chord finger placement

PDA

View Full Version : Chord finger placement

EnergyAZ
12-27-2006, 08:07 PM
For the most part, I am comfortable with finger placement of most of the chords I am learning, but sometimes I find it easier to do some a little differently.

I am wanting to stick 100% to proper fundamentals but I find that fretting the basic D chord using 2 fingers rather than the traditional 3 fingers is easier for me to get into/out of more smoothly. I use my 1st finger to bar the lower 3 strings on fret 2, and my 2nd finger to fret the B string on fret 3

Also fretting A chord, I use one finger to bar the strings rather than 3 fingers as shown in any diagram or chart I look at. Its just a lot easier for me to bar the strings with one finger than try to cram all 3 fingers into that small space.

Would these be considered bad habits? Or is finger placement for chord shapes just suggestions to fret a chord and people could/should do what feels best for them?

AdamDK
12-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Umm I guess they aren't really bad habbits. Many people (Including myself) use barre A chords, but I've never tried a barre D, but it could work out, I'm not too sure, it's easier using a normal D for changing to different chords in a similar shape.

.:METALJIM:.
12-27-2006, 08:19 PM
no....... most people bar like that helps with speed and being smooth, just do what u want.

sum41kid123
12-27-2006, 08:20 PM
it's obviously better sticking to the proper ways...but we all learn our own way....so i guess there isn't no wrong way to playing chords...as long as you play them properly etc.

EnergyAZ
12-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Umm I guess they aren't really bad habbits. Many people (Including myself) use barre A chords, but I've never tried a barre D, but it could work out, I'm not too sure, it's easier using a normal D for changing to different chords in a similar shape.

How many chords use similar shape as that triangle shape of D? That was what I was kind of worried about, if I got too used to barring the D, I may wind up stunting myself when learning other chords down the line?

But so far, its just a lot easier to get into and out of that chord if I bar the strings.

I considered it 'cheating' in my mind cause it made chord progression so much easier for me (going from G to D for example)

OK - so no worries about how I am barring A chord. Good to know. Just seems to make more sense to bar that chord, dunno why I see it shown using 3 fingers so much? It was a real pain in the you know to get all 3 fingers in there cleanly, when I tried to bar it, it was like 'Duh - just do it this way!'

AdamDK
12-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Well, they aren't of too a similar shape, but changing from a normal D to An A Minor chord, E Major, etc would be easier becuase your not deforming a barre to move it. But like I said it could still work out, I'm not too sure, not an expert on chords.

kirbyrocknroll
12-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I bar D as well. I find it much easier.

CODE
12-27-2006, 09:26 PM
The fingerings teachers and books give you are there to make some chord changes easier, but you can finger them how ever it feels as long as it doesn't start to make your hand or anything sore.

silvadolla
12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
For the most part, I am comfortable with finger placement of most of the chords I am learning, but sometimes I find it easier to do some a little differently.

I am wanting to stick 100% to proper fundamentals but I find that fretting the basic D chord using 2 fingers rather than the traditional 3 fingers is easier for me to get into/out of more smoothly. I use my 1st finger to bar the lower 3 strings on fret 2, and my 2nd finger to fret the B string on fret 3

Also fretting A chord, I use one finger to bar the strings rather than 3 fingers as shown in any diagram or chart I look at. Its just a lot easier for me to bar the strings with one finger than try to cram all 3 fingers into that small space.

Would these be considered bad habits? Or is finger placement for chord shapes just suggestions to fret a chord and people could/should do what feels best for them?

my teacher gave me a good explanation to this, he said there are two ways of doing things, the collegiate way, and the more comfortable way. unless you're playing a strictly classical piece, do anything that makes you feel more comfortable. however, being aware of the different styles and being able to play them that way will make you a well-rounded guitarist

AznElliot518
12-27-2006, 10:33 PM
The reason some chords are fingered different in different situations is the fact that sometimes one way would make more sense and aid in switching chords or whatever.

For example, if you were playing a G chord and then switching to a C chord after that, the fingering would be easier if the ring finger played the root rather than the middle. So you would be using the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers instead of 1, 2 and 3.

Tiarella Jones
12-27-2006, 11:01 PM
My instructor showed me the barre method for the A chord right off the bat and explained that it made transition to certain forms easier.

I use the traditional D chord form but the bar method sounds like it would be cool to use sometimes I guess. I find it real easy to go from the D to the G, however.

Tsunoyukami
12-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I also play my A chord barred like that most of the time. However, I play my D chord traditionally becaus I often use Dsus2 and I think that wouldn't be as smooth when playing (though I haven't tried it).

I doubt this will make playing harder for you, but you should probably learn the traditional way as well so that you can play it that way when you need to.