Country Idea [MIDI + GP5], interesting tuning

PDA

View Full Version : Country Idea [MIDI + GP5], interesting tuning

Inspired_by_Vai
12-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I was playing around with open d6 tuning on my dobro and came up with this riff/idea thing. Its sorta rock/country

Would love some Constructive Critisism on how i could develop and improve it. Cheers :)

EDIT:
Ok, it isnt really Country at all. lol. Its more Bluesgrass/Acoustic Metal

Alternate_rock
12-31-2006, 03:28 PM
lol, woah. im not sure this is country in the slightest bit. sounded more like acoustic metal. If you want it to be country, slow it down ALot.

Fama
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Heh, turn it into a distortion guitar and especially the last part sounds like metal. How to improve? Dunno, add other instruments? :P Drums, bass maybe. String ensemble? I dunno.

GiantRaven
12-31-2006, 04:59 PM
I think it sounds much better as a distorted guitar

Add some Bass and Drums and I think it would make a good intro to a metal song

Liam Efting
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
You listen to Eric Sardinas much? Or Johnny Hiland? This is some very dark bluegrassy stuff, it's very very cool.

I would like to see you make a song from this, and then I'll gladly critique that too, the tuning in use here brings out some REALLY interesting tones from the chords your making, and in addition to that you've really managed to make a catchy hook or two in the midst of these few measures.

Let me know when you complete the song, I'd love to hear it. =D

Inspired_by_Vai
01-01-2007, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the Crits guys, i know it wasnt really country, i just couldnt think of a genre to catagorise it in :p: to Liam, yeah i saw Eric live with Steve Vai, and was instantly captured by his style, which inspired me to buy the dobro i used to write the song, ill upload a GP4 file for those who need it, and carry on working on it :cheers:

Inspired_by_Vai
01-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Update:

Finished one guitar part, soon to add drums, bass, lyrics and another guitar, maybe distortion?
Im not enitirely happy with the entrace to the breakdown part (bars 69 + 70) but im sure ill think of something later :p:
Still needs fancy touches adding, mutes and harmonics and little fills here and there but
see what you think, theres a MIDI, GP5 and GP4 file in the folder

:cheers:

Fallenblood
01-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Not my style, but I liked it.

At bar 60, the palm muting sounds weird, and I've been wondering, what would a slide out of a muted string actually sound like?

Inspired_by_Vai
01-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the Crit
Lol i kinda meant that to mean just slide down from generally anywhere into the next phrase, i usually go down from around fret 9 though, so i should really edit that :p:

Pleiadian
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Listen to Zakk Wylde - Farm Fiddlin'
It's an 8-minute instrumental piece he did for "Guitars That Rule The World 2," it sounds very similar to what you made. It incorporates country, blues, and metal. One of my faves!