Jai Guru Deva...Om

PDA

View Full Version : Jai Guru Deva...Om

rock_and_blues
12-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I feel like an idiot for not knowing this but...In the Beatles song "Across The Universe" what does the phrase "Jai guru deva...om" mean (and what language is it in?). John repeats it over and over again and I've always wondered what it meant

RainSong
12-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Jai Guru Dev Om is a short phrase in Sanskrit/Hindi, recited in the song "Across the Universe" by The Beatles. It was recorded early 1968 just before The Beatles flew to India to attend a residence course where they studied philosophy and transcendental meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. A rough translation of the phrase "Jai Guru Dev" is "thank you Guru Dev,; the "Guru Dev" being Brahmananda Saraswati (the guru of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi).[citation needed]

The breakdown of the etymology is:

* Jai: "victory" or "success", can also mean "glory", "salutations", or "thank you".
* guru: as spiritual guide
* deva: a "god" or "heavenly one". Pronunciation of the "a" on the end of the word "Dev" is optional, and in the song John Lennon appears to have used the longer form for the sake of rhythm and other poetic considerations, which is normal practice for the pronunciation of such words, due to the unique qualities of Sanskrit consonants (see Sanskrit alphabet).
* Om: the sound of the balance of the universe, frequently invoked in meditations of the Indic religions. Its purpose (both in the song and in meditations) is to establish contact with the universe
:)

rock_and_blues
12-29-2006, 10:44 PM
thanks man, I figured it was Sanskrit as the subject matter of the lyrics are very tinged with eastern philosophy and references

RainSong
12-29-2006, 10:47 PM
im a chick lol but your welcome :p:

rock_and_blues
12-29-2006, 10:50 PM
once again i must apologize lol

MTVget0FFtheAIR
12-30-2006, 08:07 PM
thats pretty interesting, i figured it was from the maharishi but didnt know what it meant, thanks