Ten Years After

PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years After

get-born
12-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I have SHHH... and Cricklewood Green. I just thought they were OK really until yesterday when I listened to "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" for the first time in a while and I realized how awesome they were. God, Alvin Lee is great, and the rest of their band also. Ten Years After is amazing!

Any other fans aside from The Heartbreaker?

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 11:53 AM
:haha

I always seem to be mentioned in every Ten Years After thread.

Anyways... Good Morning Little School Girl is amazing, but from Sssh I prefer the opening song Bad Scene. Apart from what sounds like a very squeaky faucet in the beginning, the song is great.

I'll be honest and tell you, though, I am a much bigger fan of the bands live acts than their studio albums. Picking up Ten Years After Live at the Fillmore East should be everyone's next buy.

ledzep1023
12-30-2006, 11:53 AM
have you ever seen the alvin lee signature gibson custom shop guitar?
its f*ckin sweet

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah it is.

Anyways, an interesting tid-bit on Alvin...

He wasn't a very strong student in school. He got in trouble a lot, and even if he didn't do anything, he was usually blamed.

Rather than pay attention in school, he got a piece of wood and worked with it to model the first four of five frets of a guitar. In class, he would fiddle with it, practicing chord positions and running his fingers over it to familiarize himself with licks, rather than learn.

samerika
12-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Its incredible !

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
The only complaint I honestly have about it, which is a general complaint about Alvin's playing in general, is that he has a very noticable style that is seen throughout every solo.

No matter how fast or slow the song is, after a few notes he tends to go into these very quick bursts of flying up and down the fretboard.

I see Alvin as being more of a dazzler with his solos - trying to show off with his speed, rather than relate a style similar to that of a David Gilmour, who tries to make his solos, from a musical perspective, "fit" with the rest of the band.

get-born
12-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, Alvin pretty much was shreding with the blues back then, but still, hes very good.

Bad Scene is OK, I perfer a lot from SHHH though, like Good Morning..., and Two-Time Mama. But the drumming is very good too.

I also think that, if TYA had a better vocalist, they would have been truly great. Imagine Robert Plant, or Steve Marriot singing for them. They would be the best.

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I disagree, in some senses, with your last comment.

Alvin did not have the best voice, that's for sure, but he definitely had a much greater range than almost any vocalist at the time.

However, Alvin Lee basically was Ten Years After, much like how John Fogerty was Creedence Clearwater Revival - the names went hand-in-hand.

Putting someone else in the spotlight would have likely caused ego problems.

I know what you're thinking, but I brought up the same topic with Jimi Hendrix.

It may sound good on paper, but would likely not work out.

VR05
12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey, im a TYA fan too.... :(
no one ever knows about me thoughh..
Haha just joking i really dont care, but my favorite album is Live at the Fillmore East, the band is hot on that album, and they have an awesome setlist to boot.. Essential for any fan, or someone who is trying to get into them

Minderbinder
01-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey, im a TYA fan too.... :(
no one ever knows about me thoughh..
Haha just joking i really dont care, but my favorite album is Live at the Fillmore East, the band is hot on that album, and they have an awesome setlist to boot.. Essential for any fan, or someone who is trying to get into them

Live at Fillmore East was great, and so was their "Recorded live" album. TYA always put on a great live preformance. Alvin Lee is amazing.

Sublimeman
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
i love ten years after!
I have all their albums and a signed positive vibrations album flat by ric lee leo lyons and chick churchill.
favorite album probably is a space in time
one of my favorite bands of all time

Pineapple17
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I agree with bad scene. That song rocks so hard, i really love the rythm change

TheHeartbreaker
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Live at Fillmore East was great, and so was their "Recorded live" album. TYA always put on a great live preformance. Alvin Lee is amazing.

Recorded Live is nice, man. Great album. Love Scat Thing (is it meant to be a pun or something?).

And Sublimeman...

You ****ing rock. I still have to find some of their earlier albums. I'm going to likely have to order them off of Amazon, though, because CD stores don't sell shit anymore.

get-born
01-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I disagree, in some senses, with your last comment.

Alvin did not have the best voice, that's for sure, but he definitely had a much greater range than almost any vocalist at the time.

However, Alvin Lee basically was Ten Years After, much like how John Fogerty was Creedence Clearwater Revival - the names went hand-in-hand.

Putting someone else in the spotlight would have likely caused ego problems.

I know what you're thinking, but I brought up the same topic with Jimi Hendrix.

It may sound good on paper, but would likely not work out.

Well, if Alvin would be humble enough to have an accutual band, apposed to just a backing group it would. But just imagine Steve Marriot singing "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" or "I'm Going Home". They would be THE best.

Recorded Live is nice, man. Great album. Love Scat Thing (is it meant to be a pun or something?).

Ahhh... THe Recorded Live album. I stubled across that little gem in a basement a few months back, and here I am now! A huge TYA fan. That is a great album. Have it on vinyl.

TheHeartbreaker
01-02-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm definitely not suggesting that a different singer could have made the songs amazing, but I don't believe that, had another big name been in the band that it would have likely lasted as long as it did (conflicts may have likely arosen).