Show off here!

PDA

View Full Version : Show off here!

Oasis-fanatic
12-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Well everybody likes to brag about what they can do with a guitar ;)

So let the world know

* How long youve been playing
* Self taught or taught by teacher
* The best things you can play
* Biggest crowd youve played in front of
* What guitar you have price blah blah
* Influences
* and anything else you want to add

EDIT: Ok many of you are saying "this is dumb, anybody can lie" well dont lie to make yourself good as this is just to let people know what you can do and your achievments ETC. If you want, add clips of you playing or songs that you've wrote and recorded to prove yourself, this world is too modest.

Kingyem0c0re
12-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Well, with my Guitar, I can sit down & play it properly.

Unlike so many about.

nightwind
12-30-2006, 12:49 PM
I can keep my accomplishments to myself, while sharing my music to anyone who will listen.

CodyJuice
12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
^ +1

Buckethead5
12-30-2006, 12:51 PM
OK:

I've been playing for three years now, in I'm really proud of the fact that i can play buckethead's Hog Bitch Stomp, and lessons from Paul Gilbert. I'm 15 years old the 20th of January, so I don't have a lot of cash. + I live in Norway, so the guitars don't come cheap (imported from america and stuff) so i have to buy guitars from Stagg, but i'm pleased with Stagg. cheap and good quality. I have a stagg t300 & a stagg a2006 :peace:

SG6578
12-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Ive played for 5 years, self taught, I played 30,000 in sydney, influences....jeez a ton green day, blink 182, my chemical romance........ect.....

Astaldo
12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
hehe, been playin for almostg 3 years now
never had a teacher, don't want one either ^^
best things? hmm... nothing else matters, stairway to heaven, some own stuff :P
played in front of almost 300 people at the prom :)
i own a ibanez sa s32 fmtl, i paid 450€ and 50€ for the hardcase. and a martinez est 1978 300€ and a hardcase for 30€.
influences are Velver Revolver, Guns n roses, nickelback, the darkness, a bit of hendrix...

still having loots of fun with the band =)

shooky
12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
*ive been playing for about 10 monthes
*self thought
*the best things i can play are the extremist by satriani, bad horsey by vai, novenber rain by guns n roses, stairway by led, one by metallica( i couldent choose, and hey! its braging)
*playd in front of 70 people
*fender american stratocaster- 1000 dollars
*satriani, vai, slash, page are my influences
* oh, and im 14

devilscruffs14
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I've been playing 2 years, self-taught (teachers suck!:p:)

I have three guitars, a bass, and a drum kit. my first guitar was a squier stratocaster, cost about 100$. then i got an ESP h-50 for free, and now i play an Ibanez RG 350 MDX which cost about 500$. my bass is a standard fender P-bass, and my drums are basically psp, exept a couple of Sabian cymbals.

the hardest thing i can play on the guitar is probably Bark at the Moon (whole song) or the Mr Crowley solo. On the bass it is either NIB (sabbath) or Aeroplane (i dont slap that much anymore though). On drums it might be Symptom of the Universe (sabbath)

my influences:
(guitar)
Tony Iommi
Jake E Lee
Randy Rhoads
John Petrucci
Buckethead
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck

(Bass)
Geezer Butler
John Myung
Geddy Lee
Flea

(Drums)
Bill Ward
Mike Portnoy
Neil Peart
Whoever the guy from RHCP is, I forgot his name. Chad Something

my biggest crowd was about 800

Oasis-fanatic
12-30-2006, 01:11 PM
* Been playing 11 monthsish
* Self taught
* All of ace of spades including solo(peice of piss i know)almost all hendrix songs all the way through, all guns n roses solos and tons of the good solos xD
* Biggest crowd, about 500 xD
* Ibanez GIO-GRX 70 about £180 including crap amp
* Hendrix, Santana, Dire Straits, Oasis, all heavy metal bands such as maiden sabbath and metallica
* also play bass not very good best thing i can play is either daytripper or cant stop xD and im in 3-4 bands xD

garett
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Well everybody likes to brag about what they can do with a guitar ;)They do ? :rolleyes:

Oasis-fanatic
12-30-2006, 01:14 PM
They do ? :rolleyes:

yes im fed up of putting myself doing and seeing others do the same xD

garett
12-30-2006, 01:16 PM
yes im fed up of putting myself doing and seeing others do the same xDIn English ?

TheDarkestNights
12-30-2006, 01:26 PM
* 2 years playing
* 1 1/2 years self taught, then I got a teacher.
* Best thing I can play? Umm, Sweet Child O' Mine pretty much perfectly, Bed of Razors same
* 120 at school
* Vintage Metal Axxe Reaper, £140.
* Trivium, Atreyu, I Killed The Prom Queen etc.
* Don't take the piss of my cheap guitar :peace:

Oasis-fanatic
12-30-2006, 01:30 PM
In English ?

??? youre english but you dont understand the term "putting yourself down"?

Tsunoyukami
12-30-2006, 01:48 PM
* I've been playing for thirteen months.
* I'm self-taught though I would be interested in getting a *good* teacher.
* I'm not sure. I've never been a fan of great technicality so I haven't learned anything overly impressive yet.
* I'd guess and say ten or so. I wasn't trying to play for them I was playing for the sake of playing and they came to me. :D
* I have a Washburn J28SDL - I love it.
* My influences are Nirvana, The White Stripes, The Beatles, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, The Arcade Fire, Led Zeppelin, The Who and I'm sure I've missed some important ones.

garett
12-30-2006, 01:52 PM
??? youre english but you dont understand the term "putting yourself down"?Is that what you meant ? Go back and read what you typed.

ouchies
12-30-2006, 02:07 PM
i dont know how to play guitar :'[

Oasis-fanatic
12-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Is that what you meant ? Go back and read what you typed.

yes thats what i meant xD

edg
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
This is rather dumb. Anyone can say anything they want in a forum like this.

I prefer just letting my playing do the talking. It's there for the listening at
http://edg.dmusic.com/music/

Either you like it or not. That's up to you.

Archeo Avis
12-30-2006, 04:33 PM
*self thought
*the best things i can play are the extremist by satriani, bad horsey by vai

Solos included? That would require sound clips.

axe_grinder247
12-30-2006, 05:07 PM
oh, i've been playing about 2 centuries, obviously self-taught, i can play any song you put in front of me, played at Carnegie Hall and at many stadium shows around the world, i have about 400 guitars and a signature model that runs about $4000, and i'm influenced by me, myself, and i...i also have perfect pitch

/bs

by the way, edg, i've listened to your material and i must say that i like it very much...i love your tone

bluesrocker101
12-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Solos included? That would require sound clips.

Yup.

For me, 3 years and still going strong. I'm deeply in love with jazz theory and modal theory. I love to improvise, gimme a chord progression, any one even if it isnt in the same key, i'll dial it up on my jam station, and i'll give clips (dont expect anything uber fast or god like though). Most ive played infront of is a couple hundred.

edg
12-30-2006, 05:18 PM
by the way, edg, i've listened to your material and i must say that i like it very much...i love your tone

Thanks!

I think the first one I recorded, Voodoo Child, was about 2 years ago. I've recently
been making some recordings of my "solo practice" and it's amazing how much
progress I've made since then. Maybe I'll put some of those up. Kinda boring
unless you happen to like those Gratefull Dead jams that never seem to end. :)

axe_grinder247
12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
^well, jerry garcia is one of my favorite guitarists, so i don't mind :)

insideac
12-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Im still a beginner I guess.

* How long youve been playing: Almost 3 years
* Self taught or taught by teacher: Both, my guitar teacher doesnt show me alot of new stuff nowadays.
* The best things you can play: I guess a few songs by Necrophagist...Bad Horsie?
* Biggest crowd youve played in front of: 2,000 people :(
* What guitar you have price blah blah: An Ibanez RG 270, it cost me 200 bucks used, I love it, it has an ebony fretboard.
* Influences: Yngwie Malmsteen, Muhammad Suicmez, Brain from Black Dahlia Murder, and Pat o Brien
* and anything else you want to add: I know not much of theory, Im always trying to go for the hardest stuff though, I guess thats why I progress fast.

Jimbo999
12-30-2006, 05:53 PM
How long youve been playing: Almost 2

Self taught or taught by teacher: Self Taught

The best things you can play: Nearly every RHCP song, some Hendrix, Crazy Train

Biggest crowd youve played in front of: 1'500 people

What guitar you have price blah blah: Fender American Strat (£700), exceptionally set up by the shop

Influences: John Frusciante, Randy Rhoads, Jimi Hendrix, Matt Bellamy

Doofag
12-30-2006, 06:37 PM
*self thought
*the best things i can play are the extremist by satriani, bad horsey by vai, novenber rain by guns n roses, stairway by led, one by metallica( i couldent choose, and hey! its braging)
*playd in front of 70 people
*fender american stratocaster- 1000 dollars
*satriani, vai, slash, page are my influences
* oh, and im 14

Lie

Dr. No
12-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I can express myself through my music, thats all that matters.

justin_fraser
12-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Ya Edg, I really like a lot of that stuff. Like that one guys said, the tone is sweet. Clean guitar work and not sloppy. Awesome.

Now for me and my guitar playing. Well Ive been playing for over 2 years, taught for the 1st year, and on my own now. I have an Epi LP Custom that I got this summer and music is my life.

insideac
12-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Lie

He spent so much time reading the tab for Bad Horsie that he still forgot the name of it :rolleyes: I call BS. But who cares.

psycho78
12-30-2006, 09:13 PM
i've been playing for a year, i've had a teacher the whole time & i think he's really helping me become a pretty well-rounded guitarist. i can learn whatever he gives me relatively well, he's really good about exposing me to theory & a wide variety of stuff. i'm willing to put in the effort to learn pretty much anything in other words. i started getting hardcore into theory on my own in september & am taking classes at my college. i have a fender starcaster (costco guitar $200, it gets the job done) and an acoustic by alvarez ($200). i basically play for friends..i jammed out around the campfire for i guess 10-15 people? i like kirk hammett, dimebag, tony iommi. i'd say the song i can play best is spanish ballad. i can also play a bunch of sabbath & a bit of metallica fairly well, some ac/dc, good amount of miscellaneous things. i can't solo all that well, but we've been focusing on that more recently during lessons.

RedDeath9
12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
How long I've been playing

* Like 1 1/2 years or something...

* Mostly self-taught, had a teacher for like 2 months.

Best songs

* Selkies: The Endless Obsession solo, a bunch of Thrice...

Biggest Crowd I've played for

* Maybe 5 or 6 :p:

Guitar

* Hahaha some Ion piece of crap...

Influences

* Teppei Teranishi, Paul Waggoner, Mikael Akerfeldt, John Petrucci, and Ian D'sa or however you spell it.

Embodiment
12-31-2006, 04:37 AM
* How long you've been playing: 2 years
* Self taught or taught by teacher: On and off with teachers, I couldn't find a good one till now.
* The best things you can play: Most of Baroque and Roll by Malmsteen, Towards Dead End by CoB, almost got Stabwound by Necrophagist up to speed, Passage To The Reaper by Sinergy, Technical Difficulties by Racer X
* Biggest crowd you've played in front of: A few friends. I don't do gigs cuz I'm not in a band.
* What guitar you have: LTD Ax 250 - $799; Saving up for an ESP Viper - $4499
* Influences: Alexi Laiho, Yngwie Malmsteen, Muhammed Suiçmez, Chuck Schulinder, Jason Becker, Michael Amott, Negral, Samoth, etc.
* I can sweep and tap really well and my alternate picking is getting really good but I don't know much theory except for scale and chord formations. I'm good at leads but not that great at rhythm.

and1balla15
12-31-2006, 07:52 AM
* 2 years
* Self taught
* Metallica & Tommy Emmanuel
* Infront of School (1000+ people)
* Fender Strat
* Tommy Emmanuel + Kirk Hammett + Herman Li
* Rock On

Gbell3587
12-31-2006, 07:58 AM
whats the point in coming on here to lie to a bunch of people youve never met and will prob never see. Like some people claim to be 8 years old and can play every single solo from every single song in the world.......exaggeration i know, but you get the point.

shmooty
12-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Been playing for 4 - 5 years now.

Hardest thing I can play?? I dunno really.... I can play a fair few parts to some Dream Theater songs, (but not the solos :p: ) Erm... same with stuff by Vai and Satch... I prefer to learn the parts I can play, work on some of the harder bits, but then look at the theory and stuff. I also can play some Spanish guitar (learning Recuerdos de la Alhambra amongst others) and one flamenco song (only been doing that recently, but its going well.... bloody hard though :p: )

I've had a teacher for all the time i've been playing... but I've "taught myself" the Satch/DT/Vai stuff.

Guitar is an Ibanez EDR470 EX. Its made of some Luthite material... has a smooth tone, and plays so comfortably... its probably the nicest guitar i've played with comfort wise. Its similiar in shape to the JS model. It could just do with a new trem being fitted, but i've no cash :( It cost £300 second hand, was in good condition too.

Ampwise I currently play into a PA system which my band bought. I usually go through an RP200A. I can't stand it's distortion though. I'm looking into buying an amp - thinking of getting an Epi Valve Junior

Have played in front of about 100 people at a school thing. didn't come off too well though because my band practised for about two hours for the whole thing, whch was the first time we'd played together... but we did get the hardest song we did (Foxey Lady) near enough perfect :p:

I know enough theory to get by, but I should be getting a second teacher soon who will work with me on the electric side of things. Hoping to learn some jazz as well as looking at my technique so I can start to build some speed up and get some of Satch's/ DT solo's learnt (bit optomistic I suppose :p: )

Buckethead5
12-31-2006, 09:42 AM
OK:

I've been playing for three years now, in I'm really proud of the fact that i can play buckethead's Hog Bitch Stomp, and lessons from Paul Gilbert. I'm 15 years old the 20th of January, so I don't have a lot of cash. + I live in Norway, so the guitars don't come cheap (imported from america and stuff) so i have to buy guitars from Stagg, but i'm pleased with Stagg. cheap and good quality. I have a stagg t300 & a stagg a2006 :peace:

Aaand, i'm self taught, and i'm 15

wasp2020
12-31-2006, 02:18 PM
* How long youve been playing: Maybe 1 1/2 or 2 years, can't remember.
* Self taught or taught by teacher: Self. Well I'm in a group class, but none of them even know what a note is, so I'm not learning anything there.
* The best things you can play: Well...I'm working on Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson, and The Extremist by Satriani. I can't really play anything of real hard difficulty straight through, comfortably (<- the key word for me. Sure I can play a ton of songs note-for-note [like some really simple Satch songs, Home, Crush of Love, or a ton of Strokes songs and misc rock songs] but until I can really go crazy with a technique or whatever like it's nothing and make it express the song, then I haven't accomplished much). I think I'll start working on The Crying Machine by Vai when I'm through Cliffs and Extremist - My very long-term goal is Tender Surrender (Vai).
* Biggest crowd youve played in front of: Like...5 people.
* What guitar you have price blah blah: Just some plain black strat copy.
* Influences: Satriani, Satriani, Satriani! Okay, tons more, but they're all over the place. But seriously, Satriani (songwriting, technique, theory...covers so many bases!).
* and anything else you want to add: I really ****ing love theory. Engines of Creation, Lords of Karma, Crystal Planet by Satch? Love em.

Liam Efting
12-31-2006, 02:33 PM
11 Years

Both, I took jazz band for 5 years

Art of Life by X Japan

I didn't count, had to be over 2000 though

Guitars
Ibanez RG7320
Ibanez RG370DX
Hofner Sienna Acoustic Electric
Kramer Strat Copy (I ripped it apart and turned it into a pretty effective noise machine)

Pedalboard
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech DigiDelay
Rocktron Hush

Crate GT1200H Half Stack

* Influences

My influences are John Petrucci, Hideto Matsumoto, Yoshiki, Steve Harris (For his syncopated bass patterns, they make for interesting riff construction), Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Lindsey Buckingham, Stanley Jordan, Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, and of course Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

I'm very proud of my improvising skills, my band is known is create entire songs on the spot on stage, I can play my guitar using only tapping (8 Finger Style of Course, covering both bass, mid and high range notes), I can use my right hand as a capo and play with my left hand using only hammer ons and pull offs to achieve various tapping effects, I'm skilled in arpeggios and sweep picking, and I'm proud to say I have released 2 CDs with bands, and 3 by my lonesome (Including a Trip-Hop/Electronic album, but thats totally different).

I also play piano and drums.

Jimbo999
12-31-2006, 03:21 PM
^Hope I'll be that good when Ive been playing for 11 years!

edg
12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
^well, jerry garcia is one of my favorite guitarists, so i don't mind :)

hehe. ok. Put it up here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7766346#post7766346

Very Dead-ish. Very long. Just practicing some solo ideas over a simple loop.

mburt
12-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Well, I had to play Midnight by Joe Satriani (all tapping) in front of about 300 people (by myself.. ouch). And I played some metallica with my band (I would prefer to play some Jimi or John Mayor stuff) in front of 2000 and got second, battle of the bands - central NFLD.

Seeings that just saying stuff doesn't mean much, I am soon to be getting a mixer board riggy majigger, and when i get it i'll start recording stuff and posting it here somewhere! :)

blue_strat
12-31-2006, 09:42 PM
note that most of the people who are "showing off" have been playing for less than 5 years

Oasis-fanatic
01-01-2007, 09:05 AM
note that most of the people who are "showing off" have been playing for less than 5 years

doesnt matter, its kinda how good you are for the time youve been playing xD

man im just talking shit now right?

flamencogod
01-01-2007, 02:43 PM
whahaha this is great, like 70% of you guys have played for over 1000 people and can play vai/satriani.

The way to hate
01-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Well, with my Guitar, I can sit down & play it properly.

Unlike so many about.

Very well said.

As long as you can do what you feel is good on guitar, and as long as you are doing it right, then you are good in my book.

I also find it hysterical that everyone here is on a professional level after 1 year LMAO. All of you play vai and satch in front of sold out stadiums on a regular basis huh? I guess I'm behind the pack :rolleyes:

Look at it this way..

I can play scales and arpeggios at 150 16th notes (I'm not the fastest, I know)
and
I can write good songs

Which is more important? The songs I write aren't always complex, but I enjoy them. Enjoying what you do on guitar is much more important then being "good."

notoriousnumber
01-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Ive been playing for about 3 years now. Self taught all the way, although sometimes I wish I had a proper teacher to help me, but my older brother is pretty good at doing that.

I suppose that the best thing I can play is "Tender Surrender" by Steve Vai. I can play all of the clean and some of the distortion a-tempo. My favourite song to play though is "Bron-y-aur" by Led Zeppelin (not the country dance one, "bron-yr-aur stomp" ;)).

The biggest crowd Ive played for is my best friend, I havent got on stage at all :mad:

I do not have many or expensive guitars, I have a pretty nice Dean acoustic and a second-hand Hamer. My old second hand guitar I "customized" by sanding it down, dying the wood red and spraying the neck metallic-blue :rolleyes:

Influences include Kirk Hammet and Jimmy Page. The main one thought is probably Steve Vai, hes the one who got me into shred.

Anything else eh? Im a theory-master-in-training :D

Slurgi
01-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I'll go ahead and be devil's advocate a bit like others have done and to add another comment to go against the grain.

Most people who I've met that claim to be able to play a Satch or Vai song can almost never play it well. There's a huge difference between sloppily wanking though a difficult song without a consistent tempo and badly intonated bends and really making the song sound good.

Why not just make music that is pleasing to the ear as opposed to impressive on the eyes? That should be your paramount concern.

metallica2289
01-01-2007, 05:57 PM
This is rather dumb. Anyone can say anything they want in a forum like this.

I prefer just letting my playing do the talking. It's there for the listening at
http://edg.dmusic.com/music/

Either you like it or not. That's up to you.

Yeah, your right. Some kid wrote he was 14 playing for 10 months and could play the extremist and bad horsie. Pretty ridiculous. But I heard your stuff, your pretty good at guitar. I like your improv stuff, better than a lot of other people I have heard on the net. The Lovelight jam is pretty groovy.

Sid McCall
01-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I've been playing bass for two years and guitar for one and a half. I took bass lessons for a few months, then realized there wasn't much more to learn. No guitar lessons, I applied years of piano with my bass knowledge and here I am.

Basically, I am nothing special. At all. I play rhythm mostly, and riff it up a bit sometimes. I love barre chords and the 12-bar blues. I am a simple guy, who has mastered ska and punk. Which is not much of an accomplishment.

Bass wise, I'm pretty good. I don't slap much, but I have mastered ska on bass, which IS an accomplishment. It's all good.

Archeo Avis
01-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Well, I had to play Midnight by Joe Satriani (all tapping) in front of about 300 people (by myself.. ouch). And I played some metallica with my band (I would prefer to play some Jimi or John Mayor stuff) in front of 2000 and got second, battle of the bands - central NFLD.

Seeings that just saying stuff doesn't mean much, I am soon to be getting a mixer board riggy majigger, and when i get it i'll start recording stuff and posting it here somewhere! :)

^Win^

Nemesis260
01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
been playing A year and a month
played in front of about 60 people
my major influences are Carlos Santana,Alex lifeson,Dragonforce,and Trivium
My guitar is worth about $900 now : Ibanez ic400 w/ dimebucker and jazz pickups
the best thing i can play is stairway to heaven all the way through. And im a pretty fluent shredder.(its all about time put into practice)And im pretty good at improvising. I just like playing mostly
im self taught

I think that we all will still be beginners 30 years from now. Because its impossible to learn everything.and you can quote me on that.

happygals
01-01-2007, 07:53 PM
well I am only a beginner been playing like 1 week, lol i'm not that great, lol.
have had no lessons but thinking about it though.
my bro taught me chords A7, A, Am, Em, C, G, D, E
i have got a steelstring acoustic, my bro lets me use his electric.
i am learning palm mutes.
the best song i know on guitar would have to be wonderwall (oasis).
now i am trying to find easy tabs to play.

titopuente
01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
* How long youve been playing- been playing for three and a half years
* Self taught or taught by teacher- was taught initially by the father figure; started teaching myself about 6 months in
* The best things you can play- I can play the vast majority of Cliffs of Dover from Eric Johnson; I can play a lot of Paradigm Shift by Liquid Tension Experiment
* Biggest crowd youve played in front of- about 30 people
* What guitar you have- Ibanez RG170R bought for about $250. Replaced the stock pickups with a Dimarzio PAF Pro(neck) and a Dimarzio Air Zone(bridge). Strung with D'Addario 11's.
* Influences- John Petrucci(Dream Theater, LTE); Adam Jones(Tool); Omar Rodriguez-Lopez(The Mars Volta); Steve Vai; Eric Johnson
* and anything else you want to add- I've got a Fender Twin Reverb(tube) that's older than I am and I've got a Boss GT-8, along with a Vox wah pedal

Made Of Metal
01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
i'll bite:

I've been playing for a little over 4 years i believe. I have had a teacher and taught myself, though I prefer a teacher. The most impressive thing i can play is Blowing in the Wind by Bob Dylan (singing and playing is very difficult). My influences include but are not limited to: Ritchie Blackmore, Ian Anderson, Gary Moore, Scott Gorham, Phil Lynott, Buck Dharma, and John Denver. My guitars are in my sig; I like them. I would only add that I think I can improvise pretty well and I love to noodle. Guitars are neat-o!

EDIT: largest crowd was about 6 people at Sam Ash :rolleyes:

talentsix
01-01-2007, 08:21 PM
* How long youve been playing - 6 Months
* Self taught or taught by teacher - Self Taught
* The best things you can play - Moby Dick(Led Zep) Get Up and Jump(RHCP) Hysteria(Muse)
* Biggest crowd youve played in front of - 1,000 (Played on the school TV show and we have just over 1,00 kids in our school.)
* What guitar you have price blah blah - Fender Active Delux Jazz Bass $590
* Influences -blink-182 - sum 41 - rhcp - the who - the beatles
* and anything else you want to add - i play bass if you couldn't figure it out

rrp6119
01-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I've been playing for about 5 1/2 years now. I've played in front of about 500 people before, but not with my band. I used to do a lot of guitar work for school. I have an American Fender Strat Deluxe, 95 Charvel San Dimas Standard, and an Epiphone Goth LP that I modified with a Gibson burstbucker at the bridge. I'm not really into playing other people's music. I prefer to write my own now. When I first started playing, I played a lot of Creed, Deftones, Powerman 5000, Metallica, Ozzy, etc... I enjoy jamming with a Nine Inch Nails song here and there, but other than that, I write my own. I'm a fan of alternate picking and the ebow. If you give me a riff, I can play with it for hours just adding to it, modifying it and writing solos over top. I also love coming up with new riffs as well. As for song clips, I have the link to my band's myspace. I played bass and guitar in each song, in fact I wrote all the recorded versions on the site. About once a year in the summer, I usually take lessons for about two weeks, but other than that, I taught myself most of what I know. I'm also the singer for my band too.

http://www.myspace.com/noizetanx

Archeo Avis
01-01-2007, 09:02 PM
How long youve been playing - A little over 5 years

Self taught or taught by teacher - I've never had a teacher, but I'm reluctant to say I'm self taught, since I've sought help from countless sources.

The best things you can play - Malmsteen's Arpeggios from Hell fairly fluently/John Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss (minus the solo, which I improvise) Lately I've been moving away from that type of music, I'm content to sit and jam along to Satriani's Starry Night and other, slower, songs.
Biggest crowd youve played in front of - A group of five or six people. I don't get out much.
What guitar you have price blah blah - Ibanez S470DXQM ---> Digitech Bad Monkey (replaced my tube screamer) --->Boss DD-6 (which I use in place of reverb) ---> Traynor YCV50

Influences - Long section...(in chronological order)

Head and Munky: Made me want to pick up the guitar. Korn's music may not be technically proficient, but their eerie melodies and almost nursery rhyme-esque style of playing is still probably the single biggest influence on my songwriting.

Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield: Introduced me to the guitar solo with Nothing else Matter. Before hearing them I despised solos (I thought they were nothing more than guitar masturbation), but the solo fit the song so perfectly and was such a beautiful melody that I couldn't help but change my mind (I still consider it to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, solo ever written) I spent the next two or so years listening to and playing nothing but Metallica. I managed to learn just about every solo off of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, as well as One and To Live is to Die from ...and Justice to All.

Yngwie Malmsteen: I was obsessed with shredding at this point and I heard his name mentioned on a forum I used to visit, so I had someone forward me Far Beyond the Sun and it was the most spectacular thing I'd ever heard. I attribute most of my technical proficiency to the hours I spent practicing Malmsteen's songs. I also modeled my vibrato after his and gained a (short lived) interest in classical guitar.

Steve Vai: Started listening to his music after hearing I Know You're Here at the G3 with Satriani and Malmsteen. I then went out and bough Alien Love Secrets, and overnight my entire playing style shifted. The one thing I really admired about his playing was the way he made the lydian mode sound nostalgic and sad without sounding "dark"

Shawn Lane: Three words...Gray Pianos Flying. When I first heard Lane, I literally didn't think is was physiologically possible to play like he did. Shawn can inject these incredibly fast and complex scale runs into his music that involve (probably literally) more notes in ten seconds and some songs fit into three minutes, but the way he plays them it doesn't sound fast at all, because it fits the song so perfectly.

Joe Satriani: I despised his music at first...it just sounded like noise to me (probably because there's nothing like it out there. It's like hearing the melodic minor scale for the first time, it just sounds wrong) Somewhere along the line, I became (and still am) obsessed with his music, and I still can't stop listening to it. By the time I started listening to him, I was fairly comfortable with my level of technical ability, and I started playing songs like Starry Night and Cryin' to try to develop better phrasing.

Stranger sources:

Rammstein: Not the guitars, but Till Lindemann's vocals. He conveys more emotion with his voice than almost any other singer I've ever heard, and certainly more than most guitarists. Even if you can't understand the lyrics, you know exactly what he wants you to feel when you listen to him sing, which is exactly what instrumental guitarists should strive for, becaue there are no lyrics.

Video games: Along with Head and Munky; the single biggest influence on my songwriting. Video game music, particularly that of the Final Fantasy series and other pieces written by Nobuo Uematsu, is so unorthodox that is forces you to completely re-evaluate the way you approach songwriting. These composers can take a single arpeggio and expand it to write an entire song, and it sounds good.

Ranxston
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
* How long youve been playing: A little over 2 months now.
* Self taught or taught by teacher: I took eight 30min classes to learn more on notation and have the right technique.
* The best things you can play: Mostly punk rock stuff and video game theme songs.
* Biggest crowd youve played in front of: Well I never played in front of a crowd, but I did sing a song with a friend band in front of 150 people.
* What guitar you have and price: I bought a cheap Jay Turser bass for 350$ and it came with a 10w Ibanez amp, a good cable, guitar strap, tuner and bag.
* Influences: Victor Wooten, Matt Freeman (Rancid), Flea (RHCP), Rick Casualty (The Casualties)
* and anything else you want to add: I always wanted to play guitar, but I needed money and where I used to live there weren't really any music shops. I lived in a real hole, the closest store where I could get stuff I needed like CDs, movies or any electronic was a one hour and half drive. Still guitar was always a dream for me and once I arrived here the first thing I wanted to do is go out and buy a guitar. I didn't really know what to get at first so I took a little over a year and decided to go with a bass because its a different technique and I want to be different because everyone wants to play electric guitar. I haven't been playing for long, but I bet I did more progress than most of the play bass in less time.

edg
01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Head and Munky: Made me want to pick up the guitar. Korn's music may not be technically proficient, but their eerie melodies and almost nursery rhyme-esque style of playing is still probably the single biggest influence on my songwriting.

Man, I LOVE Korn! Although I think they peaked with Issues which is a masterpiece,
they are still my current favorite band.

The odd thing is, I never play or really want to play anything in thier style.

CowboyUp
01-02-2007, 01:39 PM
* How long youve been playing: 2 years

* Self taught or taught by teacher: Self taught (Of that I'm not proud)

* The best things you can play: Surfing with the Alien :cool: Took me a month or so but I finally got the whole thing down.

* Biggest crowd youve played in front of: Heh, like 4

* What guitar you have and price: I have an Ibanez RG321, and I spent about 300$ on it.

* Influences: Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman, Various metal bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax

* and anything else you want to add: I listen to alot of metal and am influenced by it's players, but I am more of a general guitar player. My main influence is Satriani, and I like to think that my style of playing is similar to his. Not really "rock'n'roll", not really anything, just writing melodies and songs that I enjoy playing and hearing, be they rock, blues, metal, whatever.

I wish I could have gotten a teacher when I first started to help me get rid of bad habits. I didn't start using my pinky or alternate picking until like January of this year, and that could have been avoided if I'd pulled my head out of my ass and gotten a teacher.

Freepower
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM

3 Years.

* Self taught or taught by teacher.

Both.

A lovely whole tone bend from a A to a B on intro to "The Glass Prison", it sounds amazingly kick ass. Or legato 10s at like, 1000bpm.

About 300 musicians, including practically the entire staff of Guitar Techniques magazine, Bill Odie, and a seriously gorgeous girl in the front row who had a good sense of humour.

A shitty starter guitar. 150 quid.

* Influences

Muse, Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai, Meshuggah, The Prodigy, The Berzerker, The Deftones, Korn, Romantic classical music, Indian and Chinese traditional.

Listen to my music, you complete shower of bastards. Thanks.

ED: Man, I LOVE Korn! Although I think they peaked with Issues which is a masterpiece,
they are still my current favorite band.

Pah, give me Life is Peachy or the self titled one. Cool to see that both of us dig Korn, despite being muso technique freaks. :p:

I don't play Korn style stuff much, but there's certainly a lot of uberdeep riffing i do that stems from that stuff.

edg
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Pah, give me Life is Peachy or the self titled one. Cool to see that both of us dig Korn, despite being muso technique freaks. :p:

I don't play Korn style stuff much, but there's certainly a lot of uberdeep riffing i do that stems from that stuff.

Ha. No, I really think Issues is where they're running on all cylinders. But, of the
first four LPs I really couldn't pick a favorite. After that, though, hm ... they lost
me on the more recent stuff.

psychodelia
01-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Four years, bass for five. Guitar is my main instrument, however.

Both.

I like playing Air on the G String by Bach.

Hmm, maybe 200-300? My biggest crowd for a paid gig has been about 100 people.

Schecter C series, semi-hollow. About $600.

* Influences

For guitar playing: Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen.

In general: David Bowie, Neil Young, King Crimson, Genesis, Mike Oldfield.

If you want to listen to any of my stuff, there is the link in my sig, or my dmusic at http://acidpink.dmusic.com

cody733
01-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I've been playing for just over 3 years but I can out-play most people who've been playing over twice that. Self-taught all the way!

I'm best at improv and stuff like that. I can shred like a mofo and actually have it sound half decent and clean but I don't like to.

I've played tons of shows, on average about 500 people/show but I've played up to 1000 at a time. The largest crowd being a show with Social Code, and still a decent one when we played with the Black Maria. No jokes, small venue.

I've got a Schecter C-1 which cost me just under $1000 CAD, an Art & Lutherie Wild Cherry CW Acoustic and my first guitar, a Squier Bullet in orange w/ one humbucker haha. It's a total POS

Influences for me; pretty much anything that makes me stop and go "holy sh*t." I love Alexisonfire's first and second albums though, they have really different guitar work from most guitar-driven bands.

Also, even though my band is breaking up check us out @ http://www.myspace.com/deadpoolhardcore

And check out my new band @ http://www.myspace.com/sharkedup

VR2005
01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
How Long have you been playing? - About 3 and 1/2 years and about a year for jazz.

Self taught or taught by teacher? - Both

The best things you can play? - I don't really know "Cherokee" the jazz standard and improvise on it.

Biggest crowd you've ever played for? - Around 900 at school for both jazz band and in 8th grade playing Stairway to Heaven :p:

What guitar do you have? *sigh* Epiphone Les Paul $500, hopefully a jazz box soon.

Influences?- Derek Trucks, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Thelonious Monk, Son House, Taj Mahal, Tinsley Ellis, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Wynton Kelly, and basically any other jazz person alive or dead.

Anything else? - Well I just saw Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi on New Years Eve, which was beyond amazing, also Tinsley Ellis came on as a suprise guest to play "Key to the Highway" :eek: It was the best night of my life so far.

Archeo Avis
01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Ha. No, I really think Issues is where they're running on all cylinders. But, of the
first four LPs I really couldn't pick a favorite. After that, though, hm ... they lost
me on the more recent stuff.

Agreed. Issues was the height of their "nursery rhyme creepiness", and by far their best album. But I don;t really think you can compare it to something like Life is Peachy...they're basically entirely different genre's.

The way to hate
01-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I've been playing bass for two years and guitar for one and a half. I took bass lessons for a few months, then realized there wasn't much more to learn. No guitar lessons, I applied years of piano with my bass knowledge and here I am.

Basically, I am nothing special. At all. I play rhythm mostly, and riff it up a bit sometimes. I love barre chords and the 12-bar blues. I am a simple guy, who has mastered ska and punk. Which is not much of an accomplishment.

Bass wise, I'm pretty good. I don't slap much, but I have mastered ska on bass, which IS an accomplishment. It's all good.

You've mastered genres? Wow, you're the first to ever do that. Oh, wait, you haven't.

Oh and I laughed at the first thing. After a few months of lessons there wasn't much to learn.

Archeo Avis
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I took bass lessons for a few months, then realized there wasn't much more to learn.

*grabs Billy Sheehan's arm*

Yeah...guess what this guy just said!

Oasis-fanatic
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
I'll go ahead and be devil's advocate a bit like others have done and to add another comment to go against the grain.

Most people who I've met that claim to be able to play a Satch or Vai song can almost never play it well. There's a huge difference between sloppily wanking though a difficult song without a consistent tempo and badly intonated bends and really making the song sound good.

Why not just make music that is pleasing to the ear as opposed to impressive on the eyes? That should be your paramount concern.

+1

this thread is dumb now xD

Dieing-python
01-03-2007, 04:17 PM
* Influences

1. 1yr and 10 months
2. Self taught
3. Erotomania-Dream theater, 24th caprice-nicolo paganini, and opeth songs:D
4. Havent exactly played live yet but i am this month:)
5. Carvin ct6m- around $1300-well i cant remember lol
6. Dream theater, opeth, mastodon, Nevermore, megadeth, robben ford, solomon burke, nicolo paganini, the beatles, lamb of god, maiden, necrophagist, symphony x.
7. I have a fender special green edition hot rod, and a boss gt8

zeddenia
01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
How Long have you been playing?
Played for a few months about 8 years ago...started playin again about a year and a half ago.

Self taught or taught by teacher? - Lessons for the first few months I played 8 years ago. Self taught now. My lack of bad habits is due to the great guidance I received from my early teacher though.

The best things you can play? -
Probably a toss up between "Fur Elise," "Your Hand In Mine" (Explosions in the Sky...all parts) and "Moonshine" (Jack Johnson et. al., instrumental...all parts.)

Biggest crowd you've ever played for? -
Around 40 at a karaoke bar one time singing Breakfast at Tiffany's. Poor decision on the alcohol's part.

What guitar do you have?
Fender FG730 and an old Alvarez Regent that's busted up

Influences?-
SRV, the guys in Explosions in the Sky, Elliott Smith, Pavement licks, Prince, Robert Johnson

Anything else?
Out of town and haven't played my guitar in 3 weeks and I'm about to stab some one :devil:

Killsocket
04-04-2012, 11:56 PM
3 months and the best thing I can do is tune it.

Killsocket
04-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Holy crap this is an old thread. I forgot I searched something and blindly replied.

AWACS
04-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Hey mods, can we lock this thread please?