Procol Harum? What are you favorite songs/albums?

PDA

View Full Version : Procol Harum? What are you favorite songs/albums?

That_Pink_Queen
12-30-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm just getting into these guys. What album should I get next? Right now I've got '68's "Shine On Brightly."

:cheers:

timmEH
12-30-2006, 09:48 PM
my favourite song has to be a whiter shade of pale OR grand hotel...its a toss up

rollingstones
12-30-2006, 09:51 PM
whiter shade of pale

igotabcrich32
12-30-2006, 10:38 PM
White Shade Of Pale is really good.

TheHeartbreaker
12-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Get their debut album. It's pretty good. :)

Procol Harum isn't my favorite band. At first I really did not like them, but they started to grow on me a few months ago.

I've always been a fan of Robin Trower, but I felt that, overall, he never got to display his talents to their full potential in his time with the band.

However, I feel that he wasn't very professional with them in the way he acted.

Cptbeefheart
12-31-2006, 01:56 AM
I have Shine on Brightly on vinyl. It was just ok to me. Does their other stuff sound like this record?

lexhibit
12-31-2006, 02:08 AM
I'm just getting into these guys. What album should I get next? Right now I've got '68's "Shine On Brightly."

:cheers:
Wow, cool group, I have mostly all of their stuff....
My favorite Procol albums are Exotic Birds and Fruit, A Salty Dog, Home, and Grand Hotel. For songs, Bringing Home the Bacon, Whaling Stories, The Thin End of the Wedge, Beyond the Pale, The Idol and Robin Trowers Whiskey Train are my favorites.

Calum_Barrow
12-31-2006, 01:14 PM
I really want to listen to more of their stuff too. I've only got "Whiter Shade of Pale" (naturally), but I would like to listen to some more.

heartbreaker101
12-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Simple Sister is an awesome song with some sweet guitar playing

get-born
01-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I have more of their stuff on vinyl then CD. I like them a lot, Trower is awesome, and the a good, solid band.

TheHeartbreaker
01-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I love how unique they are in sound.

They are very similar to The Moody Blues, actually. Classical-Rock, if you will. :)

lexhibit
01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Very unique that Keith Reid was a member of the band as a Lyricist for the group, so the words were usually good because that was his specialty. Their sound was the molding of 2 keyboardists, Piano played by Gary Brooker and the Hammond organ playing of Matt Fisher or Chris Copping and they always had a killer guitarist, notably Robin Trower and Mick Grabham. THey also had one of the most underrated "Keith Moon style" drummers ever, the late B.J. Wilson

TheHeartbreaker
01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Mmm, B.J. Wilson. :)

blacklabelsdmf
01-01-2007, 11:31 PM
one of the reasons i got a Hammond B3 was because of Procol Harum. learned Conquisador and Whiter Shade of Pale. also for fun, check out Black Label Society's cover of Whiter Shade of Pale

http://www.song2play.com/b/black_label_society-169/hangover_music_vol_vi-1034/whiter_shade_of_pale-13842.html

TheHeartbreaker
01-02-2007, 07:14 PM
That wasn't too bad of a cover. I liked it, but not as much as the original.

I listened to their debut album in full (with Bonus Tracks :D ) today for the first time in a while, and enjoyed it.

Cerdes (Outside the Gates Of) is definitely my favorite song.

ECwomantoneman
01-06-2007, 10:20 AM
".....I've always been a fan of Robin Trower....."

RIGHT ON!!! :D

Derigiberble
01-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Robin Trower was probably the worst member of Procal Harum. He was just so full of himself that it resulted in the band's split.

lexhibit
01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Robin Trower was probably the worst member of Procal Harum. He was just so full of himself that it resulted in the band's split.
This may be true, but his leaving didn't split the band up...They made 5 more good albums in the 70's after Trower with Mick Graham as the lead guitarist.

TearoA
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Favorite album has to be "Procol's Ninth" because of songs like Pandora's Box, Fool's Gold and I Keep Forgetting.
Also great: Whiskey Train and Long Gone Geek

lexhibit
01-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Favorite album has to be "Procol's Ninth" because of songs like Pandora's Box, Fool's Gold and I Keep Forgetting.
Also great: Whiskey Train and Long Gone Geek
Procol's Ninth is very good.
I like "Exotic Birds and Fruit" and "Grand Hotel" also, and "Home" with Whiskey Train.

fronkpies
01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Favorite song, well it has to be the classic, whiter shade of pale.

WHO-ligan!
01-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I must be way out of the loop on these guys... I thought they were just one-hit wonders with "Whiter Shade of Pale".

lexhibit
01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I must be way out of the loop on these guys... I thought they were just one-hit wonders with "Whiter Shade of Pale".
If your a who fan you have to check out their stuff for BJ Wilsons drumming alone, he has a style similar to Keith Moon and unfortunately died young like Keith from alcohol abuse. WSOP is great but thats only one song. They recorded 10 albums and they're all really good.

WHO-ligan!
01-06-2007, 08:24 PM
If your a who fan you have to check out their stuff for BJ Wilsons drumming alone, he has a style similar to Keith Moon and unfortunately died young like Keith from alcohol abuse. WSOP is great but thats only one song. They recorded 10 albums and they're all really good.
I have to check out all of it now, I'm curious!

lexhibit
01-06-2007, 08:29 PM
I have to check out all of it now, I'm curious!
Here's a quick way to own the first four albums.
http://www.amazon.com/First-Four-Procol-Harum/dp/B00009Q039/sr=1-18/qid=1168129687/ref=sr_1_18/104-8094251-3821538?ie=UTF8&s=music

Derigiberble
01-07-2007, 09:01 AM
This may be true, but his leaving didn't split the band up...They made 5 more good albums in the 70's after Trower with Mick Graham as the lead guitarist.

Yes which furthur proves my point that Trower was by no means the heart and soul of the band.

mattreid222
01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
yah great band + Keith Reid is my great uncle !

TheHeartbreaker
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM

He was definitely a terrible band member, but also a great guitarist.

lexhibit
01-07-2007, 08:58 PM
yah great band + Keith Reid is my great uncle !

Wow! I love Keith Reids work.
How does your great uncle feel about Matt Fishers recent court case victory over 1/3 of the rights to White shade of pale. I'm curious why Fisher suddenly want rights for the song after 40 years of silence.

mattreid222
01-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow! I love Keith Reids work.
How does your great uncle feel about Matt Fishers recent court case victory over 1/3 of the rights to White shade of pale. I'm curious why Fisher suddenly want rights for the song after 40 years of silence.

He still doesn't know exactly how the roylaties are going to be split, my dad says that he sounds sort of depressed over the phone though so he probably hasn't taken it all to well

lexhibit
01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
He still doesn't know exactly how the roylaties are going to be split, my dad says that he sounds sort of depressed over the phone though so he probably hasn't taken it all to well
Thanks for the reply, I wish Keith Reid was more respected and known in the states He is a staggeringly great lyric writer to this day. . He is the English Bob Dylan. I mean that as the highest possible compliment.

therussian
06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Sorry for the massive grave dig (I know I'd be bitched at for making a new one), but damn, Procol Harum is one of the best underrated bands ever. My friend introduced me to them a few months ago, and I love 'em

Probably one of my favourite lyrics ever:

"He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'"

Mind blowing.

I also love "Repent Walpurgis" and "Conquistador" (though the way he pronounces it kind of annoys me)

get-born
06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm DL-ing Shine on Brightly as we speak, Ill fill y'all in on what I think after I get a good listen in...

LeDaemon
06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I really like the song "Salty Dog."