Siamese Dream

PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Dream

Mcassidy42
12-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey, I wasn't sure which board to post this on, but anyways, I am becomming frusterated that Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins is as under-rated as it is. In my opion it has the best guitar work of the 90s, and is one of my all-time favorite albums, I mean I could find absolutly no holes to poke in this album, every minute of it I love, but this could just be me, what do you guys think?

musiclover2399
12-31-2006, 12:07 AM
It's simply amazing. Also I saw your thread in the electric guitar forum and was hoping you'd see I JUST revived the smashing pumpkins thread in the modern rock forum but I looked here and damn it. Kickass avatar man.

DorkusMalorkus
12-31-2006, 04:38 AM
Yeah, that is an amazing album. I think this thread is acceptable here, but there are Smashing Pumpkins threads in Modern Rock.

Mcassidy42
12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Okay, I was just wondering if I was the only who thought this album was amazing. And yes Blastoise is the mightiest of starting charectars in the first 2 Pokeman games lol.

Patches McGee
12-31-2006, 05:08 PM
And yes Blastoise is the mightiest of starting charectars in the first 2 Pokeman games lol.

Goddamn right he is.

Though I've always been quite partial to Charizard.

But I do agree with you on Siamese Dream. Geek USA alone makes it some of the best guitar work of the 90's.

pumpkins_rule
12-31-2006, 10:47 PM
But I do agree with you on Siamese Dream. Geek USA alone makes it some of the best guitar work of the 90's.

+1

And don't for get Silver****.

Personally I like the tone of the guitars. They're all so distorted and grimy. Come to think of it that's probably my favourite thing about the band, the kickass effects and tone they always have. Well at least on SD and MCIS.

Mcassidy42
01-02-2007, 04:23 PM
The only reason I can think of that this albums guitar work is under-rated is because it's all basically just plain Minor Pentatonic shapes, but damn it sounds good, and thats all that should matter.

Abe
01-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Easily the best Pumpkins album, great from start to finish. One of my 3 (off the top of my head) favourite 90's albums alongside The Bends and Defintely Maybe.

musiclover2399
01-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I believe that THICK (and I MEAN it, THICK!) guitar sound comes from a big muff+putting multiple tracks of the same thing over eachother. THICK! I was amazed that Soma has 40 guitar tracks.

WhereArtEsteban
01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Soma is my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song.

Mcassidy42
01-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I believe that THICK (and I MEAN it, THICK!) guitar sound comes from a big muff+putting multiple tracks of the same thing over eachother. THICK! I was amazed that Soma has 40 guitar tracks.

Thats enteresting.

The strange thing is, is that most critic reviews say that Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness is a more epic and better all around album, which I totally disagree, I have no enterest in that album, it's kind of weird, but I just don't care for it.

uhh_me?
01-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Thats enteresting.

The strange thing is, is that most critic reviews say that Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness is a more epic and better all around album, which I totally disagree, I have no enterest in that album, it's kind of weird, but I just don't care for it.
what? you don't care for MCIS? you crazy...

DorkusMalorkus
01-04-2007, 01:12 AM
what? you don't care for MCIS? you crazy...
I prefer Pisces Iscariot. But Mellon Collie is good.

Mcassidy42
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't understand it either, maybe I just havn't given it enough listens, but the first one seemed mediocre, aside from some nuggets, but 2nd and 3rd listens often reveal a lot, and Pumpkins albums always tend to have deep, layerd tracks. I'll give it another listen.

musiclover2399
01-05-2007, 02:20 AM
You should! It's the wall of the X generation as corgan put it. MCIS and Machina II are my favorites. I also like Pisces Iscariot quite a lot but it's a b sides cd of gish/siamese dream songs so it feels weird sometimes calling it a cd. The MCIS b side counterpart The aeroplane flies high is truly awesome as well.

I'm so happy to hear the news on the main page! New cd+world tour? :headbang:

I would love to have James back but it'll be ok still no matter what. Plus Siamese Dream is basically Billy's album.

Mcassidy42
01-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I thought Corgan said that MCIS was meant to be the Wall of the 90s, but failed misirably, that's what it says in one of my Pink Floyd books.

Geek UK
01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Siamese Dream is f*cking immense. I prefer Mellon Collie myself but Siamese Dream is just as good really. The only reason I prefer MCIS is because I feel the softer songs are better, but the rock songs on SD are just as good/better as MCIS. And tbh, there's no Mayonaise or Soma on Mellon Collie.

ź├Fire¤nside╗
01-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Love Mayonaise to death. The whole album is just spectacular though. Sometimes when flipping through my Ipod I pick a song from Siamese Dream to listen to but end up listening to the whole album because all the songs are just that good.

musiclover2399
01-06-2007, 01:34 AM
I thought Corgan said that MCIS was meant to be the Wall of the 90s, but failed misirably, that's what it says in one of my Pink Floyd books.
Did Corgan say it failed? If not someone was just being a rough critic. They were huge after MCIS, they were on the Simpsons for like an entire episode for Christ's sake! Corgan can be both conceited and rough on himself, more the latter I think as people bame him for the breakup but believe things were just falling apart by themselves. Obviously not between him and Jimmy though as they made Zwan and helped eachother a lot.

Though Anthony Kiedis did say when the peppers toured with the pumpkins that while they were all different and interesting individual people, the band was clearly under Billy's thumb.

perko
01-06-2007, 05:46 AM
up there in the top 5 best albums of the 90s for sure, great guitar, great songwriting, great variety, overall crazy mofo album

Mcassidy42
01-07-2007, 03:08 AM
Did Corgan say it failed? If not someone was just being a rough critic. They were huge after MCIS, they were on the Simpsons for like an entire episode for Christ's sake! Corgan can be both conceited and rough on himself, more the latter I think as people bame him for the breakup but believe things were just falling apart by themselves. Obviously not between him and Jimmy though as they made Zwan and helped eachother a lot.

Though Anthony Kiedis did say when the peppers toured with the pumpkins that while they were all different and interesting individual people, the band was clearly under Billy's thumb.

No, it was a quote from Corgan himself, I don't really understand what he means, because as you said, this album was a massive succsess, and i have started listening to it more, and it is damn good.

musiclover2399
01-07-2007, 03:27 AM
It is, plus I creamed myself when I found out there's like 20 demos and b sides for it. MCIS FTW!

I guess Corgan is just more modest than we think, despite his awesome song writing ability. I got his poetry book, it's awesome. He's been writing a book too and I am not missing his book signing the second time around.

Axilla
03-07-2007, 12:49 AM
GREAT ALBUM.....great concepts, sounds, tones, lyrics, dynamics,.....and anyhthing else thats musical.....

meltinjohn
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
This is the best Smashing Pumpkins work ever. They just became totally overrated tho once 1996 began. Some stuff was ok, but highly overrated. Siamese dream tho, it sounded just as good as much of the other mainstream rock did on 1992 tho. That should go down as their classic seeing they were quite overrated after that.

matplat
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
def my fav album ever, just check their website, new album's out 07/07/07 but couldnt see who was in the band. and no north american tour dates announced. all spain, germany and italy. saw some good shows on the site that say theyll be with pearl jam and incubus too

brantlymurphy
03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Soma, Geek USA...........Best SP album

Fugazirancid
03-08-2007, 07:23 PM
The only two confirmed members are Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain, iirc. This is fine with me -- the other guitars and bass, from what I've heard, were often recorded by Corgan anyway.

musiclover2399
03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm sort of expecting/hoping for James to be in but still, as Melissa said, The smashing pumpkins heart is Billy. No matter what I'm sure it'll be great.

Besides, Corgan doing most of the work, 100 guitars deep, might this be siamese dream 2 in the works? :)