Bass Finger Picking Speed/Stamina

PDA

View Full Version : Bass Finger Picking Speed/Stamina

fleabass88
12-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi

For a while now ive wanted to play songs like Stockholme Syndrome by Muse, C'mon Girl and I Feel Love by the Chili's but im having trouble playing at that speed and maintaining it for the whole song!!

I dont wanna use a pick coz i see that as cheating

(not that i dont use a pick i actually do but not for the songs that dont use one!!)

Anyway i was just wonderin if anyone had any tips or exercises to help me out

your advice is appreciated lol. ;)

Greenday389
12-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Loosen up and don't get tense or else you will just slow down. Try playing the songs at a slower tempo and then start speeding it up as your stanima and speed get better.

jazz_rock_feel
12-30-2006, 11:52 PM
^ Perfect answer 10/10. :golfclap: Just keep practicing don't give up I'm in the same place as you are on Scars by Rush and sadly I've been distracted by tell me baby but I will learn one day I will

mountaindew88
12-31-2006, 01:22 AM
yeah. it all comes with time and practice. You don't notice it developing but it really is. Yeah and tell me baby has a sweet part. The only parts on the album I bothered to learn were that bass part and the guitar and drums on Snow (Hey Oh). In fact, I think I'm gonna get back into that album and learn a few more......

crazypeanutman
12-31-2006, 02:21 AM
the best way to build stamina in anything is by doing it. play a simple song really fast, or hell, just play a scale really fast. maybe even just pump an open string fast and try and tire out your fingers.

Applehead
12-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Try not to attack the strings so hard. Your muscles are fatigued. Ease back on the attack and you will be able to get through it after some practice.

fleabass88
12-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Cheers for the advice guys!!!

Keep it comin!! lol

Pysmone
12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
It can't hurt either, while you want to have your fingers fast enough to play it, to "pick" with your fingers. Your pluck the string back and forth like a guitar, but just use your pointer finger to strike it. Hard to explain.

crazypeanutman
12-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Try not to attack the strings so hard. Your muscles are fatigued. Ease back on the attack and you will be able to get through it after some practice.

true, the more relaxed your hand and fingers are the better you will play. this takes a while, to be firm yet relaxed. you'll be more comfortable the more you play, dont try and rush it, you'll develope technique flaws that can be hard to correct.

harl91
12-31-2006, 07:35 PM
the best way to build stamina in anything is by doing it. play a simple song really fast, or hell, just play a scale really fast. maybe even just pump an open string fast and try and tire out your fingers.

thats how i gained my speed, i just practiced scales, slowly getting faster and faster. Use a metronome to stay in time, and you'll be on a great start.

thats something i need to work on, i attack the strings WAY too hard. faster does not meen harder.

Greenday389
12-31-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't think attacking strings is that bad. I attack my strings harder when I want that *HAAAAAAAAA* kind of heavy sound attack. It just sounds more intense.

Confused4930
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Stockholm Syndrome is an amazing song...my band is gonna cover it at some point, so I'll try and post the recording.

As for the topic, just keep practicing..you'll pick up speed and stamina as you go along.

MustangMan311
01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
My house (or myself) is generally fairly chilly, so I find that running my hands under warm to scalding hot water for about thirty seconds or so and doing finger motions helps. Loosens me up. :)

crckhead654
01-02-2007, 12:59 AM
yeah, i definitely make sure both my hands and fingers are warm, sometimes i also stretch my wrists and fingers too.

DiabloCoche
01-02-2007, 03:01 AM
try sliding over the top of the strings first at a slow temp and then reallying hitting them hard and fast

/ few day process

diamondbakk666
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
learn some iron maiden. i learned all of edward the great and my speed improved greatly

indie-bassist
01-05-2007, 09:22 AM
learn some iron maiden. i learned all of edward the great and my speed improved greatly
x2, definitely a good way to gain stamina and its a good album

MLmaster37
01-05-2007, 05:43 PM
or some slayer is good to learn for stamina. as good as they are, their bass riffs are really boring, but fast, so you will have better speed.

Confused4930
01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Another option is to listen to the drums and work out a rhythm that would be easier to do that straight 16th notes....although some people may call this cheating

Felkara
01-05-2007, 09:40 PM

I had that problem when I was starting out playing fast songs with my fingers (as in from day 1, I'm a very backwards player). I made it worse by have a very high attack - it got me a really punchy sound which sounded like I was using a pick but with a very warm Midsy tone which I really liked. But yes, I wouldn't recommend a high attack when starting out - it will really fatigue yoru fingers, so I'm seconding what Apple says.