the revival of folk.....

PDA

View Full Version : the revival of folk.....

oak
01-02-2007, 04:47 PM
is folk coming back as a major scene or influence?.... lately I've been wondering if folk is really starting to reach popularity in the mainstream circles..... bands like; Bright Eyes, Iron and Wine, Devendra Banhart and Sufjan Stevens are kind of "folky" in a sense, at least I think so, and they all seem to make quite a lot of money....... what do you think?

doctor_rocker
01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
I think it's decently well-known that there is a neo-folk movement going on. I guess Iron and Wine and Sufjan are kind of the standard-bearers.

DorkusMalorkus
01-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Joanna Newsom and Animal Collective (more freak-folk though, as I call it) are both amazing.

Encore_God
01-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Britain has a great new crop of Folk-influenced artists coming through.

LKW
01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah there have been a number of folk oriented musicians in the limelight lately.

It's not mainstream enough to be known by many people who normally never listen to that general area of music though. Now that it got connected to the "indie" scene in the past few years, it's logic that more people get in touch with it. But it's not like the Chili Peppers, where everybody with ears has heard their latest single. People like Sufjan Stevens receive tons of critical acclaim and sell pretty well, but get very little airplay on large popular FM radio stations or MTV.

It's a kind of sub-mainstream that seems to thrive mostly on word of mouth and attention from the mainstream music press. Most of these artists named here are releasing albums on tiny little labels with names like Rubber Ducky Records or some shit like that, even though they're selling nicely. I'm not sure if the major labels are starting to get interested yet... it's probably better if they don't.

STRAT811
01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
I love it.

AWA
01-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Devandra Banhart ftw!

uhh_me?
01-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Joanna Newsom and Animal Collective (more freak-folk though, as I call it) are both amazing.
I prefer New Weird America, even though some artists in it are not American...

phantom1
01-03-2007, 07:56 AM
yeah ^new weird america; yay for cocorosie!

Andrewbiles
01-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Like someone said, its kind of sub-mainstream at the moment, its not like the revival in the 60s, but its generally not the same kind of stuff as the 60s. People are taking more influences now and trying to mix it up, quite a growing scene of indie-tronica and stuff like that.

StuartR
01-03-2007, 10:54 AM
There's been a lot of it used in places like adverts.

I think it's decently well-known that there is a neo-folk movement going on. I guess Iron and Wine and Sufjan are kind of the standard-bearers.

That stuff isn't neo-folk though, neo-folk is different.

oak
01-03-2007, 02:48 PM
but now if bands like bright eyes do go mainstream and they go under the label as a "folk/indie/rock" band wont folk music become even more popular on a big level, just as how the thing with indie and how that classification is becoming more and more "appreciated".....

robbie
01-03-2007, 04:41 PM
A lot of bands are now taking roots in folk, but they are modernising it. I quite like what bands like Larrikin Love do with either traditional folk songs, or traditional folk-style songs of their own crafting. Its not a wholly new phenomenon though, because bands like Dropkick Murphys have been doing their own versions of traditional folk songs for a while.

Andrewbiles
01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
^ Yeah, its never exactly been dead, Billy Bragg for example has been putting out records with quite success for a couple of decades.

robbie
01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
It's kinda odd, my experience of Billy Bragg. I've known the name for a long time without ever hearing a song. He seems to be one of those people who is just there and you're conscious of them, but you never notice them, if you see what I mean. At least, that's how it has been for me. Then I heard the Jamie T cover of 'A New England'; that was my first Billy Bragg experience. Odd that.

On the folk note, there is a band about called Bellowhead, who do mainly traditional folk songs and shanties and the like, but again in an updated style. Anyone heard of them at all, except me? They do a song called 'London Town' which is really good.

oak
01-04-2007, 08:03 AM
isn't London Town a name of a paul mccartney song?

robbie
01-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, but they are different songs.

Otakutheiii
01-06-2007, 07:12 PM
I live where the whole Freak Folk/Folk Punk movement is kinda based(SF Bay area), and I know that not very many people want it to be considered as a main movement.

ROWYCO
01-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Isn't modernizing folk, more of a change in the genre itslef. I mean rock evolved with the times, splitting into '80s rock, poop-rock, 90's alt rock, and now the millen indie rock. Folk has been pretty the same, i gess, fo a while. Now that people describe a change occouring, i think that a new brand of folk will erupt, at least, i hope so. a thin line, a string line course.

andrew7667
01-08-2007, 01:49 AM
There's quite a few artists out there with folk influences that are getting pretty widespread. Damien Rice is the one that comes to my mind.

Leo_Watkins
12-25-2007, 07:32 PM
I dont know how 2 quote other peoples stuff in replies.

ROBBIE! Bellowhead are amazing! I saw the frontmen spiers and boden live and they were awsome!
in 'bands and artists' go to the bottom which is other artists ect. ive done a thread about them

Doolittle
12-25-2007, 07:36 PM
There's also tons of "Folk-Punk" bands around now, bands like Defiance, Ohio and This Bike is a Pipe Bomb and then smaller groups like Ghost Mice are huge. I've been to quite a few folk punk shows and they are nothing but fun and a good time. There was always a strong sense of community. I think it's a great thing. These bands are working hard and getting what they deserve.

lolmnt
12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
There's also tons of "Folk-Punk" bands around now, bands like Defiance, Ohio and This Bike is a Pipe Bomb and then smaller groups like Ghost Mice are huge. I've been to quite a few folk punk shows and they are nothing but fun and a good time. There was always a strong sense of community. I think it's a great thing. These bands are working hard and getting what they deserve.I was going to bring up folk punk, but I guess you beat me to it.

stellar_legs
12-26-2007, 02:03 AM
I don't like this new Folk movement that's sweeping across music.

The result has been 16 year old kids who dress in cowboy attire while they try and write simple Folk songs about whiskey, women and "life on the road." You can't be a Folk musician if you haven't lived a fucking life to write about. If whiskey is teen slang for energy drinks, women refers to your mom, and life on the road represents family trips to visit grandma then sure - 16 year olds can be Folk singers.

LoneWanderer13
12-27-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't like this new Folk movement that's sweeping across music.

The result has been 16 year old kids who dress in cowboy attire while they try and write simple Folk songs about whiskey, women and "life on the road." You can't be a Folk musician if you haven't lived a fucking life to write about. If whiskey is teen slang for energy drinks, women refers to your mom, and life on the road represents family trips to visit grandma then sure - 16 year olds can be Folk singers.

I really disagree with this. I think a lot of great folk singers are best when they're being imaginative and fantastical rather than autobiographical. For some it really works to sing about a personal experience, but sometimes great folk music comes in in telling a good story, and it needn't be about yourself. I don't know if the Decemberists are generally concidered folk (indie-folk? folk-rock? not really sure...genres confuse me generally), but I've always associated their storytelling quality with folk and don't think one has to have lived very long to have the imagination to come up with such stories.

I also really don't associate your imagery with folk music so much as country music. I'm not really fond at all of country music.

bradulator
12-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Woohoo, folk.

FenderChick77
12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
I think I'm agreeing with LoneWanderer. I don't know who Stellar is talking about, but most of the folk I'm hearing isn't from kids. Folk music was DEAD for a long time and then in the midst of pop divas and boy bands, Jewel Kilcher put out an album that made it big. I'm not saying she brought it back, but I'm saying she stands out in my mind. She was very young then, but her lyrics were brilliant and SHE actually wrote them.

In the coming years, people have finally gotten fed up with the music industry that basically gives artists a lot of people love fame while robbing them from record sales. They pay what was supposed to be PUBLIC radio to play the songs they are trying to promote. As a result, we ended up with a lot of sub-standard, big budget music that just doesn't mean anything.

Personally, I'm glad things are going back to just a guy and his guitar with a story to tell. Most of these guys I've been listening to are in their late 20's, 30's. Certainly not kids. I don't care if a 16 year-old wants to write folk tunes...as long as they're not about cutting themselves or that drippy teenage angst ****. That's not folk, that's emo.

15 years ago, you never could have convinced me that I would like folk music. I was convinced that was stuff like 'Bread' or 'Simon & Garfunkel'. Crap my mom would listen to. It's scary how many of the artists I love now resemble the sound of S&G. Hell, they're all even growing the beards now. WTF?! I'm getting old.