Do the Rolling Stones still rock?

PDA

View Full Version : Do the Rolling Stones still rock?

fret wanker
01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
You know of all the classic rock bands that are still around I think the Rolling Stones have passed the test of time. I mean their in their friggin 60s and they released a new album last year. Not only that but they went on tour and I saw them in Febuary 2006 at the Garden in NY. Also they are still in the news for doing crazy stuff. Over the summer Kieth broke his leg when he fell out of a palm tree... WHAT THE HELL IS A 60 YEAR OLD MAN DOING CLIMBING TREES????? That would be like my grandpa robbing a $0.99 store.

Concidering they started in the 50s, half of their originanal members died, and Mick Jagger still gets laid I think they are one of the coolest classic rock bands.

The floor is open what do you think?

SG6578
01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
the rolling stones never "rocked"......Hendrix ROCKED...Page ROCKED....Plant ROCKED.....Clapton ROCKED

feenux258
01-02-2007, 08:18 PM
i think its awesome that they r still doing what they love in their 60s

only thing is didnt mick jagger get knighted (could be wrong) i dont like that because he started off against the government and all but hey if i was able to get knighted i probably would too

samerika
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Theyre cool !

limefan913
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM
The Stones are still up there. Sure, they're not hard rock, but they've also been going for a large part of the last century. They are the classics. They represent what we strive to build upon, and what we have built upon. They are the foundation, and they're still strong.

Plus, you have to admit. Keith Richards can't be too bad of a guitarist if he can make guitars so far out of tune sound fairly good. Although I agree with you, the palm tree thing is great. I'm glad he didn't get seriously injured but its funny as hell. I read that headline and lost my coffee.

norrisfan
01-02-2007, 08:24 PM
you know is going to be knighted? Bono. Dont know about Mick Jagger.
but if you can jump around on stage at 60, drunk as hell, you have officially rocked. And SG6578, Jimi rocked, but i dont know about Clapton. Eric's kinda....

jim morrison714
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
yes they do. i saw them in concert at churchill downs and it was amazing

timmEH
01-02-2007, 08:30 PM
clapton rocks....hands down...go listen to a live version of layla and tell me that clapton doesnt rock...go listen to cream and tell me that clapton doesnt rock....clapton rocks harder than you!!!!11!1!!!!!!one!

yea i think the rolling stones were great but are past their prime...i sure as hell admire them for still doin what they love though

The Bad Larry
01-02-2007, 08:56 PM
They are old and some of their stuff is Eh... but some of the stuff is still awesome and if thats what they want to do then let them go for it, I just think its funny becuase they are like 60 now and when they started Mick said "I would rather die then be singing Satisfaction at age 45" ahahahaha can you believe that!

Americanhoser
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
They are has-beens. Their time was over in the eighties. Sure they still came out with albums, but they really are out of juice.

jac_murphy
01-02-2007, 09:16 PM
I saw them a year ago, and they've still got an amazing amount of energy. So I say yes, they can still rock.

-Jacques

master
01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
They are has-beens. Their time was over in the eighties. Sure they still came out with albums, but they really are out of juice.

They are not has-beens at all. They were are one of the very few very popular classic rock bands (the only other one I can think of is Aerosmith) that still "rock." There are plenty of classic rock bands that put on great musical performances, but very few classic rock bands put as much attitude and energy into their shows. Their musical ability and writing skills have gotten worse, no question about that, but they are still the greatest rock n' roll band in the world. (Although after seeing both the stones and Aerosmith, they are getting dangerously close to losing the title.)

AC/DC10
01-03-2007, 03:20 AM
the stones show i went to kicked some serious ass

paul889988
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
jagger the deserves to get knighted for the amount of happiness he has spread around the world and also he had nothing against the queen

PatchworkMan
01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
The Rolling Stones are pathetic. Great rock artists continue to try new things as they get older. The Stones, on the other hand, are just a nostalgia act, getting up on stage and doing their best impression of their 22-year-old selves. I would much rather watch a video of a 30-year-old Stones concert than a real Stones concert today. Watching a 60-year-old man prance around on stage the way Mick Jagger does is nothing short of comical.

ledhed68
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Mick Jagger has already been knighted, he just doesnt use his title

ElephantMan4563
01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah they do try to act like their still young and in a lot of ways it does kind of look comical but they are far from pathetic. If you can still be young at heart and prance around on stage like you did when you were 20 then my god go right ahead I mean why should age really slow you down

BrainDamage
01-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Their musical ability and writing skills have gotten worse, no question about that, but they are still the greatest rock n' roll band in the world. (Although after seeing both the stones and Aerosmith, they are getting dangerously close to losing the title.) hehe, in my opinion, the Stones lost that title to Aerosmith a while ago :p:

and um...yes, the Stones do still rock?

Americanhoser
01-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Well then the superbowl show and all of their latest albums must not be proper representations of their modern selves?

Abe
01-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Not iin my opinion, no they don't.

A Bigger Bang was horrible. Their new songs on 40 Licks didn't rock either, though I quite like Keys to Your Love.

I imagine Jagger is still a great charismatic frontman, but IMO they're not a patch on what passes for rock nowadays.

jac_murphy
01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Well then the superbowl show and all of their latest albums must not be proper representations of their modern selves?

The Superbowl show? Not at all. It was just a few days after the Montreal concert and I thought it was terrible by comparision.

As for the new album, I haven't hear much apart from what they played at the concert (which sounded okay to me, personally) so I won't comment.

-Jacques

bigwillie
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
No, they've lost their touch. I realize their 60, but good God, it's pathetic. They're not good for anything except for nostalgia today.

And AC/DC10, I'll be seeing Eric Clapton too, only on the 18 of March. I'll get to see then if Clapton still has it.