The Fleetwood Mac thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Fleetwood Mac thread

Punk Rocker
01-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Definitly my favorite band.

Well heres a starting topic: What incarnation of Fleetwood Mac do you like the best. Personally I like the the Rock N Roll Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac better but Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac had some good songs, my favorite being Merry Go Round.

Dale_kerigan
01-02-2007, 11:37 PM
peter green rips it home

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I love Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

The era of the band created some amazing songs. Coming Your Way is my favorite song, from the album Then Play On.

I also enjoy the Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac. Some really good Pop-Rock songs came out of that album, and Rumours is easily one of the best Pop-Albums ever created.

BrainDamage
01-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I like the Peter Green stuff I've heard. They get major points in my book right off the bat for Rattlesnake Shake, Stop Messin' Around, Searching for Madge and Fighting for Madge...all of which Aerosmith have played in some way/shape or form (the jams in Rattlesnake Shake and Rats in the Cellar when Aerosmith plays them live were without a doubt inspired by Searching/Fighting for Madge).

:D

Derigiberble
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Best Fleetwood Mac Song:

Jigsaw Puzzle Blues.

Go find it now.

BrainDamage
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
^^hah. Interesting :p: I still like Rattlesnake Shake.

P.S.- Derig, I got that Crowes show I was at. All 3 hours of it, in all it's glory (well, crowd noise was cut out to shorten it a little, but still :p: ).

Derigiberble
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Shweeet, next time i'm on AIM I shall be reminding you for it. :p:

Abe
01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I like both of them. Only recently heard a decent amount of the Peter Green stuff. If someone had played me it and told me it was FM I wouldn't have believed them for a second, being used to 'Everywhere' and 'Little Lies' and stuff like that.

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes, there's such a contrast between the two eras of Fleetwood Mac.

In fact, there was also an era of merging from the Peter Green-era to Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks-era, in which the line-up consisted of Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Christie McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood.

However, Spencer left after a single album, and was replaced by Bob Welch.

This era, which still had strong Peter Green-era influences, changed a couple of more times before becoming the best-known line-up of the band, consisting of Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie, Christie McVie, and Mick Fleetwood.

jac_murphy
01-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I noticed in a track list for their live album (Fleetwood Mac Live) that they play Oh Well. What does it sound like compared to the studio version?

-Jacques

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't own that album, but I remember hearing it on the radio a long time ago.

It's quite possible that I have forgotten, but I'm almost positive that the live version from that album is mostly the same, but simply leaves out the acoustic piece at the end. This version is performed by the Buckingham/Nicks-era of Fleetwood Mac, but is still done well.

Also, there is a video on YouTube of Oh Well being performed, by the Peter Green-era of the the band, but it is only the first few minutes as well... it doesn't include the long acoustic piece either.

PatchworkMan
01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I think Fleetwood Mac peaked at Rumors. That album had a nice mix of everyone in it; they kind of brought that feeling back with The Dance. I'm a huge fan of Lindsey Buckingham, but I think albums like Tusk indicate that he sometimes becomes a little to big for his place in a band with three great songwriters.

get-born
01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, I don't think I really have to express my love for Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac anymore than I have done in the past. There amazing. But I have been listening to more Buckingham/Nicks Mac lately, and I am loving it. Go Your Own Way is a personal favorite, and The Chain. Buckingham is a very good guitarist, however, I am not a big Nicks fan. She basically was "bribed" into the band, and FM would have been fine without her (Chistine McVie has a better voice anyways) but still, she cuts it. Great band.

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
What I prefer about Christie McVie is that she was heavily blues-based, having been in the British-blues band Chicken Shack prior to joining Fleetwood Mac.

Rock1986
01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Landslide is one of my favorites

Dog Eat Dog
01-04-2007, 11:39 PM
PG's Fleetwood Mac is amazing. Peter Green is my Favourite guitarist of all time. my Favourite songs are Leavin Town Blues, Show Biz Blues and Stop Messin Around.

Strange Angel
01-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Peter Green's. He's on my list of fav guitarists.

get-born
01-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Has anyone heard The Rocket's cover of "Oh Well"? Great cover.

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
The only band I know called The Rockets were Crazy Horse before forming to officially form Crazy Horse.

ECwomantoneman
01-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Peter Green's version of the Mac all the way man!

TheHeartbreaker
01-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Based upon this thread, and many other threads I've seen, it appears as though the Peter Green-era is favored.

Abe
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
^Keep in mind that this is a forum made up mainly of guitarists though.

I'd say overall, just at a guess that the Stevie Nicks era is the most well-known and favoured era of Fleetwood Mac when non musicians are taken into account.

:cheers:

JethroTullfan72
01-07-2007, 09:00 PM
The Buckingham/Nicks/McVies/Fleetwood was better in my opinion. Rumours has to be one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Peter Green is an awesome guitar player, but all his songs sound the same.

TheHeartbreaker
01-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I disagree.

Some of his songs do have a similar sound, which is quite common with a lot of artists, but they are definitely all unique from one another.