It Ends Tonight - Metalcore [GP5, Midi]

PDA

View Full Version : It Ends Tonight - Metalcore [GP5, Midi]

Ryioku
01-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Though it's not done... I've been having alot of different riffs going through my head lately... and I again, wanted to see what you all thought of this one...

Drums, Bass, 2 guitar... The intro riff is pretty stereotypical metalcore, but i tried to make it different with the drums and bass... Just lemme know what you think, please :)

Tuning: Standard (yeah! not Drop-C! Isn't that odd?!)
Influences: Darkest Hour, At The Gates, All That Remains.

Strange... I haven't pulled influence from Darkest Hour in months... And this seems to be one of my more exciting sounding peices... hm...

face_haver
01-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Not too bad get it finished although im not sure about standard tuning i generally write in Drop B or C and i think that in some of your riffs its a little crazy with the hammer on pull off parts otherwise good stuff.

Check out my metalcore songs
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496056

Ryioku
01-03-2007, 03:40 AM
Thanks, I'll look at yours when i'm done posting... You say its good, but what would make it awesome. You tell me, youre a listener :)

GiantRaven
01-03-2007, 05:38 AM
I think it would be perfection to have a slower epic chorus where you finished it

Good stuff, I liked it a lot

face_haver
01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Start listening to Darkest Hour again, one of the few metalcore bands these days with decent recognition and musical integrity. I still think drop is a good way to go. Standard can sound very power metal or cheesy with some types of riffs. Also depending on the style of metalcore try to get an energy in your riffs. Try writing lots of riffs and breakdowns different BPM till you find one that suits you and most important of all update your old stuff and keep writing new stuff. Many people write many shit songs before making good ones. I used to. I mean they were terrible. Now well i dunno i think theyre better.

face_haver
01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
So i was messing around with your song and transposed it down to DROP D put it in DROPC without transposing and dropped the whole thing 2 semitones. And i think it makes the song alot better also you have to slow down the hammer ons/pull offs because its hard to make out the notes they're so fast. Gimme a look when you get that done.

Ryioku
01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks... However I think I'm going to stick with Standard... generally, unless its what you're going for, riffs in standard tuning wont sound cheesy or power metal at all. I've made cheesy powermetal riffs in Drop C back when I used to use it all the time.

Also something you can't do is the chugga chug chug breakdowns, which I'm not really a fan of breakdowns anyway. If its gonna have a breakdown, it at least has to have a relatively fast, or eerie riff in the background... kinda like stuff that God Forbid does.

As for those really fast hammerons, that's how it's meant to sound, i wanted to have this fast blur of notes that you cant distinguish the single notes, but you can tell, through listening to it, that it is a fast paced, rising note pattern.

And yes, I know that Darkest Hour is good, they are one of my favorite bands around right now, I just haven't listened to them in a while, till recently.

Anyone else? :)

EDIT: Also, this isn't my first song... I've had alot of songs, this is just one of my more recent ones. And I do believe there is energy in my riffs. :peace:

ouchies
01-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Do you listen to PTH by any change?

btw, i like the song a lot.

Ryioku
01-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Do you listen to PTH by any change?

btw, i like the song a lot.

Well.. unless I'm having a memory problem and can't remember, I don't think I know what PTH stands for... So I'm gonna have to say nope.

and thanks :)

face_haver
01-04-2007, 12:50 AM
PTH

Protest the Hero i think. They're awesome

Ryioku
01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I checked out PTH... theyre pretty cool. Thanks.

Okay... It might have been a while, I dunno, but I've updated it a bit, slowed down the hammer ons, and added a bit more... workin on the solo right now. After the solo, I plan to have a more epic, and much slower outro, also the chorus.. the only chorus part in the song.

Lemme know how it is now, thanks :)

Ryioku
01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Okay since Noone was downloading the updated version... I put the new one in the first post... yeah, so just check it out :peace:

MOOSE ATTACK!!!
01-09-2007, 12:56 AM
I agree with the others about downtuning. try Db Gb B E Ab Db

Ryioku
01-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Okay, I get it that you all think I should downtune it... that's great. Don't mean to sound mean or whatever, it just gets tiring constantly hearing people tell me to downtune my guitar because standard is too "cheesy" or "upbeat" for metalcore.

I'm not asking if you people like the tuning, i'm asking what you think about the song.

Thank you.

EDIT: I don't even think this is metalcore anyway... it's more Melodic Thrash than anything... what with the absense of a "breakdown" and no open string "chugging" whatsoever to create that "thick" sound every metalcore band goes for.

LPIndin
01-14-2007, 12:59 PM
it does remind me of protest the hero. its very good though.

oh and this isnt metalcore, its post-hardcore

The Powerslave
01-14-2007, 01:14 PM
The intro riff sounds a little too busy for my liking, its hard to pick out whats going on, but the riff on Bars 11-14 is good. The verse riff is good as well, and does link well into the intro riff. I like the harmony, that works really well, although I'm not as keen on the break bit. The pre-solo is another good bit, sounds quite epic, and like its leading into something. If you can fit a good solo in after that that should sound excellent. Also bear in mind I may have been a little bit harsh above as I dont really like this sort of music, but the harmony and pre-solo bits are really good.