Classic Canrock Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Classic Canrock Thread

Sloopy
01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Here is the place to talk about Canadian Classic Rock. This is not a thread for just Canadians, but for people to talk about thier favourite Canadian artists in Classic Rock. Name your favourite groups too.

My favs are:
BTO
The Guess Who
April Wine
54-40
Tragically Hip

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
For me, my favorite Canadian band is Rush.

I also enjoy Bachman-Turner Overdrive, The Guess Who, Neil Young, and, though this might be a stretch, John Kay from Steppenwolf was essentially raised in Canada after moving there from Germany.

BrainDamage
01-03-2007, 05:08 PM
^^Heartbreaker, you seem to like a few bands I've been meaning to start listening to. AIM? :)

As for Canadian bands/artists...Neil Young and Rush :liplick:

Gin_Rummy
01-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Rush FTW

Maet
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Can't get enough of that sweet, sweet Rush.

Brandon860
01-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Rush
Guess Who
Neil Young
Chiliwack
April Wine
Tragically Hip
The Kings(man I need to find one of their albums)

TheHeartbreaker
01-03-2007, 07:34 PM
^^Heartbreaker, you seem to like a few bands I've been meaning to start listening to. AIM? :)

As for Canadian bands/artists...Neil Young and Rush :liplick:

The computer with my music is broken. :sad:

2112swartz
01-03-2007, 07:37 PM
rush rocks :D

BrainDamage
01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
The computer with my music is broken. :sad: :eek:

:sad:

you should have learned from my mistake and backed everything up while you still could ;)

Sloopy
01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
anyone like Trooper?

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
:eek:

:sad:

you should have learned from my mistake and backed everything up while you still could ;)

No, the music is still on there, but we recently had to change our Internet router because Time Warner Cable sucks ****. :mad:

Basically, our computer is set-up with a list of log-in accounts for each member of our family, but right now we can only get into our moms.

All of the computer information is still saved, but for some reason we are unable to "re-open" everyone elses account, and thus I cannot get to my music right now.

Sloopy
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
No, the music is still on there, but we recently had to change our Internet router because Time Warner Cable sucks ****. :mad:

Basically, our computer is set-up with a list of log-in accounts for each member of our family, but right now we can only get into our moms.

All of the computer information is still saved, but for some reason we are unable to "re-open" everyone elses account, and thus I cannot get to my music right now.

not to eavesdrop BUT, that blows. Norton Ghost is the best for that kind of thing.

timmEH
01-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Rush
Neil Young
BTO
April Wine
oh..did i mention rush?
oh.. i did

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
not to eavesdrop BUT, that blows. Norton Ghost is the best for that kind of thing.

Well, it's probably not as big of a problem as I'm making it out to be.

My dad just hasn't had much time to really look and see what the problem is, and my mom doesn't understand computers well enough.

But I'll look into this "Norton Ghost" for future references. I'm assuming it's made my the same Norton AntiVirus company?

Sloopy
01-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Well, it's probably not as big of a problem as I'm making it out to be.

My dad just hasn't had much time to really look and see what the problem is, and my mom doesn't understand computers well enough.

But I'll look into this "Norton Ghost" for future references. I'm assuming it's made my the same Norton AntiVirus company?

Yes you prob get at it at Staples or Future Shop or something. I saw it on Dotto Tech a few months ago. Once your computer is set up again load in the disc and everything backs up. Then if this happnes again you can go back in and get your files no problemo.

BrainDamage
01-04-2007, 06:16 PM

All of the computer information is still saved, but for some reason we are unable to "re-open" everyone elses account, and thus I cannot get to my music right now. if you are on one account, you can access files stored on other usernames, correct?

get-born
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Only if you save it to a certain folder called "Shared Documents" or something along those lines...

???

BrainDamage
01-04-2007, 06:40 PM
^^just go to "My Computer" and folders for "My Documents" for each of this computer's usernames are there. Then in "My Documents" is "My Music".

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
*Slaps forehead*

I just realized I can still trade. I feel so ****ing stupid.

Yes, I can still access my folders, but for some reason I was thinking that I needed iTunes to be able to trade.

What the ****?! :haha

I'll be happy to trade some tomorrow, then. :)

ufossuck
01-04-2007, 08:52 PM
No one likes Joni Mitchell or The Band?

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Shit, I totally forgot about The Band! :eek:

As for Joni Mitchell, my dad listens to her, so I have some of her CDs in my house. I'm actually thinking of checking her out sometime soon.

Lessthanbass22
01-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I used to be really into the Guess Who around a year ago but i havn't given them a listen in a while. I think i'll have to pull out American Woman.

BTW this thread got totally hijacked

jac_murphy
01-05-2007, 12:59 AM
April Wine FTW.

I've jammed with Brian Greenway. :D

-Jacques

Sloopy
01-05-2007, 02:16 AM
April Wine FTW.

-Jacques

Youre shitting me. Brian Greenway is the best.

Brandon860
01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
April Wine FTW.

-Jacques

haha awesome man, I met the band when they played a show here about 3 years back and got Greenway to show me how to play the opening part of Bad Side of the Moon. What happened was because their show was a pub night, we couldn't get in the arena because we weren't legal drinking age. So me and a couple people hung around the back entrace where they were bringing the beer in from trucks allnight so the zamboni entrace was open and we could hear and pretty much see and hear everything. What was cool was their tour bus was right beside where we were and when they were done playing we talked to them before they left. For the last little while I couldn't find a decent tab for the song(there's one on here now though) and because Greenway had his guitar still out and with him I asked if he could maybe just show me how to do the start, and he was glad to do it. Definetly some real nice guys man.

jac_murphy
01-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Sweet...

He came up to a summer camp that I work at since he had gone there back in the 60's as a kid. We have this program there called "School of Rock" where we basically teach the kids a little theory and jam on simple stuff, and we put on a small concert for the rest of the camp at the end of the summer. He joined us for some of our jam sessions as well as onstage later on. So not only did I jam with him, but I performed with him! :D

Definitely an awesome guy.

-Jacques

Mudmen190
01-06-2007, 01:30 AM
April Wine came to our town (a very small one) for the past few years in a row raging to do a concert.
I only went last year (wearing my Rush hoodie lol) cause I started to get into them a little more around then, and I'm definately going to see em this year if they come. No more then 300 people come to the show, 300 people x $22.00 a ticket=6,600. It was incredible to see them so energetic after so many years.
Rush is also a band I worship...But for some reason they ignore the maritimes, which is sad cause they have alot of hardcore fans around, even nowadays...

TheHeartbreaker
01-06-2007, 02:00 AM
I used to be really into the Guess Who around a year ago but i havn't given them a listen in a while. I think i'll have to pull out American Woman.

BTW this thread got totally hijacked

...It did? :confused:

Mikeoman
01-06-2007, 02:28 PM
The Tragically Hip rule.

Sloopy
01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
The Tragically Hip rule.

Amen man. I cant believe I forgot Rush!

ufossuck
01-08-2007, 02:03 AM
The Tragically Hip rule.
This is the clasic rock forum.

Myrdinn
01-08-2007, 03:19 PM
McKenna, Mendlson, Mainline

Sloopy
01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
This is the clasic rock forum.

Cant the Hip be CR? Like they started in the 80's and stuff, same goes with 54-40. Who with me? Tragically Hip and 54-40 for CR!

HarryPitts
01-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Looking forward to hear some new Rush this year......been awhile since Ive seen them in concert.....I jus might go if they tour.
A band thats still one of my fav's used to start Rush concerts in the early days was Max Webster..........they actually did a colaberation(sp), the song was called Battle Scar.

Some of MW great songs were Here Among The Cats, Hangover, Oh War.....bunch of others as well.
The frontman Kim Mitchell went on to form his own band.......and is now a rock radio personality in Toronto on Q107.

Ya gotta love The Guess Who....as well as BTO...........they wrote some great classics.

How bout The Stampeeders..............wow........lol..........classic.

ufossuck
01-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Cant the Hip be CR? Like they started in the 80's and stuff, same goes with 54-40. Who with me? Tragically Hip and 54-40 for CR!
Tragically hip debuted in '87. By the same standard that disqualifies the Black Crowes as classic rock, the Tragically Hip arn't classic rock and neither are 54-40.

I've seen no mention of Tom Cochrane, Gordon Lightfoot, The Five Man Electrical Band, Pat Travers, Leonard Cohen or Lenny Breau yet. They're all gooders.

timmEH
01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
max webster ftw...they are from my city.....some of my buddy's have taken lessons form their guitarist

Sloopy
01-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Tragically hip debuted in '87. By the same standard that disqualifies the Black Crowes as classic rock, the Tragically Hip arn't classic rock and neither are 54-40.

I've seen no mention of Tom Cochrane, Gordon Lightfoot, The Five Man Electrical Band, Pat Travers, Leonard Cohen or Lenny Breau yet. They're all gooders.

Five Man's good, but kinda one song. In concert they play that song twice usually. Cohen to me is boring after a few listens. Cochrane ftw!

ufossuck
01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Five Man's good, but kinda one song. In concert they play that song twice usually. Cohen to me is boring after a few listens. Cochrane ftw!
Two songs! "Signs" and "Absolutely Right."

Sloopy
01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Two songs! "Signs" and "Absolutely Right."

How could I forget that! Absolutely Right's an alright song.

Sloopy
08-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I've been listening a ton to Chilliwack lately and instead of making a specific Chilliwack thread I thought that it'd make more sense to post it in here. I highly recommend everyone checking out 'Lonesome Mary' and 'Communication Breakdown' for the most part.

get-born
08-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Rush
Neil Young
Joni Mitchell
The Band
April Wine
BTO

DownInAHole.
08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Neil Young, mostly. And some Rush every now and then.

Liam Alan
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM

Yeah I was about to chime in on Cohen and Lightfoot. Cohen is brutal. "Famous Blue Raincoat" has to be one of the most emotionally painful song ever. I feel my heart breaking just listening to it. So sad.

claptonfan55
08-13-2007, 01:10 PM
No one likes Joni Mitchell or The Band?
don't forget about The Band!
(don't listen to Joni Mitchell much, so yeah)

Maet
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
I find Canadian rock music in general is just consistently great. Not just the classic rock era. For example, there's Rush, The Band, April Wine, Joni Mitchell, Sam Roberts, The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, etc.

I'm especially fond of Sloan right now. In large part because of there power pop melodies and ridiculously strong vocal harmonies.

Sloopy
08-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I find Canadian rock music in general is just consistently great. Not just the classic rock era. For example, there's Rush, The Band, April Wine, Joni Mitchell, Sam Roberts, The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, etc.

I'm especially fond of Sloan right now. In large part because of there power pop melodies and ridiculously strong vocal harmonies.

I really enjoy Sloan. I caught a show of theirs a few years back in a small club in Halifax. Great stuff.

Canadian rock music I think will have its day soon, I mean Canadian bands today like Nelly Furtado (bleh) or Sam Roberts (not bad) are raking in tons of album sales and are scoring hits all over the world. It can only be the beginning of a resurgence in Canadian music popularity, no? Could their be a Britpop type thing to happen to Canada in the coming future? I think so.

Anybody ever heard of a group called the Stampeders? Chilliwack?

Maet
08-18-2007, 11:48 PM
I rather enjoy Sam Roberts. Mind you his neo classic rock philosophy isn't all for me, but the music itself is rather good.

I'm just adoring Sloan right now. There are playing the CNE on the 25th. I'd go, but my sisters getting married (family first).

Never Hear The End Of It and Action Pact are two of my absolute favourite albums right now.

Sloopy
08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
^ That's cool, have you caught that Guess special that gets played on PBS a lot? I can't get enough - I even bought the CD/DVD package.

pumpkins_rule
08-30-2007, 09:27 PM
I really enjoy Sloan. I caught a show of theirs a few years back in a small club in Halifax. Great stuff.

Canadian rock music I think will have its day soon, I mean Canadian bands today like Nelly Furtado (bleh) or Sam Roberts (not bad) are raking in tons of album sales and are scoring hits all over the world. It can only be the beginning of a resurgence in Canadian music popularity, no? Could their be a Britpop type thing to happen to Canada in the coming future? I think so.

Anybody ever heard of a group called the Stampeders? Chilliwack?

You do know that up until a few years ago Montreal had the most famous music scene in the world, with Toronto close behind?

Sloopy
09-02-2007, 09:46 PM
You do know that up until a few years ago Montreal had the most famous music scene in the world, with Toronto close behind?

I can see that, have you been to the Montreal Jazz Fest man? Crazy and like 75% of everything is local.

Sandman634
09-14-2007, 10:48 AM
BTO
Triumph(with Rik Emmett)
FM(with Nash The Slash)
Rush
Max Webster & Kim Mitchell Solo
Guess Who/Randy Bachman solo/Burton Cummings solo
The Band/Robbie Robertson solo
The Stampeders
Goddo
Downchild Blues Band(Know they are 'Blues" but have had songs on Rock charts also)
Doug & the Slugs

pumpkins_rule
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I can see that, have you been to the Montreal Jazz Fest man? Crazy and like 75% of everything is local.

I was talking about the indie scene, but I've heard good things about their jazz fest as well.

Sloopy
09-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I was talking about the indie scene, but I've heard good things about their jazz fest as well.

Yeah, I used to go every year. Planning on checking out the fest in '08 for the first time in six years.