Characteristics of a classic rock song

PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics of a classic rock song

JimmyStradlin33
01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I need all your help on this, what would you define as the characteristics of a classic rock song? And i don't mean like must be written between 1960 somthing and 1980 something i mean in reference to things like structure, subjects etc and i know it's a very wide ranging genre but just give me your thoughts on it

blue_strat
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
they're usually fairly simple in structure, and a lot of them just use chords I IV V, and the pentatonic scale for soloing

DieN
01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
You could as well ask about the structure of music in general.^^

ledzep1023
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
yea what blue strat said.

NOtrab
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
its usually written between 1960 an 1980

haha

JimmyStradlin33
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey blue strat whereabouts you from in cheltenham? I'm from stroud myself

Sloopy
01-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Theyre usually just songs by rock bands of that time aren't they?

futurejp
01-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Well the main difference I think of is the focus on the hook of a song. If you ask someone to hum a recent song, chances are they'll hum you the vocal melody. In today's music, the focus is all on the vocals/vocalist. All of the other instruments just play power chords. It's stupid. (Yes, I know some of you could give me plenty of examples otherwise, but for the most part, the musical nature of today's music is ...not very musical). But classic rock - it's more about everyone on all instruments having talent. Like...when you hum The Ocean, you hum the guitar. Walk This Way, the drums (and guitar). I know this is an answer that says basically nothing, but classic rock was just so much more about the MUSIC than today's music is.

blue_strat
01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
^^^ kinda between pitville and whaddon (yay, whaddon! :P)
kool, we should jam some time :)

ElephantMan4563
01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Well the main difference I think of is the focus on the hook of a song. If you ask someone to hum a recent song, chances are they'll hum you the vocal melody. In today's music, the focus is all on the vocals/vocalist. All of the other instruments just play power chords. It's stupid. (Yes, I know some of you could give me plenty of examples otherwise, but for the most part, the musical nature of today's music is ...not very musical). But classic rock - it's more about everyone on all instruments having talent. Like...when you hum The Ocean, you hum the guitar. Walk This Way, the drums (and guitar). I know this is an answer that says basically nothing, but classic rock was just so much more about the MUSIC than today's music is.

RIGHT ON MAN CYBER HIGH FIVE TOTALLY AGREE

RainSong
01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
seems like music was ''cleaner'' then, if u get what im saying. You could hear every single instrument, every single guitar part. where as now atleast the songs i hear its all distorted together no significant parts, no guitar solos worth mentioning. i mean u think classic rock and the bands sound nothing alike. like say Bob seger and ac/dc but its still classic rock.

Gin_Rummy
01-05-2007, 03:24 PM
I find it hard to hear the bass guitar in most of todays music, it seems they mix it so that you don't hear it anymore.

Maet
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
It's funny. All it took was 8 posts to turn this simple question of "how were Classic Rock songs built?" into "OMFG, new music sucks".

Classic Rock songs basically took the basic and made them grand (and loud). Simple structures, simple rhythms, accessible lyrics, etc.

therussian
01-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Soaring vocals + incendiary guitar + driving bass + manic drumming = Classic rock song.

timmEH
01-06-2007, 10:41 PM
^ +1

BrainDamage
01-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Soaring vocals + incendiary guitar + driving bass + manic drumming = Classic rock song. "And the guitar sound... is incindiary. Incendiary. Way to go."

:p:

JimmyStradlin33
01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
^^^ kinda between pitville and whaddon (yay, whaddon! :P)
kool, we should jam some time :)

Yeh sounds cool man, i didn't realise anyone within 100 miles of me used ug!

ClassicRock4Eva
01-07-2007, 05:57 PM
wouldn't it be where there's a part of the song that everyone recognises, be it melody, riff, solo, etc?

for instance, most people wouldn't recognise planet caravan, but they'd know paranoid or iron man

Sloopy
01-07-2007, 06:07 PM
RIGHT ON MAN CYBER HIGH FIVE TOTALLY AGREE

+1