Songs to Jam With

PDA

View Full Version : Songs to Jam With

hamett91
01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I've been playing with a fellow guitar player and a drummer lately. What are some fun songs to jam on? So far we've been playing:

I Don't Live Today, Gypsey Eyes, Voodoo Child- Hendrix
Yer Blues- The Beatles

jim morrison714
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM
grateful dead stuff

NotAJock2Day
01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
The Lemon Song - Led Zepplin
Black Dog - Led Zepplin
Cissy Strut - The Meters
Who Did You Think I Was - John Mayer Trio

Jearl
01-04-2007, 07:52 PM
a few guys i play with and i used to do In A Gadda Da Vida mixed with Sunshine of Your Love

BrainDamage
01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
^^haha my friends and I joke around by doing stuff like Mary Janes Last Dance with Dani California lyrics and Tales of Brave Ulysses with White Room lyrics.

by the way, where in NJ are you from?

psychodelia
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Cortez the Killer by Neil Young.

I'll post more when I'm not eating dinner.

BrainDamage
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
^^ah yeah...I was jamming with my uncle on Christmas Eve, I was playing rhythm. I started with Down By The River and then I tried to go into Cortez the Killer but forgot the third chord so I just varied up the rhythm and ended up in Breathe by Pink Floyd :p:

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I love jamming to The Allman Brothers Band and Grateful Dead, but when my friends I jam, it's usually entirely improvised - very rarely do we actually base our jams on other songs.

When we do, however, it's usually by one of those those two bands. :p:

jim morrison714
01-04-2007, 08:24 PM
i think allman brothers, phish, gov't mule, and the grateful dead, are probably the easiest to jam off because theyre jam bands :idea:

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
NO WAY! :eek:

psychodelia
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
^^ah yeah...I was jamming with my uncle on Christmas Eve, I was playing rhythm. I started with Down By The River and then I tried to go into Cortez the Killer but forgot the third chord so I just varied up the rhythm and ended up in Breathe by Pink Floyd :p:

Oh yeah, the Em - A thing... I love stringing pieces together.

Some of my bands' favorite jam songs:

All Along the Watchtower. NOT the Hendrix version, though. Listen to the Dave Matthews Band live to get an idea of how we do it. Also, like the DMB version, our chords are Am - F- G - F, so during solos, me and the other lead can look at each other and go seamlessly into the Stairway to Heaven outro.

Cocaine We sometimes do a little medley with this one. We end it with the chorus "She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie..." then go right into a song "Jordan" by Buckethead. Finally, we wind down the Jordan jam a bit, and one of the leads goes into Voodoo Child.

Little Wing A band favorite, not mine personally. I think it should be restricted to two solo choruses, but the other guys like it. We do get some good dynamic range from the song, and the chord progression opens up some interesting options when soloing.

Besides that, we generally just jam on originals or on-the-spot stuff, which can sometimes be a bit more rewarding. Just let it go and don't worry about where you'll end up :)

TheHeartbreaker
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
All Along the Watchtower. NOT the Hendrix version, though. Listen to the Dave Matthews Band live to get an idea of how we do it. Also, like the DMB version, our chords are Am - F- G - F, so during solos, me and the other lead can look at each other and go seamlessly into the Stairway to Heaven outro.

A friend of mine has the DVD of when the band performed in Central Park.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but didn't mister Warren Haynes accompany them on that song (along with a couple of others)?