Can anyone help me understand something about growler vocals?

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me understand something about growler vocals?

DownbėloW
01-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Why do people enjoy vocals from bands like Cannibal Corpse and Moria? Seriously, I don't understand.

cados121
01-05-2007, 02:17 AM
I really cant help you, umm i guess it makes them sound angrier. The only time that I enjoy vocals like this is when its a small background part, like during a chorus or something. Its mostly useless though IMO...

iamnoone
01-05-2007, 02:19 AM
yeah i don't,know why ???
i didn't do anything to these people, why are they so angry ? yelling and growling at me ???? sometimes it fits mostly doesn't!
hope this fad goes away soon !!!

Annihilator666
01-05-2007, 02:25 AM
They yell, growl, or scream because most of them can't sing. Besides you can't have singing in something like Cannibal Corpse or Deicide, it wouldn't sound as good.

Darth_Qurashi
01-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Yo, screaming rlly pumps u up whne u listen to it. It's like a different style of singing, cause it's a different genre. So u can't rly juge it, cause they're prbly thinking how anyone can enjoy bands that sing, or ppl that yodel or something. It's whatever floats ur boat I guess.

Also, It takes skill to do it to too, cause u can like injure ur throat and stuff, u have to use proper techniques like singing like using ur diaphragm and stuff like that. So we can't just say that it's easier than singing or whatever cause it's not, just try screaming for that long, u'll prbly start coughing right after 10 seconds or soemthing lol, unless u have some natural taletn or something

Dr._Rock
01-05-2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/04/13/cookie_narrowweb__200x277.jpg

The Bad Larry
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Mostly they scream because they can't sing well so they make up for it by screaming but Darth dude is right i can't do it so i can't judge

phatsack
01-05-2007, 10:58 PM
it's all about the music and what goes with it. next time you hear a song by Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, or any other death metal, try imagining what YOU would sing with it.

neidnarb11890
01-05-2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/04/13/cookie_narrowweb__200x277.jpg

"COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE!"

RevolverX
01-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Screaming's fine, if you can do it, and do it well. I think a lot of that depends on your vocal ability, genetically. Phil Anselmo, great screamer. Matt Heafy, bad screamer. Angela Gossow? Absolutely horrible .. Just my own opinion though, can't rag on the Amott bros.

unfathomable_bo
01-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Mostly they scream because they can't sing well so they make up for it by screaming but Darth dude is right i can't do it so i can't judge

Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth

nuff said haha

Evil_Magician
01-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I kind of hate death metal vox but i realy love the black metal high pitch vocals like:
Immortal,Dissection,Emperor but alexi laiho is my fav singer of this style.

YAY_FOR_PIE
01-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Because its a taste and you don't need to ask people why they like the things they do.
For example:
"Threadstarter, why do you like homosexual activity? Seriously, I don't understand."

ParanoiaMusic
01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
It's because they can't think outside of the box. See...singing over death metal makes you a pussy. At least that's apparently the case. But they think they have to have somebody doing something on the microphone that isn't pussy-like. So the best they have come up with is growling like a monster. That's how I think of it and it cracks me up. They're like little kids playing monster, growling like my 7 year old into the mic.

Honestly, I can hardly listen to it without laughing. They're so afraid of being a pussy that they make an ass out of themselves.

Just my opinion...

Fik0n
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
You can't look at growling like singing in my opinion. You should think of it more like scat, using your voice as an instrument. Growling is like mega distorted scat if you know what i mean. I'm not a fan of it but that's the way i look at it. It's not like all of us get all the lyrics in what we listening to without a peak in the booklet, death metal fans just have to peak alot ^^

clint160
01-10-2007, 06:38 PM
dude I'm so glad someone else feels exactly the same way I do. I suppose that since most extreme metal bands and metalcore bands are supposed to be super heavy and dark and creepy and such but I personally find it to be unlistenable, and I like to poke fun at it all the time about how they sound like the cookie monster. And I find it apalling that on the boards we refer to true metal as most of the extreme metal genres. I think it should refer to heavy metal bands from the first half of the 80's that were NWOBHM, Glam Metal, or Speed Metal.

Masochist_Lust
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
People in Death Metal/Black Metal/Grindcore/Whatever bands growl because it adds effect to the music. If it was Ab standard tuning with beautiful harmonic singing, it would sound like complete shit. And, growling is harder to do that singing, it's probably easier to learn how to sing that to growl.

There are some excellent growlers who can sing aswell, like Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. Also, there is the official growling thread in the metal forum, you guys should check it out.

--Masochist Lust

ParanoiaMusic
01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
dude I'm so glad someone else feels exactly the same way I do. I suppose that since most extreme metal bands and metalcore bands are supposed to be super heavy and dark and creepy and such but I personally find it to be listenable, and I like to poke fun at it all the time about how they sound like the cookie monster. And I find it apalling that on the boards we refer to true metal as most of the extreme metal genres. I think it should refer to heavy metal bands from the first half of the 80's that were NWOBHM, Glam Metal, or Speed Metal.

A~fuckin~men to that brother...

My generation put metal on the map, so to hell with all you wieners recategorizing my shit!

J_J
01-11-2007, 05:39 PM
i really don't have any good things to say about it....