Raindbow Ripped Off hendrix?

PDA

View Full Version : Raindbow Ripped Off hendrix?

BreakingTheGirl
01-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Is there anyone else here who thinks Rainbow's "Catch A Rainbow" bears and uncanny resemblance to Hendrix's "Little Wing"?

The guitar and the intrumental feel of the song are identical for most of the song, and there are alot of tlyrics that bear the same theme as Little Wing.

Just sayin.

...Yeah.
Great song though...

Brandon860
01-05-2007, 05:48 PM
hendrix isn't the original creator of little wing, it's and old blues song.

psychodelia
01-05-2007, 05:55 PM

I haven't heard of this.

BreakingTheGirl
01-05-2007, 05:58 PM

I don't see how that makes any difference
(and whether or not that is true is disputable)

But, the lyrics are a bit like Little Wing,
And it doesn't matter who wrote them but they are,
and it SOUNDS a bit like HENDRIX'S VERSION.

Brandon860
01-05-2007, 06:06 PM
wait nevermind I was wrong, sorry.

TheHeartbreaker
01-05-2007, 06:29 PM
:haha

I was like, WTF?

Anyways, I think they carry a similar feeling and emotion, but Rainbow definitely did not rip-off Jimi Hendrix.

Blackmore was very influenced by Jimi Hendrix, so maybe it was more of a "tribute song" than anything else.

Brandon860
01-05-2007, 06:37 PM

I was like, WTF?

Anyways, I think they carry a similar feeling and emotion, but Rainbow definitely did not rip-off Jimi Hendrix.

Blackmore was very influenced by Jimi Hendrix, so maybe it was more of a "tribute song" than anything else.

I just listend to Cathc the Rainbow an I'm gonna have to agree with everything you just said. Actually I find that it sounds a little like Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore as well.

I still can't figure out what made me think Hendrix didn't write Little Wing, it was for his mama.

distilledspirit
01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
The title of the song is Catch the Rainbow, and yes it has similarities but in now way is it a "rip-off".

TheUltimateSin
01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Resembles? Yes. Rip-off? No. When one guitarist is influenced by another, you'll find that some of the guitar pieces will sound similar.

rx_eb
01-06-2007, 01:30 AM
i haven't heard of the song yet but perhaps it's either a rendition or a tribute to Little Wing, similar to Yellow Ledbtter by Pearl Jam?

TheHeartbreaker
01-06-2007, 01:59 AM
I still can't figure out what made me think Hendrix didn't write Little Wing, it was for his mama.

Yeah, Poor Jimi. :(

psychodelia
01-06-2007, 02:29 AM
i haven't heard of the song yet but perhaps it's either a rendition or a tribute to Little Wing, similar to Yellow Ledbtter by Pearl Jam?

I listened a bit, and it's mostly the chord progression, I think, rather than the playing style like Yellow Ledbetter.

rx_eb
01-06-2007, 03:26 AM
I listened a bit, and it's mostly the chord progression, I think, rather than the playing style like Yellow Ledbetter.

oooh

i might download the song

Derigiberble
01-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Yellow Ledbetter - Tribute song to Leadbelly

Parrisienne Walkways - stolen from a jazz standard called Blue Bossa.

Just thought I'd clear some stuff up.

And it's not a rip-off at all. It's just influenced.

Stimulans
05-09-2007, 04:01 AM
I just listend to Cathc the Rainbow an I'm gonna have to agree with everything you just said. Actually I find that it sounds a little like Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore as well.

I figure Ritchie wanted to do some sort of hommage to Hendrix, who in fact turned him from Gibson 355+AC30 to Stratocaster+Marshall combination and inspired his whammy bar onstage madness... CTR is far too similar to LW to be called anything but hommage (not just in chords but in vocal as well).
I don't think he stole from LW, as it'd be too plain obvious and stupid... ;)

As for Parisienne Walkways, I don't find any musical similarities at all! The chord structure and the vocal melody are worlds apart, the only thing that I find in common is some sort of a "blue mood"...
OTOH PW has THE SAME chord progressions as Still In Love With You and Still Got The Blues, Gary basically recycled the chords into 3 very similar, but nevertheless great songs.

p.s. greets to evereyone from a newb on this board :wavey:

Encore_God
05-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Gary Moore also used a similar formula for his fantastic instrumental 'Spanish Guitar'. I personally think that there's a lot of Roy Buchanan in songs like 'Still Got The Blues' and 'Parisienne Walkways'.

As for ripping things off, it's interesting to note that Randy Rhoads' solo on Ozzy's 'Mr Crowley' sounds incredibly similar to parts from Rainbow's 'Man on the Silver Mountain'.

What goes around, comes around ;)

Calum_Barrow
05-09-2007, 04:02 PM
There are loads of songs that sound similar. Listen to 'Let There Be More Light' by Pink Floyd, and then 'Taste In Men' by Placebo and tell me they aren't similar.

I highly doubt that Ritchie Blackmoore stole anything from Hendrix. He will have gotten ideas from LOADS of different places.

Page&HammettFan
05-09-2007, 04:15 PM

I was like, WTF?

Well besides that, your influences will just naturally show up in your music in some way or another, intentional or not. A lot of my compositions have had an uncanny resemblance to some earlier Rush material, which I've been extremely influenced by.

Master Shake
05-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Blackmore openly admits he was influenced by Hendrix's 'Little Wing' on this song but its nothing to be too concerened about IMO. He did 'borrow' a lot :p:

mercedesisbenz
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I've never heard this, where do you get your information from?

Edit: I know its wikipedia but... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wing
Edit2: Upon further research theres another theory that its about the Monterey Pop Festival, but I like the theory wikipedia gives more, it makes more sense. Searching trough about 10 pages of google still tells me Hendrix wrote it.

JustRooster
05-10-2007, 04:37 PM
The first time I heard the song, I immediatly keyed on the Little wing resemblence. I didn't say anything, I thought people would think I was crazy.