Indie Songs on Guitar

PDA

View Full Version : Indie Songs on Guitar

Do_the_dew910
01-06-2007, 09:15 PM
So, can anyone tell me some intermediate(or hell, even simple/basic as long as they sound ok) Indie or Alternative Songs I could learn on either acoustic/electric guitar? Thanks in advance!

sponj
01-06-2007, 09:19 PM
anything from interpol and most sonic youth (on proper tunning)

rhcpfan118
01-06-2007, 09:21 PM
brendan benson, i can't think of any off the top of my head...

unplugtheradio
01-06-2007, 09:24 PM
hmmm...i'd have to agree with sonic youth.

death cab is easy too...hmm...

neutral milk hotel

sponj
01-06-2007, 09:26 PM
hmmm...i'd have to agree with sonic youth.

death cab is easy too...hmm...

neutral milk hotel

oh there's tons of bands that are just chords, like NMH.

and death cab has some pretty mind****ing stuff on their first albums, I can't figure out some riffs from The Photo Album, and company calls isn't exactly an easy song.

hengler
01-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Chords for Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots are pretty simple but sound great
same goes for Libertines - Music When the Lights Go Out
two of my favourite acoustic songs there.

A lot of stuff by The Strokes too. Lead to 12:51 is cool without being too difficult, and Ize of the World too.

unplugtheradio
01-06-2007, 09:39 PM
oh there's tons of bands that are just chords, like NMH.

and death cab has some pretty mind****ing stuff on their first albums, I can't figure out some riffs from The Photo Album, and company calls isn't exactly an easy song.

well, i was assuming he would go out and find new DC, haha.

hmm....

maybe the cramps? no...they're no good.

ooohh.

blister on the sun - The Violent Femmes

some joy division.

Do_the_dew910
01-06-2007, 09:43 PM
well, i was assuming he would go out and find new DC, haha.

hmm....

maybe the cramps? no...they're no good.

ooohh.

blister on the sun - The Violent Femmes

some joy division.

I can play a few songs off of Transatlanticism, and I'm familiar with the old Dcfc, and a lot of the Indie scene in general, I've just hardly ever listened to it to find a song to learn on the guitar, and instead of listen to everything constantly evaluating weather or not I should try to learn it on the guitar, I thought it'd just be easier to ask the people who already knew :)

2xG
01-06-2007, 11:06 PM
If you're just looking to chord and sing along, Neutral Milk Hotel, Belle and Sebastian, Elliott Smith, Wilco, Tom Waits(sometimes), and Flaming Lips(sometimes), all work relatively well, for my vocal range, anyways.

Patches McGee
01-07-2007, 12:02 AM
A lot of post rock is pretty simple.

AWA
01-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Kind of Like Spitting's guitar parts are never too complex.

ROWYCO
01-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Radiohead- Optimistic

a perfect song for begginger

Goon
01-07-2007, 02:03 AM
I think the Smiths have some excellent songs to learn on guitar that can really help the progress of your playing (acoustic).

- Bigmouth Strikes Again
- Boy With the Thorn in His Side
- This Charming Man
- Just about any other Smiths song.

Also listen to lots of J. Mascis for furthur inspiration!!!

Rodders
01-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Biffy Clyro have a range of songs ranging from simple to fairly complicated on guitar... You could try some stuff by The Coral? If you want to go for the harder stuff, try some Oceansize or some Radiohead.

tezhall
01-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Some of the Bloc Party stuff is easy enough to pick up, tricky thing is that you really need two guitars to make it sound good, otherwise you get Russells part, or Keles part, and not both. So if you can get a mate, then go for Bloc Party :D - best I've found for sounding impressive without being a nightmare to learn was This Modern Love,

Pretty much any Embrace song is dead easy to pick up, but since everyone bar me hates them that's not such great advice :p: - also Shed 7 is decent, sounds good without being overly challenging, something like Ocean Pie for example...or if you want one that everyone knows and can sing along to, The Day We Caught The Train by Ocean Colour Scene is a floor filler classic.

I guess I'm still stuck mid-90's, all I ever learn are Britpop covers hahaa

Do_the_dew910
01-07-2007, 01:18 PM
good good...keep them coming :)

Abe
01-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I guess I'm still stuck mid-90's

You and me both Tez.

Uhh, you could try some Killers maybe. Mr Brightside's fairly easy, yet brilliant, although, to be fair, it's not that indie. I thought Interpol when I saw the thread.

somewhat_here
01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
some two gallants stuff is pretty fun to play and sing along to.

pumpkins_rule
01-07-2007, 04:01 PM
If you're just looking to chord and sing along, Neutral Milk Hotel, Belle and Sebastian, Elliott Smith, Wilco, Tom Waits(sometimes), and Flaming Lips(sometimes), all work relatively well, for my vocal range, anyways.

Elliott Smith is ****ing complex. He has all the weird chords.

grunge geek al
01-07-2007, 05:20 PM
we are scientists, arctic monkeys, some radiohead (e.g electionerring, optimistic),
sonic youth and feeder

paintITblack39
01-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Check out Airbag by Radiohead and Someday by the Strokes.

2xG
01-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Elliott Smith is ****ing complex. He has all the weird chords.

I've found a few of his songs that are acually quite easy, although it's true that he can get quite complicated :

Bottle up and Explode
Waltz #2 (XO)
Baby Britain

Those are the only ones I've learned, but there's probably a few more out there.

YoungPilgrim
01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
arcade fire, white stripes, black keys, deadboy & the elephant men