Tokyo Police Club

PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Police Club

astonmartin
01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.myspace.com/tokyopoliceclub

Their name sounds like the name of some lame nintendocore band that all the scene kids are obsesing over, so I ignored them for a couple weeks, I finaly decided to listen and I was blown away.

Godzilla1969
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I think they're decent, but nothing amazing. They don't have a very original sound; it's pretty much just cliche indie rock.

astonmartin
01-08-2007, 10:11 PM
but who doesnt love cliche indie rock? hahaha

Tsunoyukami
01-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I've only heard one song by them when I was flicking through channels and I saw them on MTV...they were pretty good. I believe it was called 'Nature of the Experiment', or something close to that.

I like them. I don't find them terribly original or outstanding, but I do admit they are good. I'm going to pick up the Ep sometime relativley soon.

Tsunoyukami
03-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I heard them on MTV again a few weeks ago - they played Citizens of Tomorrow.

I just picked up the EP! It's actually really really good - anyone else have the EP? I don't think it's the most original thing I've ever heard, but it's definitley worth a listen.

Surely there are at least a few other people who've heard of them? Offer up yout thoughts and comments and such.

fbtmof
03-13-2007, 06:58 PM
yeah they're ****in amazing, i saw them with cold war kids and it was one of the best shows ive been to

reissued
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
yeah i like them heard them on the radio here a while back. probably the only band who repeats there own name in their own song.

Tsunoyukami
03-15-2007, 09:00 PM
yeah i like them heard them on the radio here a while back. probably the only band who repeats there own name in their own song.

Aha, yeah - that's the first track on the EP. It's called 'Cheer It On'.

I can't remember which Nirvana song it is, but Kurt sings 'Nirvana' repeatedly.

sjada
03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
^paper cuts, right?

Tsunoyukami
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
^paper cuts, right?

I believe that is (probably) the one :) I need to listen to Bleach again - it's such an awesome album!

I'm just listening to this EP again...and it's a very nice quick listen - just over 16 minutes so you can fir it in at any time, but I really do enjoy it!

ghettohippygrrl
03-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Any indie band that uses fun keyboards is alright with me.

I am Samuel
03-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I went to their (first ever) UK show which was in here in Sheffield. I thought they were mediocre at best. Every song ended abruptly in the same way, it was as if they didn't know how to finish a song.

The singer clearly wants to be Julian Cassablancas.

uhh_me?
04-01-2007, 06:12 PM
i just saw them yesterday with cold war kids and i really wasn't all that impressed with them live, but i decided to give the ep a go anyway...i like it, it is a fun sixteen minutes of music

Tsunoyukami
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
I am Samuel: I do agree that all the songs end in a similar fashion and I can see where you draw the comparisons to Julian Cassablancas.

uhh me?: I agree, the EP isn't the best, but it's very relaxed and fun.

I think they hold some promise, but I would like to hear some more material before I draw that conclusion.

uhh_me?
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I am Samuel: I do agree that all the songs end in a similar fashion and I can see where you draw the comparisons to Julian Cassablancas.

uhh me?: I agree, the EP isn't the best, but it's very relaxed and fun.

I think they hold some promise, but I would like to hear some more material before I draw that conclusion.
if you are looking for more stuff by them they did a Daytrotter session. Look for it.
oh and I wouldn't say the EP is relaxed, its pretty high strung

Tsunoyukami
04-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Daytrotter? I've never heard of this - would you mind elaborating?

Well...I was using relaxed in a...err...yeah, I think my choice of words was poor :( aha

uhh_me?
04-03-2007, 01:30 AM
http://www.daytrotter.com/

trev_smith12
04-03-2007, 01:47 AM
http://www.myspace.com/tokyopoliceclub

Their name sounds like the name of some lame nintendocore band that all the scene kids are obsesing over, so I ignored them for a couple weeks, I finaly decided to listen and I was blown away.

hey astonmartin, are you on the arts & crafts board? I recognize your avatar.

uhh_me?
04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
hey astonmartin, are you on the arts & crafts board? I recognize your avatar.
his avatar is an akron/family album cover

trev_smith12
04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
ok yeah i didn't realize that. most likely not then.

Tsunoyukami
04-03-2007, 05:42 PM
http://www.daytrotter.com/

Whoa, I was totally unaware that this existed! Any other bands I should check on here while I'm searching around? *bookmarks*

uhh_me?
04-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Whoa, I was totally unaware that this existed! Any other bands I should check on here while I'm searching around? *bookmarks*
the one by (the) annuals is really good

Guitar_Dude777
05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I enjoyed "A lesson In Crime". I thought the lyrics were awesome, espeically in Citizens of Tomorrow. I listen to it often in the car or at school. And the drumming in Cheer It On! is fun!!!They are a must listen!!

Tsunoyukami
07-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Well (bringing this back now) any word on what they're doing?

I think that they're writing the full length album right now, if I do remember correctly. Also, I think they were criticized because "A Lesson in Crime" was so short.

shamu1001
07-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't say this about a lot of bands, but I really really dislike these guys. Maybe it's because I don't take them seriously, maybe it's because their music is unbearably primitive. Their MTV single is the most annoying thing I've heard in years.

Overall... No... just NO.

uhh_me?
07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
i hear they were signed to saddle creek...

Tsunoyukami
07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't say this about a lot of bands, but I really really dislike these guys. Maybe it's because I don't take them seriously, maybe it's because their music is unbearably primitive. Their MTV single is the most annoying thing I've heard in years.

Overall... No... just NO.

I can understand why you wouldn't like them, and I understand where you get the primitive idea about them. In honesty, they are very primitive.

Paris_In_Flames
07-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Yup. as of a couple of days ago.

Tsunoyukami
07-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Oh...well who is on Saddle Creek? I only know Bright Eyes.

uhh_me?
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
lots of bands
here is a list:
* Art in Manila
* Azure Ray
* Beep Beep
* Bright Eyes
* Broken Spindles
* Criteria
* Cursive
* Desaparecidos
* Eric Bachmann
* The Faint
* Georgie James
* The Good Life
* Ladyfinger (ne)
* Maria Taylor
* Mayday
* Neva Dinova
* Now It's Overhead
* Orenda Fink
* Son, Ambulance
* Sorry About Dresden
* Tokyo Police Club
* Two Gallants

Tsunoyukami
07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Would it be bad that I don't know of any of those bands with the exception of Azure Ray/Bright Eyes/Cursive/Tokyo Police Club?

Any specific bands on there that I should check out? I'm open to anything really.

frd_marshll
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
i am enjoying this

Something_Vague
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
They're really great, I got the EP...back in Feb. and I still listen to it.

Sadly their recent signing to Saddle Creek, which I consider a Major Label, will no doubt propell them to Interpol fame. As Trulyninja said, it's about two years before they blow up.

Oh well, they'll get big.

Tsunoyukami
07-25-2007, 03:29 PM
^ I agree. They're already fairly well known here in Toronto (home town) and the music is quite catchy.

The thing that I really don't like about the music is that the basslines are really boring and minimalistic.

Then again, I wasn't expecting him to be a Geddy Lee...:rolleyes: :p:

pumpkins_rule
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
They're already getting big, Nature of the Experiment has a considerable following here in Ottawa and their show at Bluesfest was packed. As for their music being primitive, it's pretty simple but I find it to be exceptionally tight, catchy and danceable.

Tsunoyukami
07-25-2007, 11:57 PM
They're already getting big, Nature of the Experiment has a considerable following here in Ottawa and their show at Bluesfest was packed. As for their music being primitive, it's pretty simple but I find it to be exceptionally tight, catchy and danceable.

I agree it is very catchy and danceable.

...I still don't like the basslines though >.<

K-Lizzle
07-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I quite enjoy them, yes.

uhh_me?
07-26-2007, 12:13 AM
i want a full length from them
i haven't listened to the ep in a while because i feel like i have fully digested it

ModestPixies16
07-26-2007, 01:47 AM
I just downloaded their EP and its pretty good, except some of their songs really mesh together and they're too short sometimes. But I think the production is really cool sounding, yes It does have an extremly "The Strokes" sound to it, but the guitar sounds are amazing sounding, and the drums have some really good production. Overall, 4 out of 5.

Guitar_Dude777
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Good news!!! They are recording!! Can't wait.....anybody hear their new song, "Your English is Good"? its good, check it out on their myspace.

Shine On...
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
"Your english is good" I quite like a lot. And I really think that the music video of it is great.

FoolOnThePlanet
10-26-2007, 10:41 PM
LOVE THEM.

NAture of the Expirement is my current favorite song. I LOVE TPC!!

frd_marshll
10-26-2007, 10:53 PM
i saw them the other day for the second time they're great
i've been listening to the ep a lot of the last month

FoolOnThePlanet
10-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Citizens of Tomorrow is ana amzing song as well. I just updated my TPC discography thanks to my new iTunes card.

sydbarrettsaves
11-03-2007, 10:42 PM
i have to admit that i didnt want to like them because they were already so popular.
but really they're pretty good. nothing strange or unusual, just some catchy stuff.
they're signed by dim mak right? no wonder they're so hip right now.

frd_marshll
11-04-2007, 03:48 PM
they are on saddle creek

sydbarrettsaves
11-04-2007, 03:57 PM
i stand corrected. i guess dj steve aoki's myspace confused me.
http://www.myspace.com/steveaoki

syngates07
11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
if your gonna look for a song by them start out wwith cherr it on.

goldmember1217
12-29-2007, 01:57 AM
They aren't life changing, but still awesome.

Tsunoyukami
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I need to get the Smith EP. I've been slacking off and not buying many discs lately (trying to conserve my money). Is it as good or better than A Lesson in Crime?

Shine On...
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I need to get the Smith EP. I've been slacking off and not buying many discs lately (trying to conserve my money). Is it as good or better than A Lesson in Crime?
It's quite good. I think it is worth the money. Box and Cut Cut Paste are great (then again so is A Lesson In Crime (the song)) and the remix of Be Good is interesting as well.

To be honest, I haven't watched the videos yet, but I thought it was well worth the investment.

someloudthunder
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
they're great, ive had the EP for ages and i still love it.
with the exception of 'your english is good,' the rest of their newer stuff sounds pretty bland, so i haven't been up to date on new recordings.

frd_marshll
01-03-2008, 05:41 AM
i was just going find this theard then bam here it is on the first page

well cut cut paste is one hell of a song and the lyrics are crazy good

pretty much i love this band they put and keep me in a good mood
i like to dance

Shine On...
01-03-2008, 11:54 PM
i was just going find this theard then bam here it is on the first page

well cut cut paste is one hell of a song and the lyrics are crazy good

pretty much i love this band they put and keep me in a good mood
i like to dance
I thought the lyrics of it were really good too.

I can't stop listening to them. I can't stop dancing either. :)

Tsunoyukami
01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/wintercity/concerts.htm#jan

This might interest any fans in the Toronto area. Free Show on January 26th.

Tsunoyukami
01-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I just saw them play Nathan Phillips Square for free this evening. It was really fun and energetic and they put on a good show.

I think I need to get the Smith EP very, very soon and if I see any of their singles in store I'm definitely going to get those too. I'm really eager to hear Elephant Shell when it is released.

frd_marshll
01-28-2008, 09:23 PM
the full length is suppose to come out in late april

oh and i got a lesson in crime on vinyl with cut cut paste as a bonus track

GeekUSA
01-29-2008, 01:21 AM
****ing amazing
Discovered them a few years ago

Tsunoyukami
01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
When I listen to Tokyo Police Club I can't help but wish I was better at tremelo picking. Unfortunately I haven't had much spare time recently because school work beckons and exams are this week. However, I plan on improving my ability next week.

I can't wait to hear Elephant Shell when it's released. I hope it is just as good as all their other material (which I expect it will be).

Seány
02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
There are videos of some tracks live up on youtube..
Elephant Shell, tessellate and the harrowing adventures are definently there.I have like 30 songs by them from demos and live stuff

frd_marshll
02-12-2008, 09:26 PM
they are on a huge tour and not coming to seattle lame

Shine On...
02-12-2008, 10:24 PM
But they are coming to Alberta, Canada? Weird. Oh well, I am totally going.

pumpkins_rule
02-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Well they ARE Canadian...

Shine On...
02-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Well they ARE Canadian...
Haha, TOTALLY lost sight of that! Now I just feel retarded!

FoolOnThePlanet
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Anyone get the new album??

It's very good. Kinda harder than the first one, but...good nonetheless.

Shine On...
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I anything I think it is more tame than the first one. Not as raw.

I like it though, there a few standout tracks and the others are good music as well. Mine came with a remix disc though, and frankly, the remixes are a little lame.

frd_marshll
05-02-2008, 12:42 AM
i heard it was alright
so im not running out to get it
i am going to see them in like 3 weeks
i ll pick up the LP if its 10 bucks

uhh_me?
05-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Elephant Shell is meh. there are better albums with "elephant" in the title (WHY?)

Shine On...
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Elephant Shell is meh. there are better albums with "elephant" in the title (WHY?)
Truth. That is a great album.

CoBasCis
05-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I really liked the Your English is Good / Swedes in Stockholm single, but didn't like A Lesson in Crime EP. I have yet to hear their new album, is it any good?

acdc101
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
^ Elephant Shell is good. I think A Lesson In Crime was better though, much more aggressive.
On A Lesson In Crime, each song was about 2 minutes long, in your face, driving.
Elephant Shell is a lot more laid back, with a lot of the songs showcasing Monks' vocals. But I like it, I'm glad they did something a little different.
I really want to see them live.

YAY_FOR_PIE
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I saw them at Lollapalooza last year and actually found them to be really boring and generic, they sound like 90% of the other indie music that's being put out right now.

#1 synth
06-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I saw them at a pretty intimate venue about a week or two ago, and they were pretty damn good.

Smoosh opened for them.

I felt creepy.

frd_marshll
06-05-2008, 01:07 AM
did you see them at neumos

i like smoosh for about the first 15 mintues then its just the same thing

Tsunoyukami
08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
So Elephant Shell wasn't as good as I had hoped it to be. It seemed as if it were lacking a lot of the energy that the EP had. There were some good tunes, but some of the weaker tracks seemed disposable...

I personally hope that whatever they're working on next is brimming with energy once again, while reserving the softer side for some tracks to create a much more dynamic sound.

-tempest-
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
new cd, champ, has been out for a while, its a lot different from elephant shell which i personally loved. anyways people interested should check it out, im enjoying it.

jiminizzle
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
i love the new one. frankenstein has been stuck in my head for weeks now

guitar_rules311
08-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I've been listening to a few of their songs recently and I'm really liking them. Which album should I get first?

FakeTalesOfSan
08-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I've been listening to a few of their songs recently and I'm really liking them. Which album should I get first?

it depends, which songs are you into atm?

guitar_rules311
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
it depends, which songs are you into atm?
I'm in to Wait Up (Boots of Danger) and Your English is Good.

Edit: I decided to check out Elephant Shell first and it's really good. I'm going to check out Champ soon.

SugarRush66
08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Always surprised that more people didn't like Elephant, it was really consistently good and had some great lyrics in there. But yeah, Crime EP was still better, and Champ's a pretty good cross between the two.

Favourite Food and Bambi gotta be the best on there for me

EDIT: Just on the basis of the name I went and listened to Smoosh ... holy hell are they ever catchy