Assembling an Album

PDA

View Full Version : Assembling an Album

Redfrontman
01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Well my band has 2 established, preformed originals. I have 8 more demos im going to run by the rest of my band. How many should we consider using? They are kinda all over the place genre wise as well. Should I stick to one genre and throw the others out?

Zuka
01-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, how dramatic of variety? Like 4 are metal, 2 are country, and the rest are just synthesizers?

Redfrontman
01-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Like most are punk, inculding the two weve played, 2 or 3 are very nirvana-y and I like to think one is a little proggy.

bmac85
01-08-2007, 10:01 PM
i say why not mix it up...albeit most people will not like the album as a whole if it jumps around too much, but as long as you stick to rock, hard bands can pull even some acoustic songs on an album every once in awhile

bite_the_bullet
01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
that actually sounds like a cool mix, unless the prog one is REALLY prog.

yawn
01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I'd say diversify it even more.

Zuka
01-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I say use them all. Be unique, something that is becoming harder and harder to do these days.

Dutch_Apples
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
If you are a completely unknown band. I would record just 3-5 songs and make sure they are your best. As far as track order, ALWAYS but your best song first if you are sending it to someone important. If you are dead set on recording all the songs, I would just make an EP first of the 3-5, then you can do something creative like "myspace" only songs or A small EP of songs that are only sold at live shows to get people to come out.

Scourge441
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Try to stick with one genre (you wouldn't want to go from, say, death metal to bluegrass), since trying to cover a bunch of genres will alienate your fanbase.

However, feel free to mix it up a bit.

ar73m
01-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Too much variety is just as bad as not enough variety, so watch out for that... And as for 10 songs for a demo, I'd say that's a little too much. Just like everyone else said, 3-5 songs is plenty for your demo, and you could keep the rest like a 'special' disk that's only sold at shows or w/e.

yawn
01-09-2007, 05:12 AM
Meh, I like plenty of variety. If you have enough punk songs to be able to say "most" are of that genre, then I wouldn't think that's being too diverse.

METSOAD
01-09-2007, 04:05 PM
use them all, my band plays a mix of modern rock, metal, blues, epic southern rock and prog

Animeguy
01-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Well the way i see it, that's a good lineup.

Start with your most "poppy" and marketable. That hooks people
continue with something rockin' to keep it going
3rd song should be slower or more complex
4th can be whatever you want (not slow)
5th should be Hard
6th Rockin
7th MAKE THIS ONE AMAZING!
8th Keep the amazingness going!

Dutch_Apples
01-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Well the way i see it, that's a good lineup.

Start with your most "poppy" and marketable. That hooks people
continue with something rockin' to keep it going
3rd song should be slower or more complex
4th can be whatever you want (not slow)
5th should be Hard
6th Rockin
7th MAKE THIS ONE AMAZING!
8th Keep the amazingness going!

I've always wondered why the 7th track on CDs is usually the best. Maybe it's good luck?

z4twenny
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
i'd say use'em all, my first demo was a mix of metal/classical/blues/industrial/techno basically and everybody who listened to it thought it sounded very original and fit together very well as an album in whole. however the reason being one song had 2-3 out of that mix, then another might have 4 out of that mix, then another might have all of them. i say if all your songs are different then thats great, use'em all. however i would like to put that there does need to be a tie in ie, one song should not be a slow jazzy acoustic number, then a black metal song for the next one, then a bluegrass number for the 3rd one, then a prog metal for the fourth one unless of course they're all tied together by a similar sound, ie jazz or blues of classical, something like that, see where im going with this?

spiritinthesky9
01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
put the songs in order so that it doesn't switch from a punk song to an acoustic or something. put all tjhe similar genre ones in one place on the cd. and try to mix the areas where the genre switches with a mixed genre song so a more punky prog song in between the punk part and the prog part u know.

greendayguitar
01-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Why not record all of them onto one CD, ask some of your friends to listen to them , and get them to tell you the 3-5 they think are the best, and if you agree, put those 3-5 on a demo.

Colohue
01-13-2007, 04:46 PM
In my opinion it's all about how each song flows into the next. I agree with best one first, but you also need to end on a definate high. Ultimately pick two that are too similar and stick them far apart, then concentrate on using different styles and genres, having each song flowing nicely into the next until you connect them.

MusicalMinority
01-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I say group them together depending on genre and flow.

It's kind of like nimrod., chock-full of diversity but well organized.

Except for King For a Day. That one doesn't belong on nimrod., imo.