ok band problems metal band

PDA

View Full Version : ok band problems metal band

GOD*OF*ROCK
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
ok so im the lead guitarist of my band. what im trying to do is just be THE guitarist for my band. cause i have a rhythm guitarist who turns out to be my best friend. and oh my god he's terrible. i mean i come up with all the crazy riffs and he cant even play them fast enough. all im doing is palm muting and drop D riffs in one of our songs and he cant even do that. so you get my point. well the band was my drummers idea. and hes pretty good in my opinion, and he asked me in school to find a rhythm guitarist. and my friend was sitting there and overheard and talked about his dimebag guitar and all this crap he has. so we just let him join. now we have a few great songs, but everytime we play my friend just ruins it cause he cant play as good as me. and one time i told him to put his guitar down and me and the drummer played and we sounded so kickass.

so today me and my friend were talking in lunch and he started to talk about music videos and t-shirts and i was just sitting there like, " ok dude WTF are you talking about were nowhere NEAR that yet. " he thinks WAY too far ahead. and he was actually serious about that.

so today the only thing I can think of is how the hell do i get him out of the band so me and the drummer can continue? he's my best friend and I sit with him everyday during lunch ( were 16 ) and I know he's going to flip.

Zar Mulix
01-09-2007, 08:30 PM
make him a temporary bassist (not that i think bass is a demotion)
that way he doesn't feel bad (or not that bad), you can have another rhthym guitarist (if you find one) and you will now have a bassist.

GOD*OF*ROCK
01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
make him a temporary bassist (not that i think bass is a demotion)
that way he doesn't feel bad (or not that bad), you can have another rhthym guitarist (if you find one) and you will now have a bassist.

yeah i know but we already have a bassist and hes pretty good too. see thats my point. everone can play their instrument really good except him. and that will make him feel like an outcast. and thats why im asking this. or else I probably would've done that.

pinky_demon
01-09-2007, 08:36 PM
say you are breaking up the band, and then get back together and just say that you only need one guitarist, but he can get back in it if be becomes the bassist

mw7
01-09-2007, 08:40 PM
get another guitarist, and turn down the volume on his amp

z4twenny
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
tell him to either practice and get his sh!t together or you'll need to find someone who can keep up.

brokenwizard
01-09-2007, 08:42 PM
dude i've had this problem, fortunately for me the band broke up and i never had to deal with it.

If he really is your best friend then he should get over it. I would forgive my best friend if he explained to me in a nice way that i sucked and was holding the band back. So i guess the real judgment is how good a friend is he really?

(edit) I know that sounds really problem pageish but it really is the best advice i can give you, and will be neccasary if you really care about the band.

Salzary
01-09-2007, 08:43 PM
say you are breaking up the band, and then get back together and just say that you only need one guitarist, but he can get back in it if be becomes the bassist

No, don't do this. Be a man, and tell him that he is not good enough to be in the band. You don't have to be mean, just tell him that the rest of the band feels that his skills on guitar are just not up to par with the rest of you. If you do it behind his back, it will end your friendship and will make you look like an asshole. Just man up and tell hiim to his face. Who knows, maybe in a few months he'll come back after practicing and be good enough.

brokenwizard
01-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Just man up and tell hiim to his face. Who knows, maybe in a few months he'll come back after practicing and be good enough.

yeah +1 to that, then he will appreaciate being in the band even more too

Metaphysics
01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
^ affirmative, man up. you can never go wrong by becoming more of a man. and even if your best friend deserts you, a) you'll be in a sweet band and b) it'll build character.

MusicalMinority
01-09-2007, 08:49 PM
No, don't do this. Be a man, and tell him that he is not good enough to be in the band. You don't have to be mean, just tell him that the rest of the band feels that his skills on guitar are just not up to par with the rest of you. If you do it behind his back, it will end your friendship and will make you look like an asshole. Just man up and tell hiim to his face. Who knows, maybe in a few months he'll come back after practicing and be good enough.
+1'd.

Tell him that his guitaring isn't good enough for the band yet and that if he wants to be part, he'll need to practice and earn his way into the band. Do it nicely, and he'll still be your friend.

If he gets angry or something, that's normal and expected. Just wait for him to cool down. If he's a real friend, he'll forgive you and practice if he really wants to be in the band.

Corpse_Defier
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
+3

GOD*OF*ROCK
01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
ok i guess ill do that. thx guys

Arkane
01-09-2007, 08:56 PM
i hate the word guitaring. just tell the poser that he sucks.

GiantRaven
01-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I just think you should tell him

No bullshit, just tell it straight

deathmetalboy
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
kick that kid's ass and say "come back when u dont suck"... in the meantime get another guitarist like me, very fassssst shredder!

Blompcube
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
ok so im the lead guitarist of my band. what im trying to do is just be THE guitarist for my band. cause i have a rhythm guitarist who turns out to be my best friend. and oh my god he's terrible. i mean i come up with all the crazy riffs and he cant even play them fast enough. all im doing is palm muting and drop D riffs in one of our songs and he cant even do that. so you get my point. well the band was my drummers idea. and hes pretty good in my opinion, and he asked me in school to find a rhythm guitarist. and my friend was sitting there and overheard and talked about his dimebag guitar and all this crap he has. so we just let him join. now we have a few great songs, but everytime we play my friend just ruins it cause he cant play as good as me. and one time i told him to put his guitar down and me and the drummer played and we sounded so kickass.

so today me and my friend were talking in lunch and he started to talk about music videos and t-shirts and i was just sitting there like, " ok dude WTF are you talking about were nowhere NEAR that yet. " he thinks WAY too far ahead. and he was actually serious about that.

so today the only thing I can think of is how the hell do i get him out of the band so me and the drummer can continue? he's my best friend and I sit with him everyday during lunch ( were 16 ) and I know he's going to flip.

Hmm... yeah... A good friend of mine wanted to sing but he doesn't have the vocal range to do much... i just offered him the job as a bodyguard, he's much more suited to that.