King Crimson

PDA

View Full Version : King Crimson

Maet
01-10-2007, 02:15 AM
I've just downloaded "In the court of King Crimson" by King Crimson from 1969, and I'm quite impressed. It's quite intriguing for me to hear a song from the sixties that has Dream Theater like rhythm qualities and a Rush sound (I thought 7/8 time was invented in 1974 :p: ). I intend to download more, but alas, where do I start?

Any recommendations?

Edit -- I recall the Recommendations thread at the top of the page, so allow me to rephrase inadequately...

King Crimson = awesome (so far). Discuss. :)

Lost_Rose
01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
They are one of my all time favourite bands! Saw them in London last year absolutly mind blowing

Cptbeefheart
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
King Crimson is awesome. Robert Fripp is one of the most talented guitarists to ever live. Check out Red and Discipline for more Crimson excellence.

psychodelia
01-10-2007, 01:04 PM
What can I say? Second favorite prog group ever. Wonderful stuff.

I happen to like Red and Larks Tongues in Aspic, they lean a bit more towards metal, however.

You may also want to consider early albums like Lizard and Wake of Poseidon (I prefer Lizard). King Crimson's albums are always different, so at the least they should surprise you.

rx_eb
01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I've just downloaded "In the court of King Crimson" by King Crimson from 1969, and I'm quite impressed. It's quite intriguing for me to hear a song from the sixties that has Dream Theater like rhythm qualities and a Rush sound (I thought 7/8 time was invented in 1974 :p: ). I intend to download more, but alas, where do I start?

Any recommendations?

Edit -- I recall the Recommendations thread at the top of the page, so allow me to rephrase inadequately...

King Crimson = awesome (so far). Discuss. :)

:cheers: for listening to King Crimson

like Cptbeefheart said, Red or Discipline but before those, which are their more experimental ones

In The Wake Of Poseidon's and Larks' Tongues In Aspic's (my avatar) sound is similar to In the court of king crimson and are better recommendations

then you can move into their heavier more experimental stuffs like Starless And Bible Black, Discipline, Red, Beat....

(talking about DT, imo Fripp > Petrucci, Levin > Myung, Bruford > Portnoy :D and instrumentally King Crimson is better than Rush)

timmEH
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
king crimson is amazing...but better than rush??? perhaps....perhaps not.....

i really like 21st century shizoid man :)
and i love how fripp refuses to let king crimson be called prog rock

TheHeartbreaker
01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
In the Wake of Poseidon is amazing. Great album.

I'm glad, Maet, that you have come to realize that there are other good Classic Rock bands apart from Rush.

I'm proud of you. :golfclap:

Maet
01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I never said that there weren't (or don't recall doing so consciously at least), I just maintained that the good ones are few and far between. :p:

And to rx, I'm skeptical as to whether or not I'll enjoy King Crimson as much as I do Rush and DT, but we shall see.

At the current moment, Liquid Tension Experiment for the win. :)

get-born
01-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I only have their self-titled as well, but are they great! Robert Fripp is super talented, and any band with Bill Bruford in it dereves some recognition.

lexhibit
01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I agree on RED & IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDION

...but the best Crimson for me by far is STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK
& ISLANDS The guitar work in Fracture & The Sailor's Tale has got to be heard to be believed.

TheHeartbreaker
01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I only have their self-titled as well, but are they great! Robert Fripp is super talented, and any band with Bill Bruford in it dereves some recognition.

I don't think that they had a self-titled... :confused:

Perhaps I am (greatly) mistaken.

Cptbeefheart
01-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Maybe he means "In the Court of the Crimson King?"

ferchersan
01-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Which Crimson records does Adrian Belew play on? Or did he only tour with them?

Jesse Mrau
01-11-2007, 01:52 AM
...but the best Crimson for me by far is STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK
This my favortie out of the bunch. It's lesser known, but it kicks ass.

^Any album from 1981 onwards.

LKW
01-11-2007, 06:23 AM
I love King Crimson. Personal favorite albums are Red, Discipline, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Starless And Bible Black, In The Court Of... and their more recent work is nice too, they've always kept a fresh and modern sound and are one of the few prog bands that have stayed true to the word "progressive" throughout their entire existence. And they've had a big influence on bands today. It's been compared to Rush and Dream Theater, but you can also hear their influence in bands like Tool and of course modern prog bands like Porcupine Tree.

I think he's on everything they've done since Discipline. So that also includes albums like Beat, Three Of A Perfect Pair, Thrak, The Power To Believe and a few more.
[vid of Elephant Talk from the album Discipline (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZbOdgevxDE)]

TheHeartbreaker
01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Maybe he means "In the Court of the Crimson King?"

Perhaps, but isn't self-titled.

Maet
01-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Anyone have torrents for Red, Discipline, Bible Black and Poseidon since I'm too lazy to search myself then?

Cptbeefheart
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM

He played on Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair.

psychodelia
01-12-2007, 02:18 AM
He played on Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair.

I think he also plays on Power to Believe, which I have.

I didn't like Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, but I haven't listened in years... I think I'll do that this weekend.

streetcarp19
01-12-2007, 02:43 AM
I didn't like Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, but I haven't listened in years... I think I'll do that this weekend.Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the albums, but the DVD 'Neal and Jack and Me' I thought really made some of the songs on them come alive. Belew has a very entertaining stage presence.

lexhibit
01-12-2007, 07:31 AM
I didn't like Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, but I haven't listened in years... I think I'll do that this weekend.
I didn't like Beat either, but I played it recently and it sounded a lot better than I remembered it sounding back then.

LKW
01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
It's not really a favorite of mine either. But there's one thing that we can probably all agree on about Beat: It has the cheapest looking album cover ever.

http://www.lyrics.com/k/king.crimson/beat.jpg

The_Yoki
01-12-2007, 12:06 PM
(I thought 7/8 time was invented in 1974 :p: )

Pink Floyd - Money - 1973 :p:

But yeah, KC is quite good... unfortunately I've got nothing of them, so I can't listen to it when I want to :(

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 11:57 AM
It's not really a favorite of mine either. But there's one thing that we can probably all agree on about Beat: It has the cheapest looking album cover ever.

http://www.lyrics.com/k/king.crimson/beat.jpg

:haha

rx_eb
01-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Pink Floyd - Money - 1973 :p:

But yeah, KC is quite good... unfortunately I've got nothing of them, so I can't listen to it when I want to :(

www.leantop.com ;)

and Money's time signature is 7/4 my friend

shining
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
"Red" and "In the Court of the Crimson King" are both amazing albums. If you like King Crimson you should also check out ELP.

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer! :headbang:

So many of these Progressive Rock bands are intertwined with members.