Why jumbo frets?

PDA

View Full Version : Why jumbo frets?

sethp
01-11-2007, 09:49 AM
every description i read about guitars list jumbo frets. why? what's so good about jumbo frets? and as opposed to what? mini frets?

sashki
01-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Jumbo frets, supposedly, make it easier to bend and do vibratos on cos there's more surface. I dunno how that helps, though. Also, if your frets are taller, then there's less distance you have to push your string down, so you can play faster. At least that's what's meant to happen.

It's all a matter of preference, really. I like Medium frets.

hylian_231
01-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Easier bends and you dont have to press down harder.

jj1565
01-11-2007, 10:01 AM
well if u press too hard with jumbo frets, you get a sharp note. so it takes an easy touch. also, if u like fast runs up and down the neck, it takes some getting used to.

but if u like the feel, then jumbo frets give u more room beterr the fret top and the wood board, they mimic a scalloped feel, and allow u to grip the string better for bending and other techniques.

sashki
01-11-2007, 11:07 AM
What's the point in scalloping? I never understood that. I make it even harder to play, and I have a feeling that all your notes will sound sharp cos you push the string down too far.

jj1565
01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
you force urself not to mash the frets. get a lighter touch, might make u a faster player if u like that technique.

plus like said, gives u room to grip the string.

some guys hate it. some dont. sometimes u only scallop the higher frets. all preference.

beero
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
about jumbo frets ... i don't think it has to do sth with easiness of pressing on string ... but for sure u can playing hard solos and crazy chords easier especially if ur fingers and not small ( for normal frets )...get it ...Xjumbo are even easier ..after all depending on u ..play each and u'll feel the difference ...!!

Punk2Guitar
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I like jumbo frets....especially barre chords... make it quite easier.

and I haven't got such big hands...maybe that's why i like them too , but uhm ...with small frets i tend to make it less cleaner sounding then with Jumbo frets... which makes me like them :) I believe it makes tapping also a bit better/easier.

Right now I got medium frets...but my new guitar has jumbo's

xtopher_aaron
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
big hands, small hands, sweaty hands. .whatever hands you have, Jumbo frets make your playing so much nicer and easier.. i was once a curious lad like yourself, till i got me an Ibanez with Jumbo's.. i was worried about it being difficult to play and wat not..

after a week of getting used to, i say i play much easier, smoother and faster than before.. so yea.. +1 Jumbo frets

jj1565
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
^seriously that's great foru. but that doesnt change the fact that some guys dont like jumbo frets.

so it's really best if everyone says, if They like the option and let him decide what's best for him.

cloud041089
01-11-2007, 04:18 PM
The one thing I don't like about jumbo frets is how I have to stretch my fingers in order to do some chords.... pain in the ass.

Guitargod12345
01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Your fingers are higher from the fretboard so it makes it easier to bend without bending sharp, and you can play faster.

xtopher_aaron
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
^seriously that's great foru. but that doesnt change the fact that some guys dont like jumbo frets.

so it's really best if everyone says, if They like the option and let him decide what's best for him.

well yea, it is great for me.. i said it because it was good for me, i had my doubts at first, but it turned out alright. Of course everyone has their own opinions, likes and dislikes, it ultimately down to the player. Personal preference has much to do with it. I was just giving me two cents is all..

Peace!

dimebag4eva
01-11-2007, 05:15 PM
The one thing I don't like about jumbo frets is how I have to stretch my fingers in order to do some chords.... pain in the ass.

umm not sure if ur being sarcastic or wat but u have to stretch ur fingers using any frets dumbass

AtrumArx
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
My LTD has Extra Jumbo and I like them alot.

Dardarian
01-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Has a lot to do with the size of your hands and personal preference. Since I started on classical guitar I've always liked bigger frets and because my fingers are rather thick (well not really thick but not skinny either) I love the XJumbo frets on my electric guitar. Another benefit is that the strings are easier to bend (more room between the wood of the fretboard and the top of the frets) and because the strings are spaced further appart you are less likely to accidentaly hit another strings when doing all sorts of crazy bending/tapping/vibrato etc.

Invictious
01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
It seems to simulate a scalloped guitar, but on a much shallower extent.

Suicidal_Brick
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
XJ are great. Jumbo's are great. I usulally play Jumbo's because I like the scalloped feel.

steven seagull
01-11-2007, 08:27 PM

Jumbo frets refers to the size of the fretwire...not the spacing between the frets!

idontgivakrap
01-11-2007, 10:11 PM
can anyone post a pic of jumbo frets and medium/smaller sized frets side by side?

jj1565
01-11-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=fretsize

sssteve72
07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/FretSize.aspx

Just an updated link. The last one didn't work for me.

metalter
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I am very much fond of jumbo frets, extra jumbo is even better but you have to get used to it. bending and vibrato is easier, that's the prime advantage. its annoying that the finger is in friction with the fret-space. its a matter of preference however and depends on the style of music too.

ColdGin
08-01-2010, 06:34 AM
- Like wide tires slide more easily on snow than narrow tires, bending is easier with jumbo frets vs narrow frets.

- it's also easier to bend higher notes on jumbo frets

- jumbo frets last much longer than narrow frets in those often played open chord positions

- of course, jumbo frets makes playing thicker gauge (> 0.010) strings easier

- jumbo frets are more expensive to change/maintain because they require a lot more and harder work to crown

- jumbo frets require more care when fretting chords to apply just the right amount of pressure on the strings: it's easy to "overpress" strings on jumbo frets and go sharp. Not pretty in arpeggios.

- genreally easier to mute strings on necks with narrow frets than jumbo frets.

Edit:

It slapped me in the face yesterday while rehearsing, so obvious it was,

- with jumbo frets, finger placement is almost anywhere between the fret of the note you want to play, and the fret above, while with narrow frets, it's about 1/8"-1/4" above the fret of the note you want to play and below a line that divides that fretspace in half,

- with jumbo frets, you can pressure on a string(s) can be from almost any direction, which makes 5 or 6 string barred chords a lot easier to play, regarding wrist and finger placement and wrist angle, while with narrow frets, pressure on strings really has to be exercised with a lot more precision, vertically, from above.

- finally, to make a note ring out, with jumbo frets, just pressing the note against the fret with the meat of your finger makes it ring fully out, while with narrow frets, you really have to use your fingertips to get the direction of the finger pressure right (vertical) to make the note ring out.

haceteunosmates
08-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Well many answered your question but I got another..

What's the difference between jumbo frets and really low action? You'd have to press very little with a low action, same than with jumbo frets :confused:

AcousticMirror
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM
i don't like jumbo frets at all.

jpnyc
08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Jumbo frets keep the high strings from contacting the fretboard which makes itit much easier to get a smooth, clean tone. This is why they make bending and vibrato easy for leads. And combined with really heavy strings one’s fingers can really fly around on jumbo frets while generating less unwanted noise, so they really kick ass for downtuned rhythm playing with fat strings.

guitarwalrus
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Bigger frets mean you have to press less and you can play faster.

Hidden Hippo
08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I personally love the feel of jumbo frets. I find them so much easier to play on than a medium fret and far simpler to manage big bends.

Blompcube
08-01-2010, 01:06 PM
What's the point in scalloping? I never understood that. I make it even harder to play, and I have a feeling that all your notes will sound sharp cos you push the string down too far.
It's not as easy to do that as you might think. Especially on the high frets. I played my friend's strat which he had the higher frets scalloped and really, it was very hard to "over-fret" the notes..

dr_john
08-01-2010, 04:41 PM
a friend of mine has jumbo frets on his strat, i really can't get on with them when i play his guitar. i just find it difficult especially with chords, as you really have to concentrate on getting an even downward pressure on all strings, otherwise it can sound very 'out of tune'.

maybe if i were to persevere a little i might start to appreciate some benefits, but i can't see why i should bother when i am perfectly happy with regular size frets.

LowEndSlacker
08-01-2010, 08:23 PM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that "Jumbo" has become a marketing buzz word. The majority of common fret shapes and sizes are now called jumbo. The term doesn't refer to only one particular size or one particular shape.

ColdGin
08-02-2010, 06:06 AM
"Jumbo" frets are nowhere to being new. Late 50ies Gibson Les Paul were already fitted with "medium Jumbo" fretwire.

Everything you always wanted to know about fretwire but never thought of asking...

http://www.lutherie.net/fret.chart.html

http://www.warmoth.com/Assets/ProductImages/FW6105.jpg

http://www.lutherie.net/dunlop.fretwire.chart.old.simple.jpg

CyanideOverkill
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.tv-media.nl/mediumjumbo.jpg

http://www.dccustomguitars.com/images/dc_custom_guitars_scalloped_necks_rosewood_maple.jpg

Spud Spudly
05-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I like how the chart says "Extra High for Rock & Roll".