practice clean or with distortion?

PDA

View Full Version : practice clean or with distortion?

cloudsquall17
01-12-2007, 05:07 AM
ive always practiced with distorition mostly(except when i warm up) and i was wondering if you guys have had any experience with practicing clean for your whole routine. just wondering if it's more benificial to practice clean than with distortion? thanks.

henza_x
01-12-2007, 05:20 AM
id say its more ebneficial playing with distortion because u have to mute out notes

FretboardToAsh
01-12-2007, 05:31 AM
imo practicing with the guitar not plugged in is the most efficient, the tones will get in your head and you won't be disturbed by the noise of the distortion.
you'll hear every mistake, and every note should be hit evenly cause hammers will result in annoying overtones that the pickup doesn't reproduce since it's on the other half of the string.

of course the person above me is right as well, so try that when your technique is right.

Resiliance
01-12-2007, 05:33 AM
I think the best way is in between. A slight amount of gain, with bass and mids at 0 and highs at 10 and bridge pickup. That way you're able to hear the things you can on clean while combining it with the ability to hear string noise and all the other nasty things gain brings.

bluespunkmetal
01-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Practicing with low gain is actually harder bro........ you're gonna try to make all the notes sound the same, buzzless, screechless, without the help of gain compression.......

Stratwizard
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Both of course. Not too much gain though so you can still hear dynamics.

madpickin03
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Less distortion, less enough to not cover up my mistakes/slopiness but enough to make the tone delightable and attractive.

Usually i just leave my amp/pedal settings as it is, just roll down the volume knob a bit.

Doodleface
01-12-2007, 10:58 PM
i practice clean all the way, with too much distortion, you miss things and you tend to blame alot of your noise and things on feedback etc. when you really hit something you werent supposed to.

PooKoo
01-13-2007, 12:58 AM
practice unplugged.
Or acoustic.

VaiSatchLaiho
01-13-2007, 02:22 AM
I do exercies on my acoustic, so they are harder because the string gauge and action are both higher. That way, there is no amp tone to worry about. Also, when I pick up my electric, everything is easier because I've conditioned my fingers.

cloudsquall17
01-13-2007, 04:57 AM
yeah i do acoustic to strengthen my fingers but i find my accuracy can get too lost in the ringing of the warm tone of my acoustic. kind of tricking my ears heh. my picking attack is a little too hard to play unplugged. my ears tend to concentrate less on accuracy then, rather it makes the notes and runs blur together. im thinking of practicing clean all the way and just using distortion as a treat/reward. im hoping it pays off. thanks for all the input and help.

Scorzerci
01-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Both. I used to almost only play unpugged and when I plugged in and turned up the distortion my playing was a disaster because of all the unwanted string noise that I wasn't used to.

eviledge87
01-13-2007, 08:49 PM
i always practiced scales, drills exercises (my warm up practice including all those takes me between 1-2 hours) either unplugged, clean or acoustic. i play songs with distortion (as that's the way they're written) but having distortion on while warming/practicng scales and whatnot can cover mistakes. Although if you can play with no buzzing/screeching then don't worry about it. A friend recommended playing unplugged because it forces you to pick louder (especially if you're watching seinfeld which he also recommended).

AMGram
01-13-2007, 09:57 PM
If you can't practice right cleanly, then you aren't doing it right period. Distortion and effects hide mistakes.

bluespunkmetal
01-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Heh..... try SWEEP PICKING on a mild dist setting....... hi enough to add STRING NOISE... bot low enought so there is NO COMPRESSION....

You'll learn the true difficulty of SWEEPPICKING !! kvlt rulez !

AdamDK
01-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I practice most stuff on clean, to find out my mistakes, except I practice Sweeping on Distortion.

Freepower
01-14-2007, 07:56 PM
I think the best way is in between. A slight amount of gain, with bass and mids at 0 and highs at 10 and bridge pickup. That way you're able to hear the things you can on clean while combining it with the ability to hear string noise and all the other nasty things gain brings.

Yowch.

And i'm shocked at how everyone else seems to practice with an amp... weird.

TinTin8
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Yowch.

And i'm shocked at how everyone else seems to practice with an amp... weird.
nothing wrong w/ practising on clean ...
i think most people practise unplugged though, and then jamm for fun w/ the amp

Resiliance
01-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Yowch.

Is that a yes or is that a no?

And if it is a no... Why the **** not?

sock_demon
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't use an amp to practice, I plug in when I jam

hamish5178
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
If you want to get better faster, you should practice unplugged, or at least clean.

The distortion covers your mistakes, and makes you sound better. So once you sound good unplugged, you'll pwn with your amp on.

tasty_lick
01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Practice on clean all the way..........after your done practiceing thendo whatever the hell you like !

Freepower
01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Is that a yes or is that a no?

And if it is a no... Why the **** not?

Neither, it's a "That tone would hurt mine ears". And i'm not sure what the yes no question is, but i don't often practice with distortion or gain of sorts as my amp is in the coldest room in the house, and it's pretty nasty in winter - thats how i ended up busting my wrist last year about this time, playing stretch licks in the cold. Not clever.

Meh, i'll go try it now, but i rather like to at least enjoy my tone when i practice...

Resiliance
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Neither, it's a "That tone would hurt mine ears". And i'm not sure what the yes no question is, but i don't often practice with distortion or gain of sorts as my amp is in the coldest room in the house, and it's pretty nasty in winter - thats how i ended up busting my wrist last year about this time, playing stretch licks in the cold. Not clever.

Meh, i'll go try it now, but i rather like to at least enjoy my tone when i practice...

That's the thing, practicing isn't playing. You should have clear-cut goals whenever you go practice. That way, you don't think of your tone, as you're too busy working on what you know you should be doing :p:

And rest assured, I don't practice like that either, but I do think that is the most efficient way for technique, see reasons previously described.

Freepower
01-15-2007, 04:09 PM
^ it turned out to be vaguely non awful. Or alternatively, as awful as my normal tone, so i didn't really notice. I'd find a bad tone distracting though, as in, really distracting. And i find it hard enough to really concentrate for practice tbh. Although these are partially excuses, i do think i'm fine with the current awful tones i practice with, although i'll add this one in when i sit down with my amp every few million years.

Speaking of which, my fingers HURT. Just been doing some quite OTT practice for the last 3 or 4 hours. Ouch.

Erich yeung
01-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Practising unplugged gets you the same problem as playing on clean. If youre a metal player, practise on distortion, like sick distortion, so you can mute efficiently. Then practise your precision and accuracy on clean or unplugged. Muting is a huge part of shredding and playing metal, so you should get used to playing with a high gain tone, and be constantly rolluing and muting your fingers. I donno just the way i used to do it. My accuracy and precision is fine now so i usually practise with my metal tone on, so i can work on muting.

metalmaster362
01-15-2007, 10:36 PM
usually ill get it perfect at a tempo clean, and then ill get it perfect distorted, and then ill move upo when the both perfect

Axegrinder#9
01-18-2007, 05:29 AM
do what you like, as long as it sounds good, it probably is pretty alright.

xxdarrenxx
01-18-2007, 05:56 AM
i've got something which helps alot: practice always with the bridge pickup. Cause the neck-pup hides alot of shit especially alt. picking runs and sweeps.

les_paul_01
01-18-2007, 06:07 AM
i practice clean, just because it's the true sound and i can figure out what's wrong there.

for example, one time i was playing with distortion and it sounded fine and dandy, then when i went to clean i discovered all the time my top E string had been out by half a semitone, which i guess goes to show how much it masks your sound.

cloudsquall17
01-18-2007, 06:11 AM
yeah i got evo in the bridge to keep me in check. ive been practicing clean for a week now, im starting to get used to it. ive found i can focus better musically without worrying about accomodating distortion

xxdarrenxx
01-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Just practice both period.