Cool stage things with bass

PDA

View Full Version : Cool stage things with bass

Carreras
01-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Okay so this is the thread for how to get a bit of spice for the onstage part of bass playing..
Like spinning your bass around you or stuff like that everything goes.

P.S Of course things possible.

IndieMetalhead
01-12-2007, 09:22 AM
look cool. i stand there, and look cool

:cool:

:haha

GiantRaven
01-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Er...I play it...

thecunningrunts
01-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Spread legs out reli far like mike dirnt,
Fling bass forward a bit so it looks like im throwing it at ppl =P
Jump to the beat.
Play behind head..yes i did that once..ppl went nuts

RHCP-baSs fan
01-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I haven't been on stage............ yet, but when my band practices i walk around and jump up and down and when im not playing i mess around with the drummer's symbols with the neck of my bass it's funny.

Applehead
01-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Cool is not what you do, it's just the way you are. Spinning your bass wont do shit if you look like Bill Gates. I find the coolest thing to do is lay down a fat groove. If people arent bopping their heads when they hear your bassline and a drum beat then you're not cool.

SSDDPunkRocker
01-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Personally, when I'm a spectator, I just love when the bass is loud enough to feel like I'm going to vomit out of my ears, so like, insane. It's not all stage presence, you just have to show your enthusiasm.

Carreras
01-12-2007, 11:06 AM
LOL... of course you play the bass and i do not look like bill gates.
doing stuff on stage feraks ppl out and they get all nuts.

If you just stand and play then your not worth the stage.

talentsix
01-12-2007, 12:02 PM
I go crazy on stage, I jump around and throw my bass over my shoulders. It\'s just my way of getting into the song and getting the crowd psyched. I\'m in a Pop Punk band so that\'s another reason, the type of music sort of calls for it.

Though I just did a show at my school where we had no space at all and it was for a christmas telethon so I just stood there and looked like an idiot.

Stage presence is everything. You don\'t have to go crazy but atleast make eye contact with the audience and have skill when playing!

Johny Bravo
01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Backflips? Come on guyz dont be such hard-asses. Of course music is everything. But when u have mastered the songs ur gonna play, i think u shud make a little stage performance as well, otherwise as said before, ur not worth the stage. What I and my guitarist do, is that he takes off his guitar and holds it in front of me, and I play his solo, while he is keeping the bass growling by hammer-ons. (Of course we do it when the bassline is quite minimal). And im working on backflips off the drummer's platform these days. Looks cool!

jagstang270
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Spread legs out reli far like mike dirnt,
Fling bass forward a bit so it looks like im throwing it at ppl =P
Jump to the beat.
Play behind head..yes i did that once..ppl went nuts

Your crowd must be ignorant to all that concerns music.

DoctorFu
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
If a bass player did a back flip while playing in front of me I would go a little nuts. Another key is to have the bass so loud that people don't have enough sonic space to talk over it and be audible. If they try and talk to each other you should see shrugging. Dancing and jumping around is good to do to show you're enthusiastic. If you aren't the best at playing while jumping try the closed eyes half head bang to the beat. Chris Wolstenholm from Muse is the best example of this technique. Check him out on youtube for examples.

Strat_Monkey
01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Do what feels right. If you're the kinda person who just stands there then do that, 'coz there's nothing worse than watching someone really awkwardly trying to look 'cool' on stage by jumping around like a fool. When I saw Mark Lanegan live (not a bass player, but still) he did his usual thing of barely moving at all and just gripping his mic stand like a drowning man, but it was still a f*cking good gig.

indie-bassist
01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Go with the mood of the song. If u have a really energetic song, try and make the crowd feel it through your actions but if you are playing a sad song, you dont want to be bouncing round the stage, it gives off the wrong vibes

GuitrBassJunkie
01-12-2007, 01:56 PM
You crowd must be ignorant to all that concerns music.

lol ouch.

:DGO OMRI!:D

:peace:

Spade1
01-12-2007, 02:13 PM

dont talk anymore, there are bassist who just play, maybe headbang to the music there playing, but jeez, you cant tell me the if you saw: flea, justin chansoller, jeff ament, stu hamm, or cliff burton (r.i.p.), just stand there and play amazing, you would hate it, and tell them to get off stage cuz they weren't using it enough,

please just stay open minded, there are guys that just stand there and play amazing and there fans love it, and there are those who go nuts and play great and there fans love it, to me its all about your fans, and what you wanna do,

thats all :cheers: lol

hatebreed219
01-12-2007, 02:30 PM
There was a discussion like this in the recent "Bass spinning" thread. And I have a feeling this is going to end the same way, with everyone split either saying having stage presence is lame and pointless if you're a good bassist, and the others saying it's boring to watch a band just stand and play.

Personally, I feel it's very boring to go to a show and have the band just stand there in one spot and play, unless of course it's Bass G3 or the Guitar G3, then they can play naked for all I care.

But most of the shows I go to are hardcore/metalcore/metal/hardcore punk/etc. shows. At shows like that, if the band doesn't go crazy people get bored quickly. It may be because those generes aren't really about being virtuoso.

If I'm at a local hardcore/metal show and the band is just standing there, you can see the crowd is bored and often leave. When the music is that intense and fast, how can you not move around? People remember bands that go nuts on stage, sometimes bands are remembered for their stage antics more then the music, sad, but true.

Back on topic...kinda...I do bass throws, I'll throw it body first or neck first, I'm pretty good at both(not to toot my own horn). I climb on top of stuff too, my stack, monitors, whatever is around. We all just kinda jump around, fling your instruments in the air, headband, mosh as much as possible while still playing, all that good stuff. The basic hardcore stage show pretty much.

GreenDayChris
01-12-2007, 02:32 PM
See: Paul Simonon of The Clash.

The coolest man ever to strap on a bass guitar.

anarkee
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Do what feels right..

My comments--

1. Theatrics aren't a substitute for musical talent or skill. But if you have both and thatis your thing, go for it.
2. It better feel natural otherwise you won't pull it off effectively

I'm not a very theatrical bass player, but not a Bill Wyman either. I do have a slight body groove / sway when playing that I didn't even notice until a teacher pointed it out.

To each his own.

Caustic
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM

John Entwhistle is not worth the stage? Bill Wyman? Get outta here.

anarkee
01-12-2007, 03:53 PM
^I saw the Who a few times. While Entwhistle didn't "move", he had the best facial expressions and facial reactions to the music. He was just so cool to watch--relaxed body and fingers that just flew. Epitome of cool.

Bullet-Rule
01-12-2007, 03:57 PM
In band practice i'm quite static- as no1 else in the band is moving around, headbanging, etc so theres no need for it. But when i'm playing at my first gig i will probably walk around, headbang and do a little OTT picking- if the song requires me to play with a pick- it just adds dramatic effect

Blockythebass
01-12-2007, 06:27 PM
stage antics are really for the guitarists and the singers. bass isn't really a well respected instrument to the ingnorant, and alot of time thats who you're playing for. The only time ive ever been impressed by local band stage antics was when a guitarist (who was amazing, he won a statewide blues competition and has a full ride to berkely) just went completly crazy during Machine Gun's solo.

hatebreed219
01-12-2007, 09:15 PM
stage antics are really for the guitarists and the singers. bass isn't really a well respected instrument to the ingnorant, and alot of time thats who you're playing for. The only time ive ever been impressed by local band stage antics was when a guitarist (who was amazing, he won a statewide blues competition and has a full ride to berkely) just went completly crazy during Machine Gun's solo.
:p:

watchingmefall
01-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I play my lines, if I want to maybe I'll headbang or move my shoulders to the beat of a slow groove, that's about it.

myself101
01-12-2007, 09:57 PM
i rock out! seriously just have fun!

muSico
01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
just run around

TheSnow
01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Well the only time I've been onstage was doing some covers for a couple crowds of songs I didn't know. But once I get onstage, I'm going to look and play exactly like a lead metal guitarist, have fun, and get some chick to come up on stage and make out with me while I'm playing.

Or you could do the Slash thing and make it look like you really don't give a shit, and kinda wish you aren't there... Worked for him at least. lol

TheSnow
01-13-2007, 12:06 AM
^I saw the Who a few times. While Entwhistle didn't "move", he had the best facial expressions and facial reactions to the music. He was just so cool to watch--relaxed body and fingers that just flew. Epitome of cool.

lol I'm totally the opposite of that. I don't really like metal that much, so I tense the **** up, and make it look like I'm trying too hard to go nuts. That's where the woman comes in handy!

Carreras
01-13-2007, 05:27 AM
dont talk anymore, there are bassist who just play, maybe headbang to the music there playing, but jeez, you cant tell me the if you saw: flea, justin chansoller, jeff ament, stu hamm, or cliff burton (r.i.p.), just stand there and play amazing, you would hate it, and tell them to get off stage cuz they weren't using it enough,

please just stay open minded, there are guys that just stand there and play amazing and there fans love it, and there are those who go nuts and play great and there fans love it, to me its all about your fans, and what you wanna do,

But SURELY you get a better kick out of a active performer than a dry up fish..

Leper Affinity
01-13-2007, 05:30 AM
i keep a beat and play my parts well, and regardless of whether im being crazy or stupid or ugly or not people like it.

pretty original ehy?

Carreras
01-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Somebody said something about bass players not getting a respect from the ignorant...
and that performances are for the guitarplayers and lead singers.

Okay here we go!!

-First of all you are a BAND (bass player included) you should all take responsibility for the feel you give out

-Furthermore Entwhistle had a stage performance when he did his cool solulant movement

-Blackie Lawless (WASP) should be admired for his shows that go up to the sky

Now.. Me I do stuff like lift upp my bass and play it at a upright position, I kneel and play, I haven't learned how to spin the bass around (so tips are welcome) and of course the traditional headbanging.

bassmanjoe08
01-13-2007, 03:24 PM
If you dont feel like doin it, dont do it. Everything I do is on impulse, i just feel like doin it.

Greenday389
01-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I just do whatever feels right to what is happening in the music.

canadianpunk071
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
I just bite the heads off bats before launching into a monster solo. Seems to do the trick.

pie_man_25
01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
When I'm in a gig, I mostly just headbang and move the Bass with me :D . Sometimes throwing it around with the beat when I'm not playing :grrr: , Occasionally making bizarre faces :livid: , and when I'm soloing I hold the neck Right next to my face so I can see The fretboard better :)

Wayward_Son
01-13-2007, 05:14 PM
It really depends on the music. In a church praise band that I'm in, I just move to the music a little and try not to look bored. I'd probably do the same thing if I was playing low-key covers or something. But if I was in a high-energy punk/pop/hardcore/metal band, I would jump around and put on a good show.

myself101
01-13-2007, 07:05 PM
It really depends on the music. In a church praise band that I'm in, I just move to the music a little and try not to look bored. I'd probably do the same thing if I was playing low-key covers or something. But if I was in a high-energy punk/pop/hardcore/metal band, I would jump around and put on a good show.

lol, i would love to see a worship band with a rockin bassist, headbanging, jumping, bass swings stage dives and all

BodaciousZac
01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
My comments--

1. Theatrics aren't a substitute for musical talent or skill.

Apparently they are if you're listening to hatebreed219's kind of bands.

But most of the shows I go to are hardcore/metalcore/metal/hardcore punk/etc. shows. At shows like that, if the band doesn't go crazy people get bored quickly.

As long as the music is good the fans shouldn't be ditching the show.

Charlatan_001
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Just fyi, it's "their."

Anyways, I just usually either headbang or do somewhat over-the-top stuff with my bass. If anyone's seen Mike D'Antonio (bad bass player from Killswitch Engage, good stage presence) play, I'm kinda like that, but not as violent. Yknow, kind of lift my bass up while playing, get my whole body into it when a certain part is especially rockin'.

hatebreed219
01-13-2007, 11:43 PM
As long as the music is good the fans shouldn't be ditching the show.

Well you see, many of the people around here are "simple folk," if things aren't visiually appealing they quickly lose interest. It's quite sad actaully. I know I did say it gets a little boring watching an intense band that doesn't move, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be a dick and walk away.

And I never said that theatrics are a substitute for good music.

mountaindew88
01-14-2007, 12:22 AM
the thing I did that made the crowd go wild was get tangled up in my cable and fall straight on my ass. Nobody laughed, they just cheered because I kept playing.

BodaciousZac
01-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Well you see, many of the people around here are "simple folk," if things aren't visiually appealing they quickly lose interest. It's quite sad actaully. I know I did say it gets a little boring watching an intense band that doesn't move, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be a dick and walk away.

And I never said that theatrics are a substitute for good music.

OK, it may not be you who is leaving, but apparently there are many people who do believe that theatrics can be in place of good music. What if one of those people is listening to a CD? Do they stop listening because they can't see any cool stunts?

Dinkydaisy
01-14-2007, 03:38 PM
When you're playing to people who are unable to fully appreciate a band's skill and sound, you do need theatrics to keep them entertained. I know one band, they play good, but they never move, just stand there and the bassist looks so bored it's unbelievable, which puts a lot of people off. While my band only plays covers we have a lot more people liking us because we're the ones who jump around stage, and actually look like we're having a great time, which gets the audience going aswell.

But shall we try and not veer off topic? He'sd asking for cool things to do on stage, not if you need them.

Personally I've always wanted to spin my bass around, but I'm not going to try it because I love my bass too much. Once during a show though there was a part with no bass, so I didn't look like I had nothing to I propped it into the air and brought it whilst running my tongue over the fret board, it probably got a few 'ews' but it got a lot more applause. I've always wanted to try jumping and doing the splits in the air, but I fear the years spent at my computer desk have taken their toll on my flexibility.

hatebreed219
01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
OK, it may not be you who is leaving, but apparently there are many people who do believe that theatrics can be in place of good music. What if one of those people is listening to a CD? Do they stop listening because they can't see any cool stunts?

There's a big difference in expectations when it comes to watching a band live and listening to a CD, though I didn't think it was necessary to mention.

Wicked_Bassist7
01-14-2007, 04:24 PM
I find spinning on my head to work out nicely as a crowd booster

loeuf
01-16-2007, 05:08 AM

Are you saying Flea doesn't have stage presence??? :confused:

rob_bass_man
01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
effects?
props?

rob_bass_man
01-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Are you saying Flea doesn't have stage presence??? :confused:
i think he needs to see some live videos

Applehead
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
I tell you one thing you can do..

If you need to ever play a slide in one of your songs.. you point the bass upright, hold it up high and fret the note, as the bass slides down, your note slides down too. I've done it a couple of times and it looks pretty cool. Thank you random bass player in random band that i nicked that one off.

Felkara
01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
I tell you one thing you can do..

If you need to ever play a slide in one of your songs.. you point the bass upright, hold it up high and fret the note, as the bass slides down, your note slides down too. I've done it a couple of times and it looks pretty cool. Thank you random bass player in random band that i nicked that one off.

I aim to try that!!! That sounds like a good idea.

Unfortunately I have the bad luck of having glasses that don't stay on my head very well. So, if I throw myself about on stage or headband too violently they go flying into the crowd and then I can't see. That's not a problem for my bass playing but I'm also lead vocalist and it helps me interact with an audience if I can see them.

When I'm not singing I'll lift my bass up and play it like Slash and Synster Gates do when they're soloing. I'll do the Chris Wolstenholme (sp?) side-bang and jump about a bit too. Sometimes I'll walk up to one of the guitarists and stand right infront of him and play like that (I can't remember the name for it, I'm tired T_T).

When I am singing there's not too much that I can do without singing away from the mic so I try to writhe my way around it and stuff. I can't really explain it very well, my vocabulary seems to have deserted me.

To be honest, performance is all about two things, music and attitude - if the music is good, people will enjoy the show, but it's not enough to keep them interested. If you're enjoying yourself and mucking about a bit on stage then that enjoyment will be channelled to the audience. Whether or not you go crazy is in itself not important, as long as you're having fun there's no reason why your audience won't either.

loeuf
01-16-2007, 06:55 PM
i think he needs to see some live videos
There you go :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqTl_fLxyew

JF-SH1
12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I kinda walk around. I'll talk to my drummer during practice or a gig or whatever. We just have fun.
If you do theatrics they should be fun and kinda cool, depending on what you are doing, but my belief is they should be natural and shouldn't really be about looking like a badass, unless that is what is natural. Do what you want.
People should recognize you for amazing basslines, if they don't then they aren't worth the theatrics in my opinion. But then again I am a music person, theatrics aren't really important to me.

anarkee
12-02-2008, 11:19 PM
necropost. Closing thread. Dammit there's another thread already started recently on this...