Creedence clearwater revival

PDA

View Full Version : Creedence clearwater revival

bcjeff08
01-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Creedence rocks...every song of theres is a good one...this thread is here to discuss the band, their styles of playing, and whatever else creedence.

Buckethead5
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
me and some friends played Fortunate Son in a school performance.. really fun song

IbanezRckr101
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
CCR FTW!!! yeah i love them, i just dont like i put a spell on you
but fortunate son FTW also :P and traveling band

bewley
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Funny i got my first cd just the other week,after my dad raved about them, great sounding band.

bcjeff08
01-12-2007, 05:06 PM
my fav songs would have to be as long as i can see the light and lodi

master
01-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Fogerty has one of the most soulfull and distinguishable voices ever. Blues rock to its finest.

Guitar0player
01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I still need to come up with a good solo for this song.

Cptbeefheart
01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I love 'em. Fogerty is such a great songwriter. Bayou Country is my favorite album of theirs.

master
01-12-2007, 07:16 PM
green river all the way

tiant
01-12-2007, 09:01 PM
sweet hitch hiker!!!!!!!!!!yeah my favorite,travelin band is good 2

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
green river all the way

Awesome song, and awesome album.

My personal favorite album by the band, for me, is probably Cosmo's Factory.

I hope that sometime within the next year I will get to see John Fogerty (assuming he will continue touring).

I wish that he would put aside his differences with Cliff, Stu, and, most of all, Tom, so that the band can have a real reunion, and not any of this "Creedence Clearwater Revisited" nonsense.

The_Yoki
01-13-2007, 12:30 PM
CCR + Big Lebowski = :snyper:

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 12:41 PM
So do you hate The Eagles, then? :p:

add45
01-13-2007, 01:11 PM
They're on my playlist right now :p:

"Have You Seen The Rain" and "Up Around the Bend" are the only ones I've heard but I love them.

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Listen to more. Every song of theirs is enjoyable.

bcjeff08
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
i agree with that every song is good

lexhibit
01-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Mardis Gras is the critics universally hated CCR album. I love it, it contains John's masterpiece Someday Never Comes, Sweet Hitchhiker, great cover of Hello Mary Lou and John Fogerty plays some mean guitar on those "uncool" songs sung and written by Stu Cook and Doug Clifford that were done because they complained John was getting all the money for writing the songs. John did that to prove a point to them that the buying public wouldn't like Stu's and Clifford's songs like they did John's and he was right. The band broke up after that tour and the rest is history.

Pendulum is another forgotton CCR album that is really underrated.

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Pendulum! :snyper:

Cptbeefheart
01-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I love Pendulum, Mardi Gras, not so much. Still a pretty good record, but it doesn't measure up to their other records.

Nighthawk551
01-13-2007, 07:00 PM
CCR is quite underrated and under-listened to. I absolutely love their music!

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Sadly, the only times I do hear them on the radio, the same songs are played.

rock_and_blues
01-13-2007, 08:43 PM
great band...no scratch that...phenomenal band. definetly on my top ten. i'm trying to get the band im in now to go in more of a roots style like creedence/the beatles (there return to more roots based rock n roll, after their stint in the pyschedelic movement)/the byrds/etc)...unfortunately all my lead guitarists like is prog and shred....*sighs*

TheHeartbreaker
01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
What? Progressive Rock is awesome! :headbang:

Shred isn't bad. :)

streetcarp19
01-13-2007, 09:53 PM
My personal favorite album by the band, for me, is probably Cosmo's Factory.

Me too, Ramble Tamble is a favorite of mine from them.

CCR + Big Lebowski = :snyper: Yeah, that scene where they drop a ringer for a ringer, with Run through the Jungle in the background, is probably my favorite scene in all of cinema. "Fu.ck it man, let's go bowling."

Sloopy
01-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Alright some CCR fans on UG! Power!

wilty00
01-14-2007, 02:34 AM
Have You Ever Seen the Rain is untouchable in terms of pure genius.

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Of the two songs in which Fogerty uses the "rain" metaphor, I actually prefer Who'll Stop the Rain.

It's very simply, but the chorus is extremely moving. For me, at least.

EL Conquestidor
01-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I like Credence. One of their Song/chord books should be a MUST to any beginner gutarists who like Classic Rock. Generally pretty simplistic chord arrangements. And if you buy/watch John's solo concert DVD, you can figure out alot of his leads pretty easy too.
But I am personally troubled by how John treated the rest of CCR. Make no mistake, he ws an ASSHOLE to them. And it went deeper than just who's songs were recorded.
OK, there's no denying that he was the principle songsmith talent in the band. But he got the "BIG HEAD" and unnessisarily treated his band, including his own brother like CRAP. Which lead to the breakup and an enstrangement from his brother that lasted even to his brothers death. Definantly NOT a "class act" IMO in comparison to artist like SRV who were much respected and beloved by their less talented "supporting" band members.

add45
01-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Have You Ever Seen the Rain is untouchable in terms of pure genius.

Listening to it right now, it's absolutely brilliant.

raise_the_dead
01-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Only have a 2cd singles compilation, but goddamn they're great.

Oh Suzi Q....

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 12:28 PM
But I am personally troubled by how John treated the rest of CCR. Make no mistake, he ws an ASSHOLE to them. And it went deeper than just who's songs were recorded.
OK, there's no denying that he was the principle songsmith talent in the band. But he got the "BIG HEAD" and unnessisarily treated his band, including his own brother like CRAP. Which lead to the breakup and an enstrangement from his brother that lasted even to his brothers death. Definantly NOT a "class act" IMO in comparison to artist like SRV who were much respected and beloved by their less talented "supporting" band members.

Despite the fact that John was an ass (as were many other musicians to their band members), as you've pointed out, if it wasn't for him, the band wouldn't have made it.

Lost_Rose
01-14-2007, 12:30 PM
me and some friends played Fortunate Son in a school performance.. really fun song

Easily one of their best songs and one that will live forever!! :headbang:

Sherman901
01-14-2007, 02:16 PM
CCR is definitely a very underrated band. They are fantastic. I just learned how to play Have You Ever Seen The Rain on bass and it's alot of fun. They are simple but powerful and the lyrics are great. John Fogerty is a very talented songwriter.

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm interested in finding out if anyone knows of any extremely early official or bootleg live albums.

I only have The Concert, which is great, but the reason I want early live shows is because they originally were a blues-jam band.

However, once they managed to have so many singles chart high up, they usually just played those at their shows with only one or two long blues jams.

Cptbeefheart
01-14-2007, 02:38 PM
I'd really be interested in those early shows as well.

bcjeff08
01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
as long as i can see the light is an amazing song

TheHeartbreaker
01-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Definitely. In fact, it was the last song I listened to today, as I listened to Cosmo's Factory.

lexhibit
01-14-2007, 08:48 PM
OK, there's no denying that he was the principle songsmith talent in the band. But he got the "BIG HEAD" and unnessisarily treated his band, including his own brother like CRAP. Which lead to the breakup and an enstrangement from his brother that lasted even to his brothers death.

Yup, Mardi Gras was John's nasty practical private joke to embarrass and convince the other guys into thinking they could write hits and sing the songs too like John. Personally I like Mardis Gras though, only because I like Johns guitar work on that album, he started using the Les Paul instead of the Rickenbacker and got a heavier tone.

bcjeff08
01-15-2007, 02:55 AM
i dont care what anyone says john is amazing

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2007, 09:48 AM
He really is. I mean, his guitar parts are simple, yet they sound so great. He's a very gifted man, and he knows how to make great music.

EL Conquestidor
01-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Mardis Gras is the critics universally hated CCR album. I love it, it contains John's masterpiece Someday Never Comes, Sweet Hitchhiker, great cover of Hello Mary Lou and John Fogerty plays some mean guitar on those "uncool" songs sung and written by Stu Cook and Doug Clifford that were done because they complained John was getting all the money for writing the songs. John did that to prove a point to them that the buying public wouldn't like Stu's and Clifford's songs like they did John's and he was right. The band broke up after that tour and the rest is history.

Pendulum is another forgotton CCR album that is really underrated.
Check out the Wikipedia article on CCR. It'll clear some common misconceptions, such as pretty much everything above.
Stu and Cliff didn't want to write songs. John MADE them because he siged a HORRIBLE recording contract that called for more material than he could possibly write himself.
Then he refused to contribute anything more than rythm guitar to their tracks after they fully cooperated and supported anything he did. Those Tasty licks you mention aren't his.

TheHeartbreaker
01-15-2007, 07:32 PM
So whose were they? Tom left the band, so they must have been... Stu's?

bcjeff08
01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
acutally they were his and i wouldnt belive everything you here on wikipedia i have an account there and i can write about anything i want and post it on the site so it is just people acting like they know what they are talkin about but they really dont in some cases so if i were you look for more officail facts and then come back and read them off k...

EL Conquestidor
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
The Wikipedia website says the same stuff that people who were around back in those gays have known for years. It is the truth. You can take it or leave it. I don't care. And truth is this. CCR and John Fogerty made some great music. But Fogerty's a well known A-hole.

TheHeartbreaker
01-16-2007, 04:46 PM
The Wikipedia website says the same stuff that people who were around back in those gays have known for years.

:haha

les_paul_01
01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
damn i love the CCR.

it's weird, my dad was in his late teens/early twenties when CCR were big, and now nearly 40 years later i'm really getting into them.

fogerty's voice really suits their work (plus, he shares my birthday) and the rest of the band, while not perhaps the most talented musicians ever, do their job very well.

and i'm seriously considering having "have you ever seen the rain" played at my funeral. i remember loving it when i was around 8, it's just one of those songs that speaks to me.

TheHeartbreaker
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
and i'm seriously considering having "have you ever seen the rain" played at my funeral. i remember loving it when i was around 8, it's just one of those songs that speaks to me.

That'd be interesting.

bcjeff08
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
that would be quite interesting i must say...i think most of the ppl at the funeral would start singing along for a moment...lol

TheHeartbreaker
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Probably. Then again, depending on who goes, not everyone may not it.

Though I hope not, there's a chance that these great bands will become unknown in fifty or sixty years.

les_paul_01
01-18-2007, 05:39 AM
yeah, that's something i've been thinking about/scared about a lot lately.

i mean, all these great artists who laid the foundation for a great amount of modern music could be so easily forgotten because some kids wouldn't dare to like the music their parents like.

RainSong
01-18-2007, 07:26 PM
it is scary, i mean i talk to people about bands i like and i always mention ccr, they either have no idea who im talkin about or they laugh and cant believe i like that.

dougarini
01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
heard it through the grapevine is my favorite song... even though its a cover, it is my favorite motown cover of all time, i could listen to it everyday

joblow
01-19-2007, 02:50 AM
I Love CCR, use to listen to them quit often and now after playing guitar for about 3 years im getting back into them heavy. I love how simple yet great the songs are. They have great chord structure, the songs are fun to play, and I wish I would have had gotten into them earlyer on, woulda help a lot. This brings me to a Q, If anyone knows of other good songs such as ones by CCR I'm all ears... Thx

lexhibit
01-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Check out the Wikipedia article on CCR. It'll clear some common misconceptions, such as pretty much everything above.
Stu and Cliff didn't want to write songs. John MADE them because he siged a HORRIBLE recording contract that called for more material than he could possibly write himself.
Then he refused to contribute anything more than rythm guitar to their tracks after they fully cooperated and supported anything he did. Those Tasty licks you mention aren't his.

Interesting Thanks.
It Sounds like there are two sides to the story. Here's another "Version" of the story. You may be right, Stu Cook is rumored to have played the lead guitar on the non-fogerty Mardi Gras tunes
http://members.tripod.com/riverising/CCR-albums/mardigrasLP.html

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
it is scary, i mean i talk to people about bands i like and i always mention ccr, they either have no idea who im talkin about or they laugh and cant believe i like that.

I know some people who are my age that enjoy Creedence Clearwater Revival, but with a lot of people listening to radio stations, they hear the same three or four songs played by a band constantly, and those are the only songs they really associate the band with.

les_paul_01
01-19-2007, 09:18 PM
^yeah, i'm guessing most people in this thread know a handful of people who like CCR, but that's pretty much nothing. It's a scary thought that songs like "lookin' out my backdoor" or "bad moon rising" might be forgotten to the next generation.

TheHeartbreaker
01-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Exactly.

Yet, at the same time there is a comforting thought that knowing Classical was able to survive up until now, I'm sure that Classic Rock will still be known years down the road.