first gig

PDA

View Full Version : first gig

noxios
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
tomorow is my first gig, I'm a bit nervous but I think that I tomorow will be to nervous. are there any tips to calm you down??

and how is the set list??
the drummer starts a drum solo, I come up the stage and start jamming on bass
and the two guitarist starts to jam with us, and then we go smoothly into slither (velvet revolver) then selfmade song and then touch to much (AC/DC)

we only have 13 minutes t play (battle of the bands)

chriskent4687
01-12-2007, 05:58 PM
i had me first gig about a month ago.
ur pissing yourself before u go on, but as soon as u get on there, just realise that theres nothing more than u can give than what youve got to play.
There not going to pick u out from rest, even if u do make some wronge notes. just make sure u play wot u know. and youl be fine. u neva know, u might even start to enjoy it! -chris-

chilibassist
01-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Just looking over the audience, and at your fellow bandmates. It will be really easy, and after the first song it will be cool.

DaliLama
01-12-2007, 06:05 PM
No sweat, have fun like you do when you practice, don't worry about mistakes no one notices or cares, and as long as you look like you're having fun and jamming, it's infectious and the crowd will start having fun too. And if you play shit, big deal it's a battle of the bands, the audience will be hearing shit all day it shouldn't surprise or bother them. Good luck break a leg

evening_crow
01-12-2007, 06:07 PM
eh....jam out? what do u mean? please, don't just "jam out" at a gig. NEVER!!! but anyway, if u've got nice transitions from song to song u'll be fine. also, i recommend a slight rest between songs. take some water bottles with u in case u get thirsty and to calm urself down. for sweaty hands, put some baby powder on ur hands. remember to take a piss before u go out. have instuments well tuned and have an extra guitar and bass in case a string brakes. make sure the pedal's batteries are new or that u have the ac adaptors. have a short soundcheck before starting. go out, chill out, have fun, but be concious of what ur doing.

noxios
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
its not just jam out I know what to play just improvise a bit around that note

Dutch_Apples
01-12-2007, 06:30 PM
I think starting out with a drum solo is a bad idea. Look for the tread about order of songs. My advice is to not get worked up and take it lightly (but not to the point of being goofy) You will never met a musician who said that their first gig was the best gig they've had. If you do something is wrong. Just use it as swimming in the shallow end. Make sure you look at the other bands and see what they do right and wrong. Learn from the mistakes of others.

As for nerves, Take deep breathes in and out. Use hypnosis. To get pumped up before a show... some of my former band members used to watch their favorite music DVDs or listen to their current favorite CD in the car before the show. That way, they were worked up before we went on. It seemed to work pretty well.

evening_crow
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Still, i don't recommend improvising at a gig, particularly your first one. Maybe once you feel comfortable at gigs and know your scales and theory and all that shtuff u can go ahead and do it cuz u know what notes/scales/progressions ur playing. For now, i really recommend not doing it.