new to hardcore

PDA

View Full Version : new to hardcore

shredmeiser101
01-13-2007, 02:19 PM
So i'm very new to the hardcore music scene. Im a freshman in highschool and my brother's friend (a junior) recruited me on guitar for his new hardcore band. So i've jammed with him a couple times and he explained the guitar style to me. I picked it up pretty quick but I could use some help. First of all, he told me there are chords called "hardcore noises", he showed me one but I would like to know as many as possible. I would also like to know a lot of the terminology and guitar "staples" of hardcore music (I know what breakdowns are), so...can anyone help me?

cman138
01-13-2007, 02:21 PM
You don't need to know anything about guitar to play in a hardcore band, because they require minimal talent

alienboy18241
01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
^^Yup, just get on stage and jump around and go crazy. About 75% of the crowd won't know you have no idea how to play.

revan1013
01-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Nice how much respect players have for each other eh? I'd help if I could, but I really don't know much about Hardcore except that it's like a wall of noise. Though I remember hearing the drums and bass and not the guitarist at all the concerts.

pitbull510
01-13-2007, 02:33 PM
You don't need to know anything about guitar to play in a hardcore band, because they require minimal talent
in agree, hardcore is about making lots of noise, that's why they call it hardcore.

SchecterFreak
01-13-2007, 02:33 PM
i play a lot of hardcore so ask a question more specifically so i can answer if i give you a general overview it won't do you much good. do you want to know about techniques or teminology? the terms won't help unless you can do the techniques. so let me know!

pmeg568c
01-13-2007, 04:13 PM
in agree, hardcore is about making lots of noise, that's why they call it hardcore.

ok...yea.

but it depends what hardcore you playing. if its metalcore ish you might need to be decent but if its just straight hardcore its probably just powerchords and a few riffs here and there

StuartR
01-13-2007, 04:21 PM
The first five replies are terrible.

Just power chords for Hardcore. Never heard of a Hardcore Noise, maybe he means a dischord or a pinch harmonic, but you won't find them often in Hardcore.

kaktusnpoop
01-13-2007, 04:31 PM
yeah the first couple of kids who replied obviously don't know what the hell they are talking about and post in the metal forum

not to mention of the dudes has limp bizkit as his avatar

i mean, come the **** on

SchecterFreak
01-13-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah learn some trivium, amon amarth, a7x, arch enemy, stuff like that will get you started!

Job 4 a Cowboy
01-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Lookup breakdowns on wikipedia, that will get you an idea of how to play them
just pick a chord and palm mute basically for a breakdown.

it really depends on what type of "hardcore" you are doing. I really can't help you with more traditional hardcore playing, but for metalcore and deathcore I can give you a few pointers

SchecterFreak
01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
like we have already said. it is easier for some one to help you learn a style if you ahve questions so they can be answered fully!

StuartR
01-13-2007, 09:50 PM
For the love of Satan, don't learn breakdowns!

Can you spell "played out"?

CaptainOfSmug
01-13-2007, 10:59 PM
For the love of Satan, don't learn breakdowns!

Can you spell "played out"?

For the love of satan DO learn breakdowns. People are very ignorant when it comes ot this subject. Mostly metal people in the metal forums. They say breakdowns are what make hardcore when really, their favorite death metal bands use them all the time. Anyways, hardcore is fairly easy and simplified. Metalcore is more technical, it all really depends on the player. If you can get through some lamb of god songs very quickly you have nothing to worry about.

STABxYOU
01-14-2007, 12:24 AM
yeah learn some trivium, amon amarth, a7x, arch enemy, stuff like that will get you started!

All of those are metal bands. Lame metal bands.

Hardcore ranges from really simple to rather complex.

Old school hardcore, powerviolence, tough-guy hardcore, stuff like that tends to be simple, The Dillinger Escape Plan not so much. Start with power chords, then some simple single note riffs, then some octave chords and build from there.

By 'hardcore noises' I'm assuming you mean some variety of high pitched modified power chords, or octave chords?

shredmeiser101
01-14-2007, 12:29 AM
i talked to him about how i didn't want our music to be like every other hardcore band, lot's of random noise. We're gonna go for a more precise, pantera or alice in chains guitar sound.
BTW why are people going on the hardcore forum just to trash hardcore? bunch of ignorant asses.

Job 4 a Cowboy
01-14-2007, 02:40 AM
You might wanna check out darkest hour or bands similar to that, they are more structured than other 'hardcore' bands

martyr
01-14-2007, 03:21 AM
Camo shorts/ athletic shorts.

Basketball team jersey/ Basball T-shirt

Baseball hat/ Short short hair

They're pretty much jocks.

shai_savant
01-14-2007, 03:51 AM
this thread is rediculous i don't think that hardcore was ever meant to be tought through a message board....listen to the music and figure it out yourself

StuartR
01-14-2007, 09:55 AM
^best post here.