Indie on the radio...

PDA

View Full Version : Indie on the radio...

unplugtheradio
01-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Posted this in the pit, but i figured you guys should see it too...

It's a step in the right direction. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/music/news/e3ifccd9970e567b0b182d9be57133ab758)

but there are some bugs...

ohwell, thoughts?

Andrewbiles
01-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Hopefully it'll lead to radio stations having more than a 10 song playlist, but to be honest, over the past couple of years I've been quite happy with what's on the radio when I flick it on. Even the bigger stations in the UK tend to play a good selection of stuff, just this favors the indie artists a bit more, but then aren't all these things slowly coming in destroying part of the point of indie music? Won't it just put the larger indie levels on a par with the major labels and then all the indie's will suddenly begin to be upset because there is more money on the line and they'll start re-acting to everything in the same way the majors have.

i_strum_i_drum
01-14-2007, 12:48 PM
it's called independent for a reason. i am perfectly fine with finding good music on local college radio stations. i have no desire to listen to sufjan, wolf parade, or air on Kiss 108.

astonmartin
01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
I saw that, I dont know how to feel. I just listen to independent radio

actually in my dream last night I heard a sufjan song on mainstream radio. It was more of a nightmare I guess. The sad part is Im not making this up. haha

uhh_me?
01-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Eh...well I guess its sort of good, but then again I don't even listen to commercial radio anymore, I only do college stations and NPR.

Yakult
01-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Who cares about the mainstream radio stations? I enjoy looking for new bands, it's half the fun. If the big radio stations played more tracks from indie labels, then as Andrew said, they [the indie labels] will start looking to sign bands purely on a cost-effective basis and will stop being "indie labels". Then there'll be a new wave of "indie" labels, who are doing exactly what the current indie labels are doing now... If that makes sense?

jackbutt
01-15-2007, 09:27 PM
The whole fun of the art community (art as in music, writing, photography, etc), is that you have to be involved to be in the know. Good music doesn't get handed to you on a plate. Its much more rewarding that way, and you make more friends who have the same ideals and values as yourself (for the most part). I think that mainstream radio playing indie bands would overcrowd our dark and secret hangouts making it difficult for the rest of us to get a seat.

uhh_me?
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
i hand good music to people on a plate on my radio show...but no one listens

WhereArtEsteban
01-17-2007, 12:50 AM
I randomly turner on 106.1 Kiss FM (the hit radio station) and i was not aware I was on it, then suddenly, "Casimir Pulaski Day" by Sufjan Stevens starts to play. I was taken back a few steps like, "how could they like this song that is so brilliant, but then listen to a '''song''' as talentless and stupid as '"fergilicious'''. welll I came to the conclusion that: its okay if they play, if they actually LISTEN to it, not just play it and like it because its "the new thing".

astonmartin
01-17-2007, 02:47 AM
holy shit I heard that song on that station in my dream, ****ing creepy lol

WhereArtEsteban
01-23-2007, 01:33 AM
thats really weird

DorkusMalorkus
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
"but then listen to a '''song''' as talentless and stupid as '"fergilicious'''. welll I came to the conclusion that: its okay if they play, if they actually LISTEN to it, not just play it and like it because its "the new thing".
Say what? Fergalicious is extremely catchy, and fun. Regardless if you don't like that type of music, I don't think it is fair to call it talentless, if not for the music, for the singing. There is a part where she is singing (yes singing, not rapping or anything) that reminds me of Christina Agulara (and anyone who says she can't sing, is simply stubborn). I really do think calling it talentless is very unfair. I can't create any music that is that catchy, I can't come up with lyrics like that (and regardless if Fergie wrote them or not, I still can't write them). The rest of Fergie's CD is actually pretty good too.

But enough about that:

I think hearing better indie music on the radio would be cool. They most likely wouldn't play the stuff that I listen to (at least not the majority of the time) so I think it is better for me. They would most likely be playing the radio friendly indie bands like the Shins, or Wolf Parade, or Bright Eyes. Not things like Animal Collective, Deerhoof, and Xiu Xiu. However, I do completely agree with it being more fun to find bands on your own, and for the sake of all of the alt/indie music I think it'd probably be better if things stayed the same (even though it is a bit unfair to those bands that would probably like the exposure).

uhh_me?
01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Say what? Fergalicious is extremely catchy, and fun. Regardless if you don't like that type of music, I don't think it is fair to call it talentless, if not for the music, for the singing. There is a part where she is singing (yes singing, not rapping or anything) that reminds me of Christina Agulara (and anyone who says she can't sing, is simply stubborn). I really do think calling it talentless is very unfair. I can't create any music that is that catchy, I can't come up with lyrics like that (and regardless if Fergie wrote them or not, I still can't write them). The rest of Fergie's CD is actually pretty good too.

I must disagree with that fergie statement...granted i don't have the cd, but one song (london bridge) i have heard from it is pretty much a m.i.a. ripoff without the political backbone or the cool colorful videos

pumpkins_rule
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
^ Yeah I enjoy pop music to an extent (Justin Timberlake's new stuff is amazing) but Fergie is just awful. Anyway, does anyone else think the major labels would try and cheat by secretly buying or creating "independant" labels and then putting a certain percentage of acts on those labels?

uhh_me?
01-23-2007, 06:57 PM
^I heard that Giant Drag was something like that...but I think it may have been just someone speculating

WhereArtEsteban
01-23-2007, 07:22 PM

I just don't like her, I think she sounds like a nagging four year old. Catchy? Maybe. Annoying? Hell yes. Maybe its just one of those things I just won't ever get because to me if I cant relate to the lyrics or respect the talent in the music in any way it's very hard me to even care let alone listen. See for me its all about the lyrics and the music and I could care less about the quality of the singers voice, my favorite band is Bright Eyes. I guess "talentless" was the wrong word.

Agree to disagree?

Zukev
01-23-2007, 09:11 PM
kkkkkkkk

Doolittle
01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
won't having "indie" on the radio destory the whole purpose/term of indie?

unplugtheradio
01-24-2007, 03:48 AM
won't having "indie" on the radio destory the whole purpose/term of indie?

no, being signed to a major means you're not indie.

more people liking you doesnt make you less indie.

ROWYCO
01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Get XM radio, its worth it. They have a few 'indie' stations, 24-7. It kicks ass if you can get the reception wehre you are.