The Steve Vai Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Steve Vai Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

420 FREAK
01-14-2007, 12:23 AM
I was looking for but didnt see any so i made one.

insideac
01-14-2007, 01:17 AM
lol yeah Hes good. :haha

420 FREAK
01-14-2007, 02:12 AM
Has anyone learned to play the song For The Love Of God its really good and its not that hard.

insideac
01-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Yeah. I almost finished learning Bad Horsie but I have no wah pedal, and I got bored of it and had to start working on an original piece for an upcoming event

Stratwizard
01-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Has anyone learned to play the song For The Love Of God its really good and its not that hard.

I've never heard a decent cover of it, except maybe one.

tasty_lick
01-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I used to be the biggest vai fan ever and theres no questioning his abilty as a guitarist but some of his compositonal stuff now actually makes me nautious..

I loved eat em and smile ,skyscraper and passion and warfare obviously was great but the signs were there on that album...'liberty' being the worst offender having a really cheesy vibe...even 'for the love of god' i cant listen to anymore

Its been a while since he wrote a song as good as 'bad horsie' and as for 'The elusive light and sound vol 1' album i'm amazed its even classed as an album... frankly its an embarassment....the emperors new clothes springs to mind

Scorzerci
01-14-2007, 12:56 PM
He is a great guitarist and is quite possibly the best performer in the shred genre (next to Yngwie Malmsteen) in my opinion at least.

gapster
01-14-2007, 12:57 PM
uh..just a random noob question about him..

does he double track in his recordings ? ..seems like he don't..just want some confirmation..

srv_king
01-14-2007, 03:04 PM
He is a great guitarist and is quite possibly the best performer in the shred genre (next to Yngwie Malmsteen) in my opinion at least.
personally, i think vai is better than malmsteen, but malmsteen is still great. buckethead owns all though :p:

insideac
01-14-2007, 03:05 PM
I think Malmsteen and Buckethead are tied for leaders in performance. They are both extremely active, and Malmsteen always throws in jokes and moves around the stage in a fast pace, while Buckethead has his nunchuku and robot dance schtick.

Stratwizard
01-14-2007, 03:32 PM
What I like about him most is that he has always sort of reinvented himself on every album he has released. Every one of them have a completely different atmosphere and sound.

xtopher_aaron
01-14-2007, 03:41 PM
IMO, Vai owns all.

I heard someone say once, 'if it could be done with a guitar, Vai could do it, if he cant, its most likely not possible to do' - i agree with this totally. If you have some time, go browse around for some of his interviews, videos and what not, the man is a flippin genius. Although i personally prefer Joe Satriani music, i just adore Steven Siro Vai for his abilities with the guitar.

Everything he does with it is magic. If you havent heard Touching Tongues, you must.

Im sorry if this post is a little bias or anything, its just my opinion, i think he should be a god and be on every top guitarist list as No.1..

Just my opinion though, sorry if i had offened anyone.

duggyrocks
01-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Passion and Warfare kicks ass. I've also got into his 30 hour workout, it's good stuff (PM me if you want it).

Vai makes me wish I had a floyd rose (Blast you RG321!).

Resiliance
01-14-2007, 06:39 PM
IMO, Vai owns all.

I heard someone say once, 'if it could be done with a guitar, Vai could do it, if he cant, its most likely not possible to do' - i agree with this totally. If you have some time, go browse around for some of his interviews, videos and what not, the man is a flippin genius. Although i personally prefer Joe Satriani music, i just adore Steven Siro Vai for his abilities with the guitar.

Everything he does with it is magic. If you havent heard Touching Tongues, you must.

Im sorry if this post is a little bias or anything, its just my opinion, i think he should be a god and be on every top guitarist list as No.1..

Just my opinion though, sorry if i had offened anyone.

While he certainly is a brilliant guitarist and musician, I doubt you've heard a very big variety of the so-called virtuosos ;)

5150)Ed(5150
01-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Vai is definitely one of my favorite guitarists. He practically defined the term virtuoso. He also helped develop one of the most playable guitars of our time, the JEM. I respect him a lot as a musician and performer.

The only thing I dislike about him (I can't view anyone as perfect) is his weird sounds. They are alright for a little while, but sometimes- especially live- he just goes on and on with his whammy bar across the strings, or atonal sweeping, etc.

However, it is part of his style, so you can categorize it there.

A must-hear is "Lotus Feet: Live" of his most recent album, Real Illusions: Reflections. It is a beautifully orchestrated piece, showcasing Vai's musicianship and technical prowess at the same time.

Freepower
01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
^ you have perfect sig for this thread.

Anyways, yup, love him. In the personal, i-actually-know-him sense.

:(

GibsonPuppeteer
01-14-2007, 07:51 PM
I've never heard a decent cover of it, except maybe one.
My good sir, I'll have to record one for you.

Witch-king
01-14-2007, 08:03 PM
One of my favourite guitarists. He's unbelivable.

Hidde
01-14-2007, 09:56 PM
Yay Vai!

xtopher_aaron
01-15-2007, 01:37 AM
While he certainly is a brilliant guitarist and musician, I doubt you've heard a very big variety of the so-called virtuosos ;)

well yeah, you could say that, the few i know would be,

Joe Satriani (god), Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Al Dimeola, and a few others i guess,

But yea, I still think Vai owns them all, ok maybe own may be too harsh of a word, but i certainly think he could stand up to any one of those 'virtuoso's' you might know.

Im about to search a Joe Satriani Thread, if theres no, i will start one now.

Stratwizard
01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
My good sir, I'll have to record one for you.

Well go ahead.

6DOIT
01-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Does anyone else think its funny that its taken this long for threads for the two most celebrated and well known shredders(IMO) to be made?????........................Anyway I played the live in the Astoria DVD for my friend yesterday.........................It was like a kick to his Brain Balls..........................We were both depressed after that............... :peace:

Resiliance
01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Does anyone else think its funny that its taken this long for threads for the two most celebrated and well known shredders(IMO) to be made?????........................Anyway I played the live in the Astoria DVD for my friend yesterday.........................It was like a kick to his Brain Balls..........................We were both depressed after that............... :peace:

Not really, I think it's rather logical, considering you weren't around for the numerous threads we've already had on them before you registered...

Prophet of Page
01-15-2007, 01:51 PM
I just freaking wish he'd go back to using modded Marshalls or the Bogners. I don't really llike the tone he has now at all.

lobster624
01-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Passion and Warfare kicks ass. I've also got into his 30 hour workout, it's good stuff (PM me if you want it).

Vai makes me wish I had a floyd rose (Blast you RG321!).

30 hour workout? :confused: could have swore it was 10hour . correct me if i'm wrong but theres only 24 hours in a day

duggyrocks
01-15-2007, 05:06 PM
30 hour workout? :confused: could have swore it was 10hour . correct me if i'm wrong but theres only 24 hours in a day

Yeah it's spread out over the course of 3 days, but I don't have the time for that, so I just fit in the hours when I can.

Nite27
01-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Vai is still my favourite guitarist (Saw him at Zappa Plays Zappa in Vancouver last month, and he completely blew me away) but when compared to Satriani in terms of writing and solid albums, he cant hold a candle to him. I find that with Vai, you really have to wade through all the crap to get to the good stuff... but the good stuff is AMAZING.

Stratwizard
01-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I just freaking wish he'd go back to using modded Marshalls or the Bogners. I don't really llike the tone he has now at all.

Yeah, me too. I hate the Carvins.

calebrocker
01-18-2007, 08:47 PM
steve's awesome, so is satch. i really like steve's music, but sometimes it can get a little boring when he shreds too much. i can always listen to satriani though, his songs have a groovy feeling to them, and he keeps the insane shredding to a minimum. but still, vai is great, one of my major influences in guitar. along with satch and petrucci.

if anyone's new to vai, i suggest the album: Steve Vai: an infinite anthology. it's practically 2 disks of the more popular songs. some good songs aren't on there though, like touching tongues and warm regards, melissa's garden either.

xxdarrenxx
01-19-2007, 05:34 AM
what some guy said earlier, I haven't heard decent covers of Vai, except that Mexican guy from youtube, but he focus on getting the vai sound, not the vai thinking.

I can see alot of players play Vai but not play LIKE Vai.

xtopher_aaron
01-19-2007, 07:22 AM
its almost impossible to play like Vai, maybe you could get close, but in terms of his style and abilities, its close to impossible..

dgme92
01-19-2007, 09:14 AM
hey, um, iv never listened 2 steve vai b4, but i know he's supposed to be kickass, so uh, can i get the names to some songs 2 check out on iTunes? thanks loads

Resiliance
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
hey, um, iv never listened 2 steve vai b4, but i know he's supposed to be kickass, so uh, can i get the names to some songs 2 check out on iTunes? thanks loads

Tender Surrender and For The Love of God are probably his best known.

xtopher_aaron
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Heres some more you should check out and what i think about it:

Die To Live (listening now!!)
Touching Tongues (a must!!)
Voodoo Acid (if your into that sorta thing)
Little Alligator (just cool)
Firewall (very cool)
Boston Rain Melody (one of those super sweeet songs)
Im The Hell Outta Here
Whispering a Prayer (sweeeettt)
Bad Horsie (make love to your partner with this)
Juiced (Juiced!!)
Christmas Time Is Here (Xmas has passed, but he just makes you wanna do it again)
Blue Powder
Erotic Nightmares
Building The Church

ok thats enough for now..!!

420 FREAK
01-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Is anyone else sick of people saying that Steve Vai or the Satch have no soul when they've only listened to one song at the most?

PooKoo
01-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I've actually never heard that.

GibsonPuppeteer
01-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Is anyone else sick of people saying that Steve Vai or the Satch have no soul when they've only listened to one song at the most?
Yeah dude, they probably haven't heard Tender Surrender. Or For The Love Of God. Or Lotus Feet. Or any of the 7th songs for that matter.

Stratwizard
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM

The Crying Machine
Hand On Heart
Warm Regards
Bangkok
Fire Garden Suite
The Animal
Tender Surrender
The Attitude Song
Boston Rain Melody
Brandos Costumes (Gentle Ways)
Whispering A Prayer
Rescue Me Or Bury Me
Touching Tongues
Voodoo Acid
Christmas Time Is Here
Lotus Feet
Freak Show Excess

Stratwizard
01-20-2007, 04:13 PM
its almost impossible to play like Vai, maybe you could get close, but in terms of his style and abilities, its close to impossible..

His phrasing is pretty freaky. No one except Vai can play the solos from Tender Surrender and FTLOG.

Righteous
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Tender Surrender and Hand on Heart I think are among his best works. Oh, and **** Yourself, that's just funny.

dgme92
01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
hey thanks loads! he actually has really unique sound... cool! im listening to Tender Surrender now, hehehe!

xtopher_aaron
01-21-2007, 03:57 PM

i sir, am very much sick of that too.. even if it is just one song theyve listened to, i would really really love to hear which one. I havent found one Satch or Vai song that hasnt done it for me.. Maybe at first, a few songs did that, but after a listen or two, i find them all great..

Lycan
01-24-2007, 07:34 AM

them bastards need to listen to " Sisters ". It's definitely one of my favorite Vai songs even if it is on a acoustic. plus so many more of his songs, these people need to look beyond they're own nose's for ****s sake.

lacey_the_crazy
01-25-2007, 02:06 AM
if anyone's new to vai, i suggest the album: Steve Vai: an infinite anthology. it's practically 2 disks of the more popular songs. some good songs aren't on there though, like touching tongues and warm regards, melissa's garden either.

To be honest, while the infinite anthology is an amazing collection of his work, for pure listenability I prefer Passion and Warfare. It's just a really solid album and it showcases some of his best work, imo.

Carvin Abuser
01-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I like Vai's playing and tone a lot, I'd say he's technically the best guitarist I've ever heard. As with Satriani, I prefer his earlier albums, he sorta lost me after Fire Garden. I'd like to hear these guys get away from the shredding somewhat and back to rock and blues, like Satriani's self titled album, which I think is one of his best... but that's just me.

bucky_2300
01-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Vai was the first guitarist to make me look at the guitar as a vocal instrument.

wasp2020
01-25-2007, 03:22 PM
I've listened to the Anthology and Alien Love Secrets...I really like Tender Surrender, Juice, Frank, Die to Live, Christmas Time is Here, Crying Machine (from Fire Garden), Boston Rain Melody, Brandos Costumes, Whispering a Prayer, Feathers, ...but those sound like his simplest songs, in terms of composition... >_> But I still don't like a lot of his stuff...but I think the list accounts for a lot. Stuff like Tender Surrender is just amazing. He said in an interview that the solo was just improvised! The phrasing and all the techniques that segue in and out seamlessly is just fantastic. And the pure emotion in which he plays it...wow.

But my true devotion goes to Satch! :cool:

xtopher_aaron
01-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I like Vai's playing and tone a lot, I'd say he's technically the best guitarist I've ever heard. As with Satriani, I prefer his earlier albums, he sorta lost me after Fire Garden. I'd like to hear these guys get away from the shredding somewhat and back to rock and blues, like Satriani's self titled album, which I think is one of his best... but that's just me.

you should watch this video on youtube, i forgot whats it called, but it just shows Steve n Joe just chillin in a studio like environment, only the two of them being all so casual wit their guitars, they did a jam that was totally improvised. That was really something to remember. It was like 40mins long if im not mistaken, so maybe its on google video. You might wanna check that out.

mesa_92
01-26-2007, 05:44 AM
has anyone else seen Vai on the Eric Clapton crossroads DVD that performance is cool how the 4 players line up and play on each others necks does anyone know what that song is called that they play because i dont know where my case for the dvd is?

Scorzerci
01-26-2007, 07:17 AM
I haven't seen the crossroads DVD, but I'm assuming that it's the same song that is done with Vai, Macalpine, Sheehan and Weiner (*giggle*) in the G3 Live in Denver dvd when they all play each other's instruments. If that's the one, I think that the song is called "Juice", but it might be "I'm the hell outta here".

Stratwizard
01-26-2007, 10:10 AM
That song is called "I'm the Hell Outta Here".

bucky_2300
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
That's the second-best live performance of that I've seen. Best is live in Denver.

420 FREAK
01-26-2007, 06:17 PM
has anyone seen crossroads its a good movie and he plays for like 10 minutes in it

xtopher_aaron
01-26-2007, 10:15 PM
ive seen the clip of when Jack Butler does some 'cuttin heads' at the end. I think its the last bit of the movie. Vai gets pwned by a kid.. geess..

Stratwizard
01-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I've seen the whole movie. It's actually pretty good.

lobster624
01-27-2007, 03:40 PM
why isnt vai in G3 this year????

One Way Ticket
01-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Vai- IMO the greatest guitarist ever

bluespunkmetal
01-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Vai is busy with his solo album............ besides, Paul Gilbert pwns as well !!

Stratwizard
01-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Vai has a lot of work on his own this year. Real Illusions dvd, Aching Hunger dvd, new album... Personally, I'm glad he decided to do something worthwhile.

Scorzerci
01-28-2007, 11:21 AM
What's the aching hunger dvd? Do you know anything about the release date of the Real Illusions dvd?

Stratwizard
01-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Aching Hunger is the project with Metropole Orkest. Some of the shows were filmed and they will be released as a DVD soon (bootlegs are already available). As far as I know, the only release date that's been given for RI:R DVD is that it will be released some time in 2007.

GibsonPuppeteer
01-29-2007, 12:16 PM
ive seen the clip of when Jack Butler does some 'cuttin heads' at the end. I think its the last bit of the movie. Vai gets pwned by a kid.. geess..
Vai plays both parts.

Stratwizard
01-29-2007, 01:03 PM
What... what...?! So after all these years you're telling me Karate Kid didn't play Eugene's Trick Bag? :confused: :eek: Goddamn... I thought that wax on and wax off thing helped my alternate picking!

xxdarrenxx
01-29-2007, 01:14 PM
yeah that metropole orchestra thing is recorded near where I live. It was on local tv, and I really liked it.

xtopher_aaron
01-29-2007, 01:16 PM
What... what...?! So after all these years you're telling me Karate Kid didn't play Eugene's Trick Bag? Goddamn... I thought that wax on and wax off thing helped my alternate picking!

Vai plays both parts

emm.. well.. duhh.. i knew that..

and LOL!! to the wax on wax off.. HaHaHaHAAH

hoogie boogie
01-30-2007, 12:17 PM
STEVE VAI IS AMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

I can play The Animal, For The Love of God, The Crying Machine, And some of his DLR stuff :D:D

pavan
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
STEVE VAI IS AMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

I can play The Animal, For The Love of God, The Crying Machine, And some of his DLR stuff :D:D

I can relate to your excitement. The Animal in the Astoria DVD freaks me out sometimes.

lacey_the_crazy
01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
^^ x10 :headbang: That DVD made my life.
I only wish I could play his stuff, but I've been neglecting my guitar for some time now. I'd blame work, but what it comes down to in the end is drive and willpower, so really it's my own damn fault. :p:

hoogie boogie
01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
U said it!
I've watched that dvd millions of times...and it always seems to get better!

Can't wait for his Real Illusions Reflections tour to come out on dvd, and his neww ALBUM!! Plus the aching hunger dvd!

xxdarrenxx
01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
I have it but on video so can't upload it

Stratwizard
01-31-2007, 02:30 PM

You have what?

hoogie boogie
01-31-2007, 03:16 PM

Ur serious??!!!! how did u get it????

hoogie boogie
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Steve's hands are enournmous....any good ideas on how i can get mine that big?? :S

snowbert
01-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Steve's hands are enournmous....any good ideas on how i can get mine that big?? :S
touch steve's willy(or little stevey :D ) ;)

Stratwizard
01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
:rolleyes:

huk
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I wish Vai would do another album like Alien Love Secrets, namely one where he doesn't spend like 3 years combing though every note to make sure it has significance to some obscure story that only 3 people are going to understand.

lobster624
01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
just wondering what vai fans think of this http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Steve_Vai

if you're too lazy to click it heres part of it...

Steve Vai, born Alfred von der Reichenstafeln in Burgandy, Guatamala, 1993, is a legendary enthusiast of vast proportions. He is well-known as possessing the smallest penis known to man. His early life was brief, lasting perhaps 15 years, but it was to prove the most important of his still continuing existence. It was during those first 15 years that he met his mentor, Oscar Wilde, who himself was an avid enthusiast. He introduced Steve to many of his items, which fascinated the young lad. These items included brazing hearths, funeral expenses, the Daily Telepgrah, Rasputin, floppy discs, limited edition sandwhich presses (both eletrical and manual), surgically removed hands, lower bowels and retinas, holy relics, John Cleese, novelty onions, carpet sampler booklets, plastic benches, Cilit Bang, and Scott Humphries Jr VIIIIIIX. These items, and many, many, many more, were to set the wee boy on a course that would determine the rest of his years.

Scorzerci
01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
That was quite possibly the lamest thing I've ever read.

xxdarrenxx
01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
I haven't got the actually dvd but ii$ was aired on a local tv sow called 10 to 12(name referred to the time it begins).

Very nice indeed i was looking through some channels and suddenly i saw him being interviewed by a dutch guy and i thought shit. Just in time to grab a tape with soaps from my mom and record it.

Although still a bummer cause it was like no more then 6km away from my house (live practically in amsterdam) so I could have seen it live i guess.

Jongpil Yun
02-01-2007, 01:55 AM
Really, Vai's stuff gets on my nerves. Incredibly cheesy and his vibrato seems nauseating.

pavan
02-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Really, Vai's stuff gets on my nerves. Incredibly cheesy and his vibrato seems nauseating.

So then dont listen to it :rolleyes:

bluespunkmetal
02-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Jongpil....... I doubt you can even play Juice.....

Freepower
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
It's not to do with what he can play, for chrissakes...

Krazy_KoRn
02-03-2007, 10:38 PM
"i suck live, i think"---Steve Vai i love this guys playing

Hidde
02-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Anyone know what he's up to this year?

DeathOnTwoLegs
02-04-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm not sure if anybody's asked this already but why isn't he in this new G3 line-up?

pavan
02-04-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure if anybody's asked this already but why isn't he in this new G3 line-up?

He might be busy - working on a new album, releasing a new DVD.....

Night_Lights
02-04-2007, 03:00 AM
new album you say?

hoogie boogie
02-04-2007, 05:52 AM
at the moment he's working on the aching hunger dvd...

mothership
02-04-2007, 06:50 AM

im also depressed about live in the Astoria. lights are everywhere and hes performance on bad horsie was really annoying.

Stratwizard
02-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Anyone know what he's up to this year?

Aching Hunger and RI:R dvd's plus a new album. Vai said that 2007 will be a good year for Vai fans.

hoogie boogie
02-04-2007, 11:10 AM
go on youtube and type in steve vai orchestra....you'll blow ur heads off

tasty_lick
02-07-2007, 08:05 PM
He acts more and more like that wanky magician David copperfield....i still love his playing tho

mangablade
02-14-2007, 07:06 PM
One of the most tasteful Shredders that i know of. Being with you (in Paris) is one of the best guitar/valentine songs you could ask for! :p:

Erich yeung
02-17-2007, 02:00 AM
It;s gay cause the only time G3 comes to ****ing Canada, and Vai's not on. He adds so much excitement and just a new flavour on things. I mean joe's got the melody and cool phrases, vai's whammy/stage antics/legato ownage, and then paul's sick picking, string skipping and sequences. Instead we get poopy pants petrucci ( some good alliteration, eh :p:) who I like by all means, but is not a very interesting match up with another alternate picking based guy (PG). I mean Petrucci's just plain boring, but he fits well with vai and joe, actually everyone fits well with vai and joe (cept EJ perhaps) but this time no VAI! WTF very angry right now, man

Godly Moose
02-17-2007, 02:05 AM

I personally love his vibrato.

Douglas_Kouslak
02-17-2007, 02:12 AM
It;s gay cause the only time G3 comes to ****ing Canada, and Vai's not on. He adds so much excitement and just a new flavour on things. I mean joe's got the melody and cool phrases, vai's whammy/stage antics/legato ownage, and then paul's sick picking, string skipping and sequences. Instead we get poopy pants petrucci ( some good alliteration, eh :p:) who I like by all means, but is not a very interesting match up with another alternate picking based guy (PG). I mean Petrucci's just plain boring, but he fits well with vai and joe, actually everyone fits well with vai and joe (cept EJ perhaps) but this time no VAI! WTF very angry right now, man

True, Vai sould have been there and no Pettruci. Pettruci make some pretty good stuff, but I dont think and alternate based played fit as well as an freak guitarist like vai on G3.

Stratwizard
02-17-2007, 04:56 AM
I personally love his vibrato.

Yeah, me too. It's very expressive and he can always alter it to suit the song.

tasty_lick
02-17-2007, 05:34 AM
My problem with Vai is I hate 95% of his MUSIC but love his guitar playing

mangablade
02-18-2007, 06:31 AM
i actually LOVE 95% of his music, inc the experimental or avant-garde stuff.

I dl'd teh discography off of uTorrent. 180 or so songs in the playlist, good listening :D

Erich yeung
02-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I actually find his experimental stuff irritating, like freakshow excess. (though I do like Fire garden suite) I find his more conventional songs better, like windows to the soul, and the audience is listening. (as conventional as vai can be :p:)

Stratwizard
02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, some of his "experimental" stuff is just shit. Although, some of his weirder songs are my favourites.

Godly Moose
02-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I actually find his experimental stuff irritating, like freakshow excess. (though I do like Fire garden suite) I find his more conventional songs better, like windows to the soul, and the audience is listening. (as conventional as vai can be :p:)

Freak Show Excess is one of my favorite songs from Real Illusions. :(

Zaphod_Beeblebr
02-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Freak Show Excess isn't experimental per se, he was just writing in a way that western ears are not accustomed to, i'll bet they'd like it in Bulgaria, or Hungary, or whereever he said he got the inspiration from (I don't remember too good)

Scorzerci
02-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Freak Show Excess is my favourite song by far on RI:R.

Godly Moose
02-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Freak Show Excess isn't experimental per se, he was just writing in a way that western ears are not accustomed to, i'll bet they'd like it in Bulgaria, or Hungary, or whereever he said he got the inspiration from (I don't remember too good)

The song was inspired by Bulgarian wedding music.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
02-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I knew it was one of the two, i just can't be bothered to search for a video just to jog my memory for a discussion i'll have forgotten by tomorrow lol

Stratwizard
02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FV51itmcuA

Here's the video where he talks about the song.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Y'know what? the Inspiration is unimportant, the thing that is important is that it only sounds experimental because it has rhythmic patterns and scales/modes that we, as western music listeners, aren't used to.

Godly Moose
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Y'know what? the Inspiration is unimportant, the thing that is important is that it only sounds experimental because it has rhythmic patterns and scales/modes that we, as western music listeners, aren't used to.

I listen to Indian music, as well as Middle Eastern, as well as Jazz...

Erich yeung
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I listen to oriental music, lol, I'm chinese..... but I don't know I just find that song so weird! lol

Baroque_and_Rol
02-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Am I the only one who prefers RI:R to PAW? I love all of vai's stuff but that album is my favorite. Maybe its because it was my first....

PooKoo
02-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Blah, I don't like fire garden suite.
I do like freak show excess, or at least I did, it got old. My favorite right now is the crying MACHINE.

Erich yeung
02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Ive never heard that song? Ive heard the crying machine, and it rules. If you didn't just get the name of the song wrong, what album is it off of? I don't think I've ever heard of that song.

PooKoo
02-18-2007, 11:46 PM
haha shit, maybe it's the crying machine, I think I'm mixing up my movies and my song titles again.

lobster624
02-19-2007, 01:28 AM
anyone think vai will make any special guest appearances at G3...? i am really hoping he does and if he does i hope its at the concert i'm going to...obviously

Erich yeung
02-19-2007, 02:46 AM
No hes showing up at the one I'm going to!!!! :angry: I'll fight you! GRRRRRRRRRR FEAR ME!

Stratwizard
02-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Am I the only one who prefers RI:R to PAW? I love all of vai's stuff but that album is my favorite. Maybe its because it was my first....

It's definitely a good album. I like the songwriting on both of them, maybe even more on RI:R, but I prefer the P&W tone.

bucky_2300
02-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Some of Vai's stuff on Passion... still is unlistenable for me. In particular, Ballerina 12/24 and Alien Water Kiss. The latter is just noise, and the former seems to be a "Hey, look what this gizmo can make my guitar sound like!" exercise.

scotguitar
02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
My favourite vai solo has to be 'Big trouble' from the eat'em and smile album or the start or 'the riddle ' really love that stuff

stuff like 'when i was a little boy' 'beer beer' or even 'lotus feet' dont really interest me at all

Stratwizard
02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Some of Vai's stuff on Passion... still is unlistenable for me. In particular, Ballerina 12/24 and Alien Water Kiss. The latter is just noise, and the former seems to be a "Hey, look what this gizmo can make my guitar sound like!" exercise.

Well, everything can be called music...

So, you ordered your JEM then?

bucky_2300
02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, everything can be called music...

So, you ordered your JEM then?

Yeah, it just doesn't appeal to my ears. It's kind of like listening to Behold... The Arctopus. If you sit and listen for long enough you can begin to pull odd melodies and structures out of it, and it can be quite brilliant, but it's too densely mixed for my tastes.

Yes! I phoned two guitar stores on Saturday, one of them had a firm price of $2495, the other had a price of $2618 but was willing to drop down to $2445. So I went into the second place, put $1300 down, and tomorrow my 7V will be ordered from the distributor. It could be anywhere from a week to three months, depending on whether or not it's in stock in Montreal or it has to come from Japan.

EDIT: I still have one question though - are those four upper frets scalloped on yours? I've seen pictures on the web that clearly show scalloping, but the pictures on Ibanez's USA website don't show scalloping.

Resiliance
02-19-2007, 03:30 PM
^They should be.

I think...

bucky_2300
02-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I'm just confused because I've seen pictures that show scalloped and un-scalloped frets. www.jemsite.com just gives some info on the scalloping methods, so I'm assuming that it is done on production 7Vs.

Stratwizard
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM
EDIT: I still have one question though - are those four upper frets scalloped on yours? I've seen pictures on the web that clearly show scalloping, but the pictures on Ibanez's USA website don't show scalloping.

Yes, they are scalloped on mine and they should be also scalloped in yours too. http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=JEM7V&i=122#detail
I think the scalloping is pretty visible in this pic.

bucky_2300
02-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah, now that I look closer I can see it.

Thanks!

Erich yeung
02-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Yea i got a jem 555, I mean its cheaper, but I honestly believe from a normal guitar's standpoint, it is still an excellent guitar. The only thing is I want to put an edge pro on it. Any idea on how much that would cost? Right now I only got the edge pro 2, but my jem has the dugout section for the edge pro.

Baroque_and_Rol
02-19-2007, 10:37 PM
My favourite vai solo has to be 'Big trouble' from the eat'em and smile album or the start or 'the riddle ' really love that stuff

stuff like 'when i was a little boy' 'beer beer' or even 'lotus feet' dont really interest me at all
Where do you fit Lotus feet in with that group?

scotguitar
02-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Where do you fit Lotus feet in with that group?

I dont like either styles is what i'm saying..

ExploreEpiphone
02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
How can i get VAi's Tone!!!?? i really love his sound do i need to get effects or a certain amp etc.... id like something like his clear lead chorusy high sound for slos and such it sounds great id like a sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qIqZ9LWsY&mode=related&search=
but im not sure how to get it. This guy uses a tc electronic g major and im thinking of getting one is that enough?

bucky_2300
02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Pretty much everything Vai uses is either custom-built like his Ibanez JEMs and Carvin Legacy amps or modded. But that basic tone you're describing would come from a mid-high gain setup, with a nice amp and guitar with most likely an alder body and high-output pickups.

Stratwizard
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Updates on the anticipated Aching Hunger dvd and cd:

http://vai.com/AllAboutSteve/postcards.html

Baroque_and_Rol
02-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I dont like either styles is what i'm saying..
ohh..... i think its one of the greatest pieces of art that has blessed the human ear, but to each his own...

One Way Ticket
02-23-2007, 01:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhiGZKaDLYU&NR

If anybody can post a better Vai performance, I will be very happy. Enjoy.

Stratwizard
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
His tone... ouch... :(

TheUltimateSin
02-24-2007, 08:31 PM
"Louisiana Swamp Swank" = Interesting song

How can i get VAi's Tone!!!?? i really love his sound do i need to get effects or a certain amp etc.... id like something like his clear lead chorusy high sound for slos and such it sounds great id like a sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-qIqZ9LWsY&mode=related&search=
but im not sure how to get it. This guy uses a tc electronic g major and im thinking of getting one is that enough?

Eh....unless your name happens to be Steve Vai, you're not going to get his tone. A lot of the tone come from the player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhiGZKaDLYU&NR

If anybody can post a better Vai performance, I will be very happy. Enjoy.

I find both of these to be better, personally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7wRUxBM3io
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb9h0J_ajA

soul_power
02-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I want the Carvin X100B (Amp he used before they custom made his legacy signature). Carvin makes some kick ass stuff.

eXor
02-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I want the Carvin X100B (Amp he used before they custom made his legacy signature). Carvin makes some kick ass stuff.
Steve played Bogner Ecstacy amps before he got the signature Carvin, he played the X100B in the early 80's when he was stil playing in Frank Zappa's Band ;)

NaivexLi
02-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Carvin makes amazing stuff, especially for the price.

I have to agree with TheUltimateSin

Is his best performance

just incredible

TheUltimateSin
02-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Is his best performance

just incredible

Well, it's certainly astronomically better than the one in the post I responded to about anyway :)

Scorzerci
02-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Carvin makes amazing stuff, especially for the price.

Is his best performance

just incredible
Awesome!

TheUltimateSin
02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Here's an "interesting" video.

Steve Vai, the Halo 2 fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANvPDsppN4&mode=related&search=)* :)

*Audio quality is...."meh"

NaivexLi
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Here's an "interesting" video.

Steve Vai, the Halo 2 fan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ANvPDsppN4&mode=related&search=)* :)

*Audio quality is...."meh"

Not best quality, but the video is still pretty cool, even though I'm not a halo fan.

And there is nothing really wrong with the Live At Astoria "The Attitude Song".
Just not his best.

Although I have to say I love that entire dvd, even though so many people complain about the strange and kind of corny camera tricks.

TheUltimateSin
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Not best quality, but the video is still pretty cool, even though I'm not a halo fan.

And there is nothing really wrong with the Live At Astoria "The Attitude Song".
Just not his best.

Although I have to say I love that entire dvd, even though so many people complain about the strange and kind of corny camera tricks.

Oh believe me, I have nothing against The Attitude Song. Just, in my humble opinion, the two songs I posted of him performing with The Metropole Orchestra are superior, in epicness(I may have made that word up....>_>) and in sound(Or tone, if you prefer that word). And also better in sheer performance and execution of the songs.

But again, that's just me. :)

public property
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdExoWzrUrE for people who like vai in his 'shredding' days

Stratwizard
02-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Good stuff...

xtopher_aaron
03-03-2007, 02:47 PM
so heres a rather interesting story.. about my obsession with Mr.Vai

I was about to have my named changed the other day.. Cos my biological dad left, and my mom would like it if i changed my name to my new dads surname, which is Van Huizen. The new dad is really nice, hes been there through all the hard times.. so i agreed..

but then, i said, while im at it, i might as well change my middle name too.. so i did..

now my official full name stands as

Christopher Vai Van Huizen..

obsessive i know.. but i am rather fond of Steve.. by that i mean.. VERY FOND OF..

bluespunkmetal
03-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Liar.... show us some legal papers......

Stratwizard
03-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Just take the "Van Huizen" part out and start using only the "Christopher Vai". :p:

I hope you're not this fond of Vai though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAi-2a5SgxA

xtopher_aaron
03-04-2007, 10:26 AM
to bluespunkmetal,

i only recently had the legal forms sent to the appropriate offices, when it is ready, i will either PM you personally and/or post it in this thread..

to Stratwizard,

doing that would make the original intent of changing my name pointless.. but i duno, my new dad has been around since i was like 7, im 21 now.. so i guess its worth it..

however the short version would sound cool!! Chris Vai.. hehhe

Witch-king
03-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Just take the "Van Huizen" part out and start using only the "Christopher Vai". :p:

I hope you're not this fond of Vai though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAi-2a5SgxA

HOLY SHIT! :haha :haha :haha

What a FREAK.

"steve I wish this was your dick"

*starts deepthroating carrot*

NaivexLi
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Thats really creepy
and I think I may have nightmares about that girl now.

bluespunkmetal
03-05-2007, 09:15 AM
^ROFLCOPTORZ !!

Post them papers !!

Magero
03-05-2007, 09:38 AM
What
THe
****!

Cheesepuff
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Damn! Now all I have to do is become as good as Steve Vai and I'll have a girl doing eh... that and a dude who changed to my name! Sweet!

lilrocknroller
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Steve Vai Is The Best Guitarist In The World

xtopher_aaron
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
^ i like your thinking..

sadly alot of people think different.. but anyways..
hes undeniably great..

lobster624
03-06-2007, 01:05 AM
how many halo songs did he play on?

EDIT: and for the heck of it...Vai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierC-kbhM1Q&mode=related&search=), something i think some vai fans haven't seen.

TheUltimateSin
03-06-2007, 01:57 AM

As far as I know, just the theme for Halo 2 :)

xtopher_aaron
03-06-2007, 02:01 AM
if im not mistaken theres 2 or 3..

u should check out his site news, i read about it a while ago, but ive forgotten the exact number.

i wish he would do a Killzone soundtrack.. just cause i like Killzone better.. hhahha

For me he could kick bottoms on any soundtrack.. hes that good...

public property
03-06-2007, 03:21 AM
EDIT: and for the heck of it...Vai (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierC-kbhM1Q&mode=related&search=), something i think some vai fans haven't seen.

You're so far behind me you have no idea, I think I must have seen every vai video on the net :P

alexlemon2
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok I'm thinking about picking up a Steve Vai album soon but I'm not really sure where to start. I think The Infinite Steve Vai: An Anthology would be a good starting place, but what do you guys recommend to a Vai "noob"? :p:

Stratwizard
03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Alien Love Secrets and Fire Garden.

eXor
03-06-2007, 12:57 PM
^^

that, Passion & Warfare and real illusions of course;)

Stratwizard
03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Bah, I think Passion and Warfare is terribly overrated.

Scorzerci
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
PAW and Real Illusions: Reflections are my favourite Vai cd's that I own (out of: fire garden, the ultra zone, RI:R and PAW),

Chubbes_Hammet
03-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Steve Vai is definetly one of my favorite guitarists...Songs like ,"whispering a prayer" are sooooooo awesome!! He's also alot better than Joe Satriani! His teacher...I find that funny...Oh, and Passion and warfare is cool album..

public property
03-06-2007, 02:16 PM
steve vai is a hard subject of where to start on, the easy answer is the anthology because it has a wide range of his stuff. But tbh if you want to know alot about how he sounds get flexible, P&E, Alien love secrets, fire garden, ultra zone, alive in an ultra world and real illusions....ofc thats all his albums, but each one has a mood and feel that some people like or hate.

xtopher_aaron
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
has anyone heard "Little Pieces Of Seaweed" ?

omg.. i love steve vai, but you must find this song so bloody annoying. hhahha.. But i love Steve so much, i tend to find it very artistic..

mrmo
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Bah, I think Passion and Warfare is terribly overrated.

Me too. I prefer Fire Garden.
Flex-able is kind of funny too. :)

NaivexLi
03-06-2007, 06:30 PM

If I'm not mistaken, isnt that actually an Yngwie solo since Vai replaced him for Alcatraz?

I dont know, maybe its just me but I'm not a big fan of the Alcatraz days for Vai.
He wasnt really able to do his own thing as much.

public property
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Lots of the songs he played were yngwie songs and tbh he did a crap job at them since his picking sucked balls before DLR days. he has this crappy sitar interlude too on one of the video clips that makes me yawn. His legato is still smooth like a hookers ass at that time though.

NaivexLi
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Lots of the songs he played were yngwie songs and tbh he did a crap job at them .

So I'm not the only one who see's it that way.

His legato is still smooth like a hookers ass at that time though.

:cheers:

and that, my friend, was one of the best comparisons I've heard in a long long time.

bucky_2300
03-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Lots of the songs he played were yngwie songs and tbh he did a crap job at them since his picking sucked balls before DLR days. he has this crappy sitar interlude too on one of the video clips that makes me yawn. His legato is still smooth like a hookers ass at that time though.

I'm still trying to figure out what the balls he is doing on God Blessed Video.

public property
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Delay + pull offs in 5ths / 4ths mostly to produce a smooth rythmn.
My favourite vai period alcatrazz song is desert diamond, hes got alot of creative influence there. Nice solo too.

Baroque_and_Rol
03-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Anybody else psyched about Sound Current?

public property
03-09-2007, 06:15 AM
I am, but since I was at the show its a little less special ;)

Stratwizard
03-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I'm really excited about all the Vai releases this year.

bucky_2300
03-09-2007, 01:22 PM
They look really promising. Should be a banner year for us Vai fans. :)

Baroque_and_Rol
03-12-2007, 02:25 PM
what else is he putting out?

rattleheadxvi
03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I just learned yankee rose. Not a vai song i know but has some good playing. Should i be congratulating myself or merely indifferent? I'll be honest it could be tighter as well but i've been playing 3 years self taught.

Quote:
"I'd recognise those balls anywhere"

public property
03-13-2007, 09:33 PM
It's not the hardest, but as with all 'song' songs. Being tight is about the most important thing you can do, so get cracking.

Guitargod12345
03-14-2007, 03:04 PM
The intro to Building the Church is hella hard.

hamacker
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Surely not for you Guitar god. :)

lobster624
03-15-2007, 09:31 PM
anyone ever hear wipeout 2000? i found it on lime wire but don't know what album it's on. i think it is freakin' sweet.

public property
03-17-2007, 05:23 AM
That bumble bee interlude is imba :P

blue_strat
03-17-2007, 07:31 AM
going to the vai workshop at LGS 07 :)

calebrocker
03-17-2007, 02:41 PM

once you practice and get it down, it's really easy. i love the real illusions album, i want to get it. but the g3 version of building the church is so much better than the real illusions version IMO.

Stratwizard
06-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Listen For The Love Of God and The Murder from Sound Theories from Steve's MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/stevevai)

Thoughts?

NaivexLi
06-12-2007, 10:33 AM
I think that version of For The Love Of God is about the most beautiful thing ever written.

I love it ^.^

I'm sure that entire album is nothing short of amazing.

tubab0y
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
he's decent.

;)

TheUltimateSin
06-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I think that version of For The Love Of God is about the most beautiful thing ever written.

I love it ^.^

:eek:

I AGREE.

I assume that it is part of the set he will be doing when I see him in September, yes?

:D

50's strat
06-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I dont know why, but I dont care for him that much. I usueally like slower music like his but I really couldnt get into it. I like buckethead, malmsteen, then petrucci, etc., but for some reason, not him.

lobster624
06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
i'm not sure i understand what you are saying...

what do you mean by "slower"...? i'm pretty sure shred isn't considered "slower" music. petrucci, malmsteen, and buckethead all play fast...

TheUltimateSin
06-12-2007, 10:32 PM
i'm not sure i understand what you are saying...

what do you mean by "slower"...? i'm pretty sure shred isn't considered "slower" music. petrucci, malmsteen, and buckethead all play fast...

There is far more to it than speed.

Vai, Buckethead, and others all also have slower pieces. And actually, I(personally) am much more fond of Bucketheads slower music to be honest.

lobster624
06-12-2007, 10:51 PM
There is far more to it than speed.

Vai, Buckethead, and others all also have slower pieces. And actually, I(personally) am much more fond of Bucketheads slower music to be honest.

i know they have slower pieces and by no means do i listen to shred for speed. i was just saying normally when you think of shred you don't think of it as necessarily being slow.

TheUltimateSin
06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
i know they have slower pieces and by no means do i listen to shred for speed. i was just saying normally when you think of shred you don't think of it as necessarily being slow.

Oh I undsrstand what you were getting at completely. I was just implying that when I, anyway, think of "shred", speed has little to do with what comes to mind, and that I actually prefer the slower stuff.

ITSTIMETOROCK
06-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Oh I undsrstand what you were getting at completely. I was just implying that when I, anyway, think of "shred", speed has little to do with what comes to mind, and that I actually prefer the slower stuff.
dude im also going to that show in your sig!! i already have my tickets!yussss.
anyway,
whispering a prayer is one of the most beautiful pieces of music i've ever heard

TheUltimateSin
06-13-2007, 01:25 AM
dude im also going to that show in your sig!! i already have my tickets!yussss.

Really? That would make you the second Uger going that I know of. I'm actually meeting the other guy, since he has the seats right next to mine.

Main Floor Row D! WOO HOO!!

50's strat
06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I dunno now, I listened to "for the love of god" and then listened to it again and now im hooked. Kinda odd, the other day I was just "oh well, I dont find anythign special in this music" then I looked through all the other ones and all I can say is amazing.

And yes as others were saying I still like buckethead; I have electric tears and kaleidoscalp and love the slow, clean tones. Its just nice to listen to something that sounds so wonderfull and I was bored and after listening to "For the love of god" I spent 2 more hours listening to vai and buckethead. Both are amazing; I wish I could get their tone. (Except for its neck, body, and pickguard, my strat sucks. With max treble the neck pickups still have barely any kick and the bridge is too thin sounding even with 3/4 bass on, and my bridge where the tremolo screws in has pretty much stripped and the tremolo arm is insanely loose and barely has any effect on my playing now.)

Stratwizard
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey man, I've got a 50's Strat too. Hated the pickups as well, but after changing them, I'm in love with the guitar. Got it in 2 tone sunburst.

/off topic

50's strat
06-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Hey man, I've got a 50's Strat too. Hated the pickups as well, but after changing them, I'm in love with the guitar. Got it in 2 tone sunburst.

/off topic

Sweet, what pickups did you get?

Also, did you have the same problem witht the tremolo? My tremolo arm wasnt even screwed in for months yet it was randomly somehow stripped almost fully so my tremolo arm barely stays in.

Stratwizard
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Now I've got YJM, HS-3 and HS-2. Well, I've never had that problem with the tremolo arm, but I don't use it much anymore cause my fatass cousin sat on it and now it's impossible to put back to the tremolo anymore (too lazy to buy new one lol), not to mention how hard it was to get of the guitar after that.

50's strat
06-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Now I've got YJM, HS-3 and HS-2. Well, I've never had that problem with the tremolo arm, but I don't use it much anymore cause my fatass cousin sat on it and now it's impossible to put back to the tremolo anymore (too lazy to buy new one lol), not to mention how hard it was to get of the guitar after that.

Lol maybe ill just trade my guitar someday after ive got a new amp. Anyone know how much a jem costs? :D

Uhh, nvm, whats another good ibanez that is affordable? Maybe ill just get a usa strat, a lp and mod it, or a jazzmaster.

TheUltimateSin
06-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Uhh, nvm, whats another good ibanez that is affordable?

Check the current page of the chat thread above. I was just having a discussion about that.

Slayer224
06-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Could someone recommend me one of his more laid-back, melodic type album?

I've got Passion of Warfare, and I wanna check out more of his work.

SnowballofDoom
06-21-2007, 01:56 AM
The 7th Song is probably your best bet; it's a compilation though, which you might not be looking for.

Slayer224
06-21-2007, 04:06 AM
^ No, I think thats exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

ravenrage07
06-23-2007, 09:54 PM
This may be off topic but in the song Bad Horsie, what kind of slide does Vai use? Like what material and brand? Brass, Steel, Glass?

tubab0y
06-23-2007, 10:09 PM
steel, i think. at nothing else it matches the guitar (and him, for that matter.)

ravenrage07
06-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Can you provide me a URL for a really good steel slide that would do that kind of sound he does?

bucky_2300
06-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Lol maybe ill just trade my guitar someday after ive got a new amp. Anyone know how much a jem costs? :D

Uhh, nvm, whats another good ibanez that is affordable? Maybe ill just get a usa strat, a lp and mod it, or a jazzmaster.

A JEM costs a lot. You do, however, get one amazing guitar out of it.

public property
06-24-2007, 04:17 AM
Best thing about the jem is the dynamic interface it provides, I've never played a guitar where you can control so much even on distortion.

Baroque_and_Rol
06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
After playing a Jem and a Satriani guitar, and comparing, I think the Satch model's a bit better overall.

MaltedMilk
06-24-2007, 03:06 PM
What exactly do you mean by the 'dynamic interface'?
j/w

Baroque_and_Rol
06-24-2007, 03:09 PM
tone/volume/pickup controls

public property
06-24-2007, 04:10 PM
The pickups I think is alot of it, but depending how you play, the sound changes completely, you can have a full note that rings out properly, but being more gentle has a bigger effect than I've had on any guitar I've played.

Paper Snowman
06-24-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not rich enough to buy a new JEM, and not risky enough to get a used one off eBay. SO many of them are fake.

Slayer224
06-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Man, JEM's have to be one of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen. Especially the JEM7V, with its gorgeous white body and gold hardware... *drools*

Definitely buying one when I'm much older and rich. :D

Paper Snowman
06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
How 'bout Vai's Triple-neck? That thing must have been a b!tch to use, but it is a beautiful guitar. If I got to have any of Steve's guitars, it would be Flo.

Stratwizard
06-25-2007, 10:10 AM
My favourites of Steve's guitars besides the 7VWHs.

http://vai.com/Machines/images/guitars/gtr008LRG.jpg
http://vai.com/Machines/images/guitars/gtr030LRG.jpg
http://vai.com/Machines/images/guitars/gtr019.jpg

bucky_2300
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Man, JEM's have to be one of the sexiest guitars I've ever seen. Especially the JEM7V, with its gorgeous white body and gold hardware... *drools*

Definitely buying one when I'm much older and rich. :D

They look even better in person, trust me. I almost spooged myself when I opened the case for the first time.

But you know, I'm assuming you're about the same age range as me (I'm 17,) and all it took for me to afford a JEM7V was about eight months of working. And if I'd had a proper job instead of my guitar teaching gig which had very variable pay, it would have taken more along the lines of seven or six. It takes some effort and saving, but it's well worth it! :cheers:

The pickups I think is alot of it, but depending how you play, the sound changes completely, you can have a full note that rings out properly, but being more gentle has a bigger effect than I've had on any guitar I've played.

I'm pretty sure it is the pickups. There's a certain amount of all the wire and wood coming together, but EVOs are fantastic pickups. They make you play cleaner too, don't they? A friend of mine tried my JEM and couldn't stand it, because he was so sloppy. His guitar's pickups let him get away with a lot more than the JEM's.

But of course, when you play clean and nail everything, they pay back in spades with tone and articulation.

My favourites of Steve's guitars besides the 7VWHs.

I was always a fan of the very early-90s models of JEM, with the ridiculously bright neon colours and disappearing pyramid inlays.

Never liked the seven stringers, though. Not sure why, I've just never felt like I want to move outside of the six-string realm.

Stratwizard
06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
But you know, I'm assuming you're about the same age range as me (I'm 17,) and all it took for me to afford a JEM7V was about eight months of working. And if I'd had a proper job instead of my guitar teaching gig which had very variable pay, it would have taken more along the lines of seven or six. It takes some effort and saving, but it's well worth it! :cheers:

Agreed. I'm 17 too and to afford the JEM I just saved all my money I could get, and it took about six months to get the money together.

Hidde
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
They make you play cleaner too, don't they?

I've heard that too. I think it's because the pickups are so high quality that you can hear even the smallest mistakes.

Baroque_and_Rol
06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I've heard that too. I think it's because the pickups are so high quality that you can hear even the smallest mistakes.
The dimarzios on my strat don't let you get away with anything, which is good in the long run.

Stratwizard
06-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Quite frankly, I don't think any pickups really hide your mistakes or lets you get away with them. If it feels like your pickups reveal your mistakes, you're just sloppy! :p:

bucky_2300
06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
^ Let's get Jimmy Page a JEM and test that theory!

Stratwizard
06-25-2007, 03:17 PM
No! I don't want Page to rape the divine instrument with his disgustingly sloppy playing! :puke:

DaFjory
06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have a provisional setlist for his tour yet? When I see him in a month's time, I'll want to know if I'm getting my money's worth in terms of songs.

bucky_2300
06-25-2007, 04:15 PM
^ You hardly need to know the setlist to know you'll get your money's worth.

No! I don't want Page to rape the divine instrument with his disgustingly sloppy playing! :puke:

:p:

DaFjory
06-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Not necessarily true, from what a friend told me about G3 '06. If he plays anything off Real Illusions, I'll grimace...

bucky_2300
06-25-2007, 06:22 PM
^ Why even bother going then? Personally, I thought Real Illusions was a great album. And he's going to play tracks from it.

Hidde
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Not necessarily true, from what a friend told me about G3 '06. If he plays anything off Real Illusions, I'll grimace...

It wasn't Passion and Warfare but it was a good album.

CanCan
06-26-2007, 06:17 AM
I'm seeing him July 10th. Oh boy, can't wait.

Baroque_and_Rol
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Picking up the new album today :D

Stratwizard
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I pre-ordered it. We'll see how long it takes to ship from US to Finland.

DashBlaster
06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
I love Steve Vai and all, but in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5h3cUbgxwk), you can see at the beginning when he is tapping, there is a keyboard also playing. Is he really playing, or is it just the keyboard? After he takes his pick out of his mouth, he hits the volume knob and turns it up, as well. The tapping also sounds like a keyboard more than a guitar. Opinions?

Stratwizard
06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, he's really playing it. There's just keyboard in the background. If I remember right, he talks about that tapping lick in the DVD commentary track.

public property
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Anyone got the new album yet? I've heard only good reviews about it so far...

TheUltimateSin
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Does anyone have a provisional setlist for his tour yet? When I see him in a month's time, I'll want to know if I'm getting my money's worth in terms of songs.

Knowing the setlist ruins the show. When I see him in September, I'd rather not know what to expect him to play. It would seem more enjoyable to me that way to be surprised.

Hidde
06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Picking up the new album today :D

Is that today?

I'm pretty out of the loop, is this the second part of real illusion?

SnowballofDoom
06-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Anyone got the new album yet? I've heard only good reviews about it so far...

I just picked it up a little while ago, I can't imagine anyone will be disappointed.

The production in particular is incredible. And the music of course :p:

Hidde, no, it's not RI part 2; Sound Theories vol. I (disc one) is an album with Vai playing along with the Metropole Orkest to renditions of his songs, vol. II (disc two) is the orchestra playing songs Vai composed.

Baroque_and_Rol
06-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Frangelica pt. 2 = :heart:

'Floods!'
06-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Most technically gifted electric guitarist ever, bar none.

chase09
06-28-2007, 01:49 AM
Most technically gifted electric guitarist ever, bar none.

Definitely not. Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, and Paul Gilbert are all technically superior, and there are many others as well.

Stratwizard
06-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Besides, how can one exactly be technically gifted?

TheUltimateSin
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Definitely not. Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, and Paul Gilbert are all technically superior, and there are many others as well.

That's what I was gonna say =/

Hidde
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Rusty and Petrucci too. You might be able to make a case for Satch also.

Freepower
06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Lets leave it at this - hundreds of others.

Vai's selling point has never really been his technique when it comes to comparison with other guitarists. That chap could transcribe a room full of people talking, or birds in the morning - and play something which gave an equivalent feel. The only (rock-ish) guitarists i know capable of the former are those Guthrie and Shawn chaps - and those two plus Vai are probably my favourite guitarists by far. :)

public property
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
His composing abilities for more instruments than just guitar excels both of those guitarists by miles which is more than evident from his new cd.