The Usual "I Need Help With My Band"

PDA

View Full Version : The Usual "I Need Help With My Band"

HyperBoy2519
01-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Ok so my band has been around for about 5 months now and we have gotten jack shit done. Why you ask? well let me describe my band

-i am the lead guitarist and slowly becoming the main songwriter of the group. Not extremely talented but talented enought that 99% of the stuff i come up with my bandmates like. I am also learning to sing by singing along with all the covers we play :cool: (haha). Keep this in mind.

-my bass player is by far the best bass player in the city. He was the first member of the band to join with me, like i recruited him. Hes my best friend and he and I write extremely well together and is insanely good at bass. Cant sing, but it doesnt matter. He is backup.

here comes the trouble.

-my rhythm guitarist and "singer" cannot siong worth shit and cannot play guitar well. He cant keep time well and all his songs (like my bass player said) sound like Dr Seuss rhymes. His music he writes isnt that great. Whenever we meet for band practice, he turns his ****ing DS 1 up so far it overpowers me and just sounds like mud. He also has that problem where hes like in love with an artist and models him in every way. In his case its Tom Delonge.

-My drummer. Great drummer. great friend. problem is...he is ****ing COMPLETELY addicted to WoW. Ive lost my drummer and my rhythm guitarist to WoW. Hes critical of music and therefore really looks my stuff over hard and ives me honest opinons. He also is kinda flakey and never has his goddamn kit and doesnt decide to tell me until i ask him "wheres your kit" at practice.

Now the problem is, my bass player and i want to go somewhere. the BOTB at my school is in two months, and we dont have one song completely written or recorded. My bass player and I will be trying to write something, and my damn rhythm will be playing a Foo Fighters song in the background.

Im not sure what to do. I love the two guys but im really getting tired of nto being able to do what i want to do because my other guitarist sucks and my drummers a flake. Any ideas? i do have another drummer who wants to start a band with me but i dont want to lose my current drummer as a friend. Thanks.

deathmetalboy
01-14-2007, 12:57 AM
wow that sucks ill join ur band i am a killer guitarist. as for the drummer, go to his house when hes not there, uninstall WoW, smash the cd in a million pieces.

blmstng7
01-14-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm sorry but if your life is over run by a video game your a loser

deathmetalboy
01-14-2007, 01:05 AM
its not him thats addicted to WoW idiot...

appetite4gnr
01-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Kicking people out of bands is the hardest shit ever. I recently had to kick a drummer out because he was terrible. He doesn't have time to play drums cuz he's up his g/f's ass so much. so he left his kit in my basement, and I let our new drummer use it like twice. so now the old guy found out and wants to take us to "small-claims court" because apparently we dented up his heads, cracked his sticks, and broke his drum throne...lol watch out for shit like that.

Blockythebass
01-14-2007, 01:21 AM
like my old history teacher used to say, "Don't have the backbone of a chocolate Euclare."

if you want your band to be good you need to kick the guitarist out, if he sucks he's only gonna bring you down.
the drummer is still salvagable, talk to him and if he's still just wants to play his vids, bring in the other drummer.

tbsff_7
01-14-2007, 01:40 AM
hey dont make fun of the foo fighters while you have a fricken sum 41 avatar

and kick the rythem guy out
try to convince the drummer to concentrate a little more on drums and a little less on WoW

HyperBoy2519
01-14-2007, 02:48 AM
hey dont make fun of the foo fighters while you have a fricken sum 41 avatar

and kick the rythem guy out
try to convince the drummer to concentrate a little more on drums and a little less on WoW

OH NO in no way was i making fun of the Foo Fighters, i love them, its just that while we are trying to write my other guitarist is busy playing other songs. He doesnt even contribute and then complains about how we dont "include him."

AmazinAzian014
01-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Well basically, everything that's been said has pretty much happened to me. At my age, theres nobody really down for the long haul to get serious with music anyways, so lookig back I shouldn't have expected much. Anyways, I had all the equipment and the perserverance..only I was the only one who did.

The bass player was REALLY good but had a girlfriend problem, the drummer was also pretty ****ing good but had a drug problem, and the singer...well..he wasn't very good. So after about a year of trying to organize shows, and people not showing up at shows, and organizing practices, and people not showing up to those practices, I got pissed. It's like, here I ****ing am using my ****ing time, and the least you could do is help me out! I was doing all the phone calls, doing all the apologizing when shit got broken at the gig, buying the recording equipment, basically all the shit nobody else wanted to do.

So we eventually just broke it off and all went our seperate ways. Now I'm here, a year later and I'm fine. I'm recording on my own, getting ready to put my first demo out and send it out. The bass player and I are still good buds, but the other guys..we don't talk. It sucks too man, because here are these guys who are supposed to be like..your brothers, and to have that dissolve. =/

Anyways, the moral of the story is; Yes, you should put effort into what you're doing but you also need to know when to call it quits. The music business as I'm told is all trial and error. Out of the 100 shots you take, MAYBE 1 will actually lead to something. But the tell-tale sign is. When it stops being fun, the fun needs to stop.

whalepudding
01-14-2007, 03:45 AM
That's exactly like my band I was in before, except the rhythm guitarist wrote really really good stuff. And we sort of kicked out the drummer without telling him, because all he wants to do is play WoW and he lives a million years away from us. And he wasn't really that good a friend.

But we broke up :(

And you should kick the rhythm guitarist out, and you should sing, and you should either look for a new drummer or have a big ole talk with him and get him to take the band seriously.

AmazinAzian014
01-14-2007, 03:50 AM
That's exactly like my band I was in before, except the rhythm guitarist wrote really really good stuff. And we sort of kicked out the drummer without telling him, because all he wants to do is play WoW and he lives a million years away from us. And he wasn't really that good a friend.

But we broke up :(

And you should kick the rhythm guitarist out, and you should sing, and you should either look for a new drummer or have a big ole talk with him and get him to take the band seriously.

Yeah, 3rd paragraph..I said that we broke up as well. But it's a stepping stone, ya know? Live and learn.

whalepudding
01-14-2007, 03:53 AM
Oh. Whoops, I only read your first post, and I was all like, 'OMG, an0ther drUmm3R w0 pl3ys w0W? NO WAI!!!'

metabolicmaggot
01-14-2007, 06:13 AM
This kinda happened to me. I used to be in a band where I was guitarist and vocals but the other guitarist (who was like 12) thought he was the best singer ever and wanted to do every single song. He sucked sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. We pretty much just kicked him out and me and the drummer started a new band that now kicks ass.

TMAW
01-15-2007, 05:28 AM
well, if the other guitarist isnt up to it then tell him to either practice harder, or stop trying to overpower everybody with your big Marshall or just get rid of him, but if he is your firend be nice about it, with the drummer, just tell him to buck his ideas up or get out, but also if its nothing personal tell him that, as well as this reherse away from WoW

muSico
01-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Hire a professional hacker to hack their accounts (WARNING: They might commit suicide). My band had a rhythm guitarist once, but he quit because he plays Tibia all day

greendayguitar
01-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I ahd the same problem, except I was the only dedicated musician in a band of four. I just left and started a enw one.

In your case, you and the Bassist are good friends, and good dedicated musicians. You almost definately have to get rid of the rythm guitarist and recruit another. The drummer; you have to talk to him, see if he actually want to play music, if not, tell him to get out (in a nice way of course :p: ) and bring the other drummer.

Ta-da! Hope that helped.

P.S. If you don't want to hurt their feelings by kicking them out, you could just "quit" and start a new band :p:

Me2NiK
01-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Just to clarify -- rhythm guitarist = singer? Either way, just flat out kick him out. If you're serious about going somewhere you're going to have to make some sacrifices, even if it means you can't play the BotB; it'll be worth it in the long run.
As for the drummer, tell him he's going to have to pick between WoW or the band, and if he doesnt' dedicate himself to the band he's gonna be kicked out (and then kick him out).
I don't understand WoW addiction, it's not even that great of a game.

Nightmare_xxx
01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
that's a bitch, to be honest i think you need to kick the rythm guitarist out, and see if you can get a decent singer. it doesn't matter if they play the guitar or not, just make sure they can sing, THEN get a rythm. i would ask to get the drummer to try and dedicate himself to the drums a bit more but if you're friends and he's good it's just a waste to kick him out, it'll only cause stress. ask him to try and go 2 weeks without playing WoW at all, after that he should hopefully see the light. i had my computer taken away from me for 5 months because i was getting addicted to AoE2 :(

METSOAD
01-17-2007, 04:02 AM
kick our rhythm guitraist, can anyone else in the band sing (pointed at thread starter)